Weekly Torch - the barrel of questions

Can we turn off weather effects in game, like rain, fog or wind? I just saw a video from beta where on low graphics settings the fog disappeared. I find it nicer without fog but I would not like to decrease my graphics quality by that.

1 Like

Now you can ask questions to our Community Manager Rick Lagnese

1 Like

I would like to know how is the feedback of the people that had a chance to play KCD at a games convention.
Did you noticed some differences in the comments from for example players vs professional game testers, uninformed player vs informed players, contributors vs normal player etc.? And if so, what was it?

3 Likes

Now you can ask Quality Assurance Tester Jan “Detective” Rücker about his job here at Warhorse Studios.

Hey Waldkauz! It’s always a great experience going to events as we get all kinds of feedback. I find that “casual” gamers really like the fact that our game is not necessarily a fighting game. They can enjoy the landscape, the environment, the towns, castles, etc, and make decisions that can potentially lead to being a more merciful and peaceful Henry.

The “hardcore” gamer has shown appreciation for this as well, and they are very excited to see the challenges that they’ll face in Kingdom Come: Deliverance. We’re not going to hold their hand in the game, which gives the player more freedom to take on challenges that others may want to avoid. Now we know that some of the events in the game are unavoidable, but even those events will lead to some big moments in the game. The combat in our game intrigues many, as it can be quite challenging and very rewarding.

I really love it when we hear people say that they have been waiting for a game like this for a very long time. And then when I explain to them all the choices that they can make in the game, they are overwhelmed in the most pleasant way possible.

It’s also equally as interesting when we have gamers who have never heard of our game, and they love to try and compare it to other types of games, such as The Witcher, Skyrim, Oblivion, etc. The more I try and demonstrate to them and show them that the game has hints of these three games (as well as others), they quickly find that our game is still quite different in its own right.

Obviously, we have many who gamers who are very skeptical and I completely understand and respect that. Whenever you try to tell someone that our game is not a fighting game and they are already skeptical about the game, sometimes they tend to think, what kind of game can you actually make without it focusing on the combat? There are so many choices in the game, can your game be broken? How is it going to compete with all the AAA games out there?

February 13th is just around the corner and soon, I believe that our game will influence many others and more importantly, give gamers a video game that we’ve all been waiting for, for a very long time.

6 Likes

Hi there,

I have some Questions:

1:1 How do you classify a bug?
1:2 How would you classify these immersion breaking things:

• breaking things like glued bows to the back
  • scabbards without suspensions
  • Shields without carrying straps
  • Magically litting torches
  • Torches that does not react to rain
  • Disappearing objects (knives, Swords and unforetunately scabbards…)

1:3 Are those aforementioned things on your bug/improvement board as task already recorded
1:4: Are there any strange but not really reproducable bugs, which are funny and could you share them :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a question. It is one of my worries. Since you make it also for the game consoles:
Have you decreased the graphics for the PC version?

No, they’ve answered long time ago about it. They using consoles to make better optimisation, but as you have seen in a new video from them(If you didn’t see it - watch it for 146%), so you can see, that the game became much better. :smiley:

P.S Sorry, i forgot to check the thread.

To me it looked in the videos as if they downgraded the graphics, which would be bad for me because I have 2 x GTX 1080 Ti. I can run it on the highest settings.

To me it looked in the videos as if they downgraded the graphics, which would be bad for me because I have 2 x GTX 1080 Ti. I can run it on the highest settings.

I’ve watched the video in 4k and if to take this as youtube video(not irl playing with your eyes), it still looks cool.
But, maybe, it looks for me cool, cus i’ve never played on max settings in something for long time ago. :sweat_smile:
In any case, the game is still beautiful and looks great in 4K for sure.

yes, but in comparison to previous videos it looks downgraded.

Maybe, it was recorded like that or a little bit compressed at visualization. There’re lots of factors. But, if they did something, it’s still looks not that bad at all. For me, the game looks better now, than before at some aspects. I hope, that your fears at release gonna be false. :wink:

P.S You can always wait for mods and get much better graphics even after release.

Now you can ask question to our Design Lead Viktor Bocan.
Please note that we are in the holiday season now, and it will quite take a while till Viktor will answer your questions. Thank you for understanding.

Quick question here. Havn’t found the answer in the forum so far:

Will it be possible to switch the attack type on poleaxes/warhammers and similar weapons? I.E. switching between the slashing/percing side and the hammer/ blunt side? (similarly to War of the Rose)

Hey, I have more than one question to Victor concerning the actual game condition.
My first would be if the lack of facial expressions and gestures in dialogue scenes will be improved til release?

To me the cutscenes look fine already, not much to do there anymore. But it’s apparent when there are random dialogue scenes. The eyes are just keeping still, also mostly the hands and the rest of the body. It looks really odd and would totally get me out of immersion.

My second one would be, in some of the newer videos we’ve seen some monastery gameplay. In one scene they’re eating all together at a table. But when they eat, there’s nothing on their spoon, and also the suip bowl doesn’t get emptier. Another thing would be the gulasch pots, there’s just a texture which isn’t moving while it’s boiling.
Yes, these kind of things make me looking really fussy, but the overall atmosphere feels so great in KCD, that this would get me out of immersion too, somehow.

My third question is, will there be animals hunting other animals? Like that would really give something to the overall atmosphere in the forest. Just when nothing happens, a deer running like wild from a wolf. That would be great! :smiley:

Btw. sorry for my english and thank u for making the game! I hope it will be a success for you!

1 Like

They are still working on facials. There are only boars. So no hunting each other. As much as I know, boars are eating anything, they are not just predators which occasionally eat grass to get faster digestion.

There aren’t only boars? I’ve seen foxes and many other animals on a map. I think I’ve also seen wolves and deers in some videoupdates.

Btw. I have another question to viktor, will there be fishing and cooking minigames? Would be relaxing to take out the fishing rod and relax at a sea. Isn’t too hard to implement I guess?

What I mean is, boars are only animals attacking Henry, so probably only ones that would be aggressive towards other animals, but I wouldn’t expect animals fighting each other.

ha! Finally my long awaited interview :slight_smile:

1. Compared to Operation Flashpoint (my favourite game even today!) do you have any ideas you could implement in KCD and were not able to implement them during development of original OFP and datadisks because of technical limits of the time? Can possible open world and random encounters be one of the things? I know that creating living open world in OFP was nuts and in the end there was CPU limitation (i tried it several times, scripted prepared bases and outposts with their patrols and simulated areas of influence, everything however was bound to players presence and in the end game was unplayable on PCs at that time, because of low FPS).

2. "You will never have a real combat experience in a game until you get some awesome virtual reality system with perfect haptic feedback. What you CAN get is something that has a similar feeling.
    You can feel the danger. You can feel a weight of the sword in your hand. You can get timing and positioning right and then you can fight in the game like you would in real world."
    Okay, I believe someone from WH mentioned somewhere you in studio were toying with idea of VR support. I do not know if it will be implemented or not (I believe not). What do you think about future implementation in possible next titles of Kingom Come?
    Frankly, I do not believe ANYONE can create perfect sword fighting simulation, even when we are talking about VR with perfect haptic system. One major reason is, you have no chance to simulate sword to sword hit in a game, unless you have two players that fight each other with their swords. When swords hit each other, avatar stops while player and his sword goes through. This deprives experience by very important moment. For average swordsman this moment means crucial understanding of situation that tells him if his prepared movement can be carried out or is predestined to doom. A little bit better swordsman can alter his next move to better suit situation and advanced fighter adapts to new situation to overcome it in next move (in case it does not go as planned or thought). And in case swords stay in physical contact, there is advanced technique of “fulen” where you feel the opponents blade on your’s and with this you decide what advanced technique you wish to use. “Fulen” is truly something for lifelong studies. What I’m writing now is major part of swordfighting, nothing that lies out on boundary.

Another part is that this game would have to handle sword fighting with some kind of advanced physics and mesh collision system, different to current game system, because I do not believe current engine would be able to handle “random” things that human player would do. Matter is, that swordfighting is hard to learn and even harder to master. If newbie wants to perform some technique, he does it wrong every time, by this he continually improves. These “wrong” moves are kinda random. There are “signs” that are, let’s say, common for some techniques and some people, but every time I see a newbie, I usually see new things that he is doing. It’s hard to describe, but common main reason for this, is that rotation of sword usually by a few degrees has crucial impact on swordsman’s ability to withstand incoming hit and also affecting his ability to land a strike in next moment, thus leading to phenomenon of “after-blows”.

This all leads me to my skeptical view on possibility of creating “decent” Kingdom Come game with VR. But who knows, I was skeptical that KCD will ever make it on market and now we are chatting on forums of game that is two and a half months before release :slight_smile:

1. You say about yourself you are a bad programmer. Were you always “only” game designer, or did you try to write program (like a game) from a scratch by yourself? I know you did some indie titles by yourself, but I do not know if you did them alone or in cooperation with someone, also no idea if you wrote engine by yourself, or you used some already prepared one.
2 Likes