What armor are you interested in?

Yes, in 1450 they became populair

Out of place of what? OP didnt say time period, just what armour are we interested in.

1 Like

The OP said: [quote=“James1, post:1, topic:20351”]
I think I would like to use
[/quote]

Use in the game. The game is set in 1403. So from that you have your time period. Unless you think he was talking about using them for something else in his mentioning of speed and stealth?

Unable to open them, but I get what they are. I don’t say leather weren’t used at all, but the idea that leather jerkins and other leather “armor” was a common light armor or cheap armor, is just wrong.

Was pretty sure that he wondered what armors we were interested to see in the game

Yeah I guess you are right, but you should educate the ones wanting heaps of leather armor in the game before me;)

Leather armor was not rare, and in fact was better than plate armor since you could actually move around it it.

shall I slap you now or later?
You can fight perfectly in plate armor. Nothing more to say.
Maybe this will open your eyes. Youtube Video

Take a look 1390-1400 (this one’s from italy though) Click me It 's quite similar to the helmet I posted. And yes of course, “real” sallets are too late, but this transitional type could be implemented.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong picture. I meant this one. Take the faceguard away and you are pretty close to the piece I mentioned above.

Kinky :wink:

That’s propaganda. Plate armor weighed in at around 150 lbs, and a person wearing it would have to move extremely slowly.

Now for the king of armor

Why do people keep regurgitating such utter crap.

Even jousting armour was lighter than 100lb, and most examples of C15 war harness are in the region of 60-70lb.
If it was adjusted correctly it should impede movement only modestly - it is possible to swim, perform gymnastics and fight in harness.

@Aradiel

Forget the helm, I want HER in the game.

@SirWarriant Troll successful.

2 Likes

This guy trolls a lot like this. :stuck_out_tongue: Don’t get too excited.

2 Likes

No Armor
 only civil clothes

Leather armor is very rarely, if ever depicted on medieval tapestries, nor found archeologically. (And no, if it was common they would be sure to find some in a well preserved place)[quote=“SirWarriant, post:128, topic:20351”]
and in fact was better than plate armor since you could actually move around it it.
[/quote]
It’s a typical misconception that plate plate armor was hard to move around in.
Please don’t make stupid assertions like these, if you have no clue

After looking at all your retarded posts i’m starting to wondering if you are just a very dedicated troll

Confirmed like two three posts north.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that leather tends not to survive very well, so it’s dangerous to use a lack of period examples as evidence it didn’t exist at all. IE its speculated the Sutton Hoo shoulder clasps were part of a leather cuirass, and that the clasps survived, but the cuirass disintegrated over the centuries.

Medieval artwork is likewise of suspect reliability as a solitary source, as it is heavily open to interpretation. IE the “studded leather” stupidity is largely based upon misinterpretations of Medieval depictions of brigandine.

Keep in mind, for a LONG time we thought the concept of a supporting bra was a modern invention
until examples dating to the 15th century were discovered stuffed into a castle wall as insulation. Hell, practitioners of Western Martial Arts are STILL fighting misconceptions in the public consciousness resulting from the lack of an unbroken tradition of the practice, and loss of manuscripts and other materials (IE only the German and Italian manuscripts are known in any detail, the English are fragmentary, and almost nothing at all has survived of the French or Spanish).

There’s a LOT that’s missing from the historical record simply because it doesn’t survive the centuries without special care because of environmental factors, or simply because of human bastardry by destroying artifacts.

1 Like

I agree with all you’re saying. I don’t deny that leather armor excisted in some forms either, there is cuir bouilli (hardened leather), which there are no findings on as a complete suit of armor, but it is speculated if cuir bouilli was used as an early form of coat of plates (as far as I know coat of plates is also a topic there is too little knowledge about, since knights would wear a surcoat over it, so it’s hard to tell from tapestries). Cuir bouilli was also used for arm and leg defense in the 14th century.
I am sure someone throughout history have gone to battle clad in some form of soft leather. Also there is leather lammelar armor, (which actually is complete leather armor, but not in a single piece that most RPG inspired leather fanboys picture it) and brigandine with leather as the fabric (where the leather itself isn’t the armor).
If I will speculate why it possibly wasn’t popular in history, the problem is that thin unhardened leather doesn’t really provide much protection on it’s own, so then soldiers would rather wear a gambeson. And hardened leather can indeed be though, but in that state it won’t be flexible enough to be worn as a single piece, so it needs to be split up in smaller segments in the form of lammelar or other cuir builli armor types. I can’t tell why people didn’t try to create big plate segments of cuir bouilli before 13th to 14th century, but I guess this technology evolved along with plate armor and the way these segments were shaped.

I agree that the tapetries allows for artistic creativity, or perhaps some of the artists behind them didn’t have full knowledge of what they depicted (for instance we can see swords splitting helmets, which were unlikely). However when we see other armor types that were common, like gambeson or mail, it would be weird if leather armor was never depicted, if it was very common. In conclusion I don’t deny that leather armor was used to some extent, and on some parts of the body, but I find it unlikely that it was some kind of common cheap armor or light armor throughout the middle ages, like many people seems to believe.

1 Like

The problem with working with leather is that it’s EXTREMELY sensitive. It has to be boiled at just the right temperature, for just the right length of time, and you had to get it on the forms very quickly. Some friends of mine experimented with making cuir bouilli gauntlets, and if they didn’t get it exactly right the pieces would either end up too brittle, or too thick to use, or wouldn’t take the right shape. There was VERY little margin for error.

Paradoxically, I believe metal armor was actually EASIER to make than hardened leather. The main advantage of leather would have been the cost and availability of materials.