Warhorse Studios discusses - OnlySP articles

Recent write up. Worth reading

Exploring the Past of Warhorse Studios and Kingdom Come: Deliverance – Grand Ambitions, Growth, and Greatness
https://www.onlysp.com/kingdom-come-deliverance-warhorse-studios-interview-part-1/

Warhorse Studios Discusses Its Place in the Gaming Industry — ‘Kingdom Come: Deliverance Is Somewhat Classical, At Least In The Minds of Players’
https://www.onlysp.com/kingdom-come-deliverance-warhorse-studios-interview-part-2/

selected excerpts and thoughts below

1 Like

Jirsa doubts whether mainstream studios in general are involved in a concerted push to increase complexity and player agency

funny. i gave Prokop props in ashes for mimicking one of the distinguishing features of FONV by Obsidian: early(-ier) game decisions (esp regarding individuals and factions) have downstream impact(s).

don’t help out Adam. not recruitable. kill the brother. find another barmaid. etc.

interesting too as Obsidian guy recently visited WH. now, Obsidian is part of MS.

Great idea! Excuse the repetition, but making a mix of my comments (not an ego thing but laziness haha), as I believe that they are related to the discussion (for the sake of constructive criticism):

“[…] KCD was originally planned for PC (have been following its development since a Youtube video in Czech was released in 2010/2011) and not for consoles, and only during the middle/last phase of development, WH were “confident enough” to release it in all platforms. It was a huge mistake, in my opinion, as we all got the unpolished game with missing content we know and some sort of disappointment feeling, instead of focusing first on releasing a polished PC version (as originally planned) and a bit later, making a console version of a final product (the other way around of RDR2).”

"These are the things that happen when WH still don’t fully control their game/engine… Instead of fully dedicating these months to polish it and recover the cut content, and hence cleaning the buggy fame of KCD (Bethesda is fucking worse, don’t get me wrong), WH decided to take the cocky risk (my opinion) of introducing new bugs through creating “new” DLC shallow content which could have easily been part of the final game, for the sake of money… Releasing the modding tools would have made better impression on fans and indeed recover the interest in the game, for free.

Please, Tobi and WH in general, don’t try to find excuses anymore. You can’t blaim all the time the sexist/racist non-sense madness before release, the current studio fame is due to your recent shallow, insufficient work and rather clumsy bug fixing/balancing/optimisation, etc."

"I can assure that WH mostly don’t care that much about our feedback in this forum, as barely any feedback has made the tons of patches (already v.1.7.1 and game is unfinished… If this path continues, they’ll easily reach KCD 2.0 haha). However, they’re very focused on Twitter, where it’s easier to retweet the compliments, even the non-critical fanboys, and make the impression that there is no trouble. It’s a shame, many of us love/d the game and we are/were very receptive, it was like saving QA/QC team a lot of time and to focus where to look (even mods solve/d issues they’re still not even aware of, or they didn’t care to fix).

And waiting to 2019 (unknown date) to realease modding tools, so the modders don’t get your work done in a better way than shallow DLCs? It’s too soon to start copying bigger companies’ model of business…"

1 Like

To me, the DLC/modding tool road map has blinders. Good and bad. Good in sense that WH stays on task. Bad in that feedback (outside bug reporting) gets treated like a Cuman trying to offer Teresa a night on the town in Pribyslavitz

Jirsa echoes this belief: “I think it shows in every project when it’s being made by people who are passionate about it, and I mean passionate not in the way like everybody is hiring people who need to be ‘passionate’. Really, when you like what you are doing, there are a lot of those little things that wouldn’t be there because it wouldn’t be important for any people who don’t really like the product.”

WH forum users are passionate too. might even be more passionate as we derive no financial benefit from our KCD-related activities. in fact, it’s worse… we pay $$$ for the game and DLC, and then spend our own time to participate here, submit save files and bug reports. and it seems to matter fuck all.

2 Likes

Not expecting modders to fix WH bugs, either WH to become Bethesda that soon but the DLCs policy is not helping…

I mean creativity ant talent from many modders that would have already created and expanded KCD gameplay and balance to further boundaries, but couldn’t because of the lack of modding tools (you easily reach the limits, like in modding “random” encounters), got bored/tired and left, until who knows when…

We definitely are passionate and deserved more respect from WH. This is not Twitter but their own forum, despite the lack of feedback.

Seemingly valued at :poop:

1 Like

until proven by WH actions and deeds now and going forward… not sure it’s even valued that much

cowpies can be burned for fuel. night soil can be used to enrich fields. etc

“We are considering switching, of course,” begins Bocan, “but that’s something you do all the time. Like, you know, in our previous companies, we had one engine for, I don’t know, 15 years and we considered switching every day.” He reminisces about a developer conference where multiple studios had complaints about their solutions—CRYEngine, Unreal, Unity, and in-house engines alike—then adds, “Every engine has ups and downs and flaws and troubles, and we are thinking about different engines […] but for now we developed and we changed the engine much. […] It would probably be crazy to throw them away. […] We like our engine.

until the engine delivers in game targets mentioned in the Kickstarter vid (large battles, horsemen NPCs, craft weapons, etc), the talk is underwhelming

1 Like

“Our goal from the beginning was to establish a big studio that can make great games with many people, so we grow all the time,” says Bocan. Stolz-Zwilling is even more explicit about the grand ambitions. “The plan right now is to get a staff of 150 in the next two years […] or next year maybe.”

To better allow for this growth, the team will be moving its office early next year, as the staff numbers are already overflowing. As an example, some of the game scripters are sharing a room with the community management team.

wish WH nothing but success but hope the additions firstly lead to the sooner rather than later implementation of the Kickstarter targets (and more), and then lead to improvements in the quality of releases

1 Like