Wake Up - not

I thought about my game experience with this game on GamesCom, again. And I like to remember back and pre-order the game. :smiley:
But looking back this scene at the beginning where Henry is waking up is disturbing me. I think it is not a good writing, when the protagonist is waking up at the beginning of his journey, adventure, plot, life changing events. David Cage is doing it in every game and it is annoying. The daughter from Joel in Last of Us is waking up at the beginning too, but she is not the protagonist. I would like to see Henry in his natural habitat, the party from the day before. Add this scene at the beginning, please. This beginning I would prefer, more than this Wake Up Scene.

Maybe. But the morning or new year and other similar time points are a symbol for a recommencement.

But is not fine if it happens in a lot of dealings and stories. Why the game cannot begin with the party from day before? With folk lore music and the very first decision. Is Henry drinking alcohol or not. :smiley:

BTW. I prefer this Greek play story telling like Disney is doing it in his musical Glöckner von NotreDame/Hunchback of NotreDame or in the Movie Hercules.

They clearly let freedom to players because sooner after wake up, Henrys Mother asks him what he did last night, thus he gets skill points depending on answers.

Personally I would bring more action at the start! I would show (a little part of) the attack and how Henry get´s wounded. And then… a flashback to the last day in peace.
At the moment it last too long till something interessting starts.
You have to play half an hour or more till Skalice is burned down. There could be too many people who will be bored with this beginning. Warhorse has to catch these players with a more dynamic launch.

This is not the problem. A good telling takes time to introduce the world and especially the protagonist. In this way I very like the season Digimon Tamers from the Digimon Franchises. The first episode introduce Takato and in the last 2 minutes the series brings a second important character on the stage. Episode 2 begins where Episode 1 has ended. You get to know the everyday of the Protagonist and how the device to change is effecting this life. It takes a while, 12 episodes, to start the plot but the 12 epsiodes are not unimportant. I like this way of telling.

In games I want to see the life from my new protagonist. Dragon Age Origins did it well. It is upgradeable but a good way. The writer could give use two days before the game starts his (act)ion.

I want experience what my new Protagonist did last day. ^.~

Maybe for you. Not everyone has the patience to wait. Probably 15% or more will not finish the first stage.

You want a little different start, … me too.
You think the game needs a scene before Henry wakes up,… me too.
Party for you, action for me… :slight_smile:

There is a scene in the trailer where Henry is drunken. Looks like they will show him, later in the game, in a bad way.

The other 85 % are in this case the Diablo and Cod Lobby.
But Kingdom come wants to be a rpg like Dragon Age Origins, PillarsofEternity and BaldursGate. This are RPGs with story telling.

you are not going to change anything. the game is about complete and ships out early next year. they are not going to change the entire beginning of the game which has ramifications on everything else based on a forum post from some armchair screen writer. get used to how it is done. plenty of games do in medias res, and plenty do the wake up thing. it has literally zero impact on the game itself. you just have an obsession with one type of overused method over another type. don’t you see how silly and redundant this preference is?

2 Likes

That was rough, but more or less hit the nail on its head. :slight_smile:

No I don’t.
I will buy this game and I have the right to say when in my point of view something is overused in story telling in games. As costumer I have the right to say what I do not like.
And to answering your question. No, I don’t.

I am playing ACO (Assassins Creed Origins) and in the game I am on the point where the story is saying to me that Bayeks son is dead and Bayek does not get over it, the fourth time. That is something I don’t want in a game, too. I am alrready thinking me ‘Bayek, you are annoying me. Get over it. Cooldown boy’. The son does not care to me now.

Similar problems I have with the same beginning, that is used again and again. Joel wakes up after 20 years was skipped to the beginning of the story. Ethan wakes up. Henry wakes up at the beginning.

I wanted to see the game starting with Henry being born, coming out of his mother’s womb, getting his cloth diapers changed, vomiting, breast feeding, throwing temper tantrums and playing and growing up as a little boy, until becoming old enough to be useful as a man and a warrior. (Sarcasm off).

Nope!

I try always give constructive critic to every part of the game. Sometimes WH changes things, somethimes not(after critic from the forum ).
Nothing is set in stone. They had this wake up-start, since they showed prototypes, but they changed so many aspects, … more than once.

No, I just want an additional acton sequence at the start(before he wakes up), to impress the player and bypass time. Now it lasts nearly 10-15 minutes till the first action starts (a minor brawl). That sequence is easy to implement.
At the moment you have the drawn intro with the death of Charles IV, the conflict between Wenceslas and Sigismund. Than come the walkthrough of Henry´s mother trough Skalice. Showing the town, Henry´s father, his work and home. Now the wake up of Henry, first character building, starting bring/fetch quests,… and so on.
It´s a little boring… an action squence would do a miracle.

It kind of reminds me of Fable where you started in your own home, not destroyed or corrupted, but in its intact form and soon it gets destroyed. You get to know your friends and spread your knowledge about world. As the hometown gets raided you are pushed to explore else. I can mention Skyrim was also burnt and if you look at all the best games, you get to know more of developers do that. In Gothic as another example, you triggered conflict between factions and also got destroyed. It worked before and similarly to Mafia, you are led by some bosses to achieve their goals.

I don’t think because plenty of games do this thing make it a bad thing. Pretty sure there are many games which start with a party too…

By the way starting a game by waking up is really a Legend of Zelda thing more than Quantic Dream games…

1 Like