Weekly Torch - the barrel of questions

Can we expect new merchandise products in the shop?
Maybe Henrys hand forged “stealth” dagger?
The kickstarter stuff, … the coins etc?
Will there be (another) contest to win cool stuff?
Can we expect a PS4 or X1 bundled with KCD?
Waiting for a new video…

2 Likes

And now you can ask question to our Environment Artist Gabrielle “Brie” Adams. It´s fun! :slight_smile:

Your grafics look fantastic! Can´t wait for more…

I am making LODs (level of detail) <

How many different LOD will we have in the game (PC version)? Any difference to the console version?

Is the bell on the screenshot funktional? Can the player ring the bell?

The trophys on the wall,… can the player hunt all of them?

Usually makes no difference as long as I can give them a stupid name
and laugh when npcs have to say it or when I see it written somewhere.<

You can´t rename Henry,… are you working on the wrong game? :wink:

What is your favorite current game? Which game (and film) is your all time high?

Prage is a nice city. Do you stay longer, and work on… KCD2? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello! I’m glad you enjoy living in Prague. Also, you are doing great work making the world feel alive… I mean dead… eh… believable?

I suppose you meant the Žižkovský tunel. Did you know it is an entrance of a small Vault from 1950’s? No water chip or G.E.C.K. though…

Does all LOD need new textures?

Do you use programs like Quixel or Substance Painter?

How does the true bacon looks like?

Thank you.

1 Like

My QNS:
(1) How do you continue to grow your passion and skills as an artist?
(2) Is there anything on the horizon, an upcoming trend or technology, you’re excited about how it will change the way you create?
(3) How far u used photogrammetry in KCD?
(4) Any Easter Egg u placed already?
(5) How much FPS is increased after applying LODs of objects?
Thank u…

1 Like

If you have any questions to our Senior Technical Designer Petr “Baz” Ondráček, please ask here:

Yo Reeky hows it hanging?

2 Likes

Any chance of Playstation button prompts on the PC? I don’t expect PS controller support, for some reason that’s difficult to do, but I know I’m not the only one that uses PS controllers on PC. An option to display PS button prompts would make using an emulator to get the PS controller working more comfortable to use.

2 Likes

Will your face be in the final game or was it just temporal for the beta?

Have you done some ingame acting in general?

I can easily turn Henry (our main character) into my face,<

Maybe the better choice, I dont like the new face of Henry :wink:

Edit: Stop wait! If its easy… Why not make more than one presets of Henrys face? Many want to have a different one.This is a game of decisions!!! Let’s give them a choice…

Edit2: Can we expect different face (textures) of Henry(and maybe NPCs),… with wounds, black eyes, scares. Depending if Henry was in trouble, in a fist fight or meet an angry women?

Can you explain the schematic in pic2 a little?

You mentioned Ambermoon; which RPG are great on PC and a must play? I like the storydriven more than hack n slash…?

you look at the other game as a "competitor.<

Is there anything, you wanted to have it in the game, but it was not possible? Something that make “competitors” better (like children)?

Fighting is not the best way to solve a problem/game(for me). Is it possible to finish KCD without killing a NPC?

we’re almost finished! <

Nice to hear, but the last 10% are the most challenging. :blush: Can´t wait for the final game. After feature freeze and internal beta (?end of the year?) Warhorse needs some months for bug fix. I think earliest date should be May. What do you say??? :blush:

Is there a plan to make a demo of KCD after release? Maybe something like the beta but optimized?

1 Like

My Qns:
(1) How much you are proud of the AI system in KCD?
(2) As a Senior Technical Designer, do people come to you for solving the technical issues or do you task others to solve problems diagnosed by you? Which one happens most?
(3) Are there cutscenes in side quests?
(4) Any other funny bug?
(5) For this year, if you are given a chance, which game will you award for the Best Technical Design?
Thank you

2 Likes

which of the things you had to cut out from game for money/time reasons will you miss most?
Will AI work like planned, or some compromise had to be made?
What improvements to combat you did since last beta?

3 Likes

I would like to understand how the Quest scripting works in AI system. I saw everything you shared about the matter so I have some basic idea about your AI system and how NPCs rutines are implemented in it(using logical boxes forming a branching tree etc…). But I cannot quite imagine how Quests are injected into this AI system… Could you give some trivial quest example and clarify how it looks under the hood please?

2 Likes

Well it is easier to show than tell by words :slight_smile: First of all you have a controlling object (Quest Smart Object), that receives messages from quest system about this or that quest objective status change (objectives can start, fail, complete or cancel). This message goes into the brain of QSO and there is small subtree about what to do. For example you find on link from QSO an NPC and send him a message about changing its daycycle behavior (from now on, you will regularly go to meet John by the church). These we call patches to the standard daycycle. It also might have some more things to do: add some new item into inventory of player, complete some related objectives, calculate a ballistic curve or whatever. We simply split up the whole quest on events connected to quest objective changes. One can change objective status in many ways: enter some area, ending dialog with some particular response, collecting 10 wolfskins in inventory, etc. The quest flow is however visualised differently than as a tree (because quest is not a tree :slight_smile: We use crytech’s flow graphs for visualisation, where nodes of flowgraph represent objectives and arrows represent which objective’s completion (automatically) starts which objective. If quest is linear, this flowgraph is a line with quest start node on the left and quest complete node on the right. Does this answer your question a bit?

6 Likes

Thank you for the explaination.
Interesting, but sounds a little static. Always like …if than… If there are 5 times the same start parameter, the result will always be the same. I hoped there will be more AI „magic“. Looks like, the player (Henry) has to trigger something different, to change the result. It´s not the high dynamic environment, with changes, without scrippting the daily cyclus of the NPCs,… I wished… :slight_smile:

Sometime I stand still and only watch the world of KCD,… something like sitting in a coffeeshop and watching people living their live…
Doing this 30 minutes in game without watching repeat something would we the next gaming level :wink:

And now you have the opportunity to ask questions for our Video Editor Václav Prchlík:

My Qns:

(1) Any plans to release CG or live action trailer for marketing purposes just like in other games viz witcher?
(2) Did you do the Alpha teaser video?
(3) Do you have any plan to release bugs compilation videos?
(4) Which is your favorite game trailer released in recent times?
(5) Could you please post any beautiful screenshots for my desktop wallpaper?
(6) Do you also do mimicry apart from t-rex?
Thank you!

4 Likes

@ Gabrielle: This is just a short Comment:
Your Work looks amazing, i love the colors you pick up for the Game, and the Feeling they show.

very very nice Work!!!

2 Likes

Thank you, she was very delighted about your comment. :slight_smile:

Ask some questions to our QA-Tester @ProkyBrambora: :wink:
You will find his interview here.

@ProkyBrambora Hey buddy!

How has becoming a QA tester effected your desire to play the final product?

3 Likes