What is Henry's social status?

At the start of the game, what is Henry’s status in society?

• Is he considered an adult, or is he under the guardianship of his parents?
  • Is he a serf, tied to the land and owing labor to Lord Radzig, or a freeman?
  • Do his parents own property (their house, the forge, the land they sit on, etc.), or do they rent it from Lord Radzig?
  • Would it be correct to say he is his father’s apprentice?
  • In general, how does he rank socially as compared to other commoners like store owners, millers, farmers, innkeepers, guardsmen, weavers, tanners, scribes, dyers, etc.?
1 Like

your pretty much a peasant… im not gunna say shit . but even after the game ends and you know some things because you seen some things . they still dont refer to you with the correct title. . clothing seems to be the the number 1 thing that affects the way people address you.

1 Like

*you’re not your

2 Likes

sorry if your offended you 319ec13f510931ce951000256b0c339e

7 Likes

I think you should become Hans Captain when he becomes the Lord of Rattay.

if we ever get to see that, that would be sweet.

2 Likes

Per table put together by @fireundubh, Henry is lower class. What that means in game mechanic I have no idea as Capon is at one point also considered lower class

really? when . i never thought that when i played. hunaush was always saying people might look at him like that because of hans 's actions ( drinking and fighting) but i never looked at him as such. care to elaborate a little.

Yeah, click on table link above… at that point, Hans Capon is classified as a soldier. Need @fireundubh or a different modder to explain how social class impacts NPC interactions

ty, i didnt notice at first table was link. thats very interesting… i wana be highborn henry now lol . ty vm frel.

Well, taking into account their interactions with sir Radzig, although few in number…

Is he considered an adult, or is he under the guardianship of his parents?
That’s hard to say, since we don’t know his exact age.

Is he a serf, tied to the land and owing labor to Lord Radzig, or a freeman?
I think he is a freeman, a medieval English analog would be called a franklin or just a freeman.

Do his parents own property (their house, the forge, the land they sit on, etc.), or do they rent it from Lord Radzig?
Most likely they own the property, but the land is granted by sir Radzig for the service of the blacksmith.

Would it be correct to say he is his father’s apprentice?
Well, of a kind, yes.

In general, how does he rank socially as compared to other commoners like store owners, millers, farmers, innkeepers, guardsmen, weavers, tanners, scribes, dyers, etc.?
He is a son of a craftsman, i. e. his father stays in a similar category that weavers, tanners, scribes, and dyers do.

2 Likes

I think at the end of his story Henry should at least hold the title of knight.

1 Like

To hold the title of knight one had to be of noble birth. And it would hardly be the case even if Radzig acknowledged him officially as his son, since he is essentially an illegitimate son.

1 Like

don’t know medieval Czech history but have to imagine ‘things happen’. in fact, remember reading nobility in HRE was (in part) based on meritorious acts and not just a matter of official noble bloodlines.

Yes, this is true. There are many facts when people of vile birth were knighted, so it is possible after all. Perhaps, considering his age, which I imagine to be below 18, he would be made a squire first, which is actually implied in the game in one of the cutscenes.

1 Like

This is just act one for Henry. there’s still two acts to go🙂

My believe is that, according to everything we are told in the game, that Henry (Skalitz) is a freeman under oath to Sir Radzig due to Martin, Henry’s ‘father’, being a veteran swordsman from somewhere else (I believe in the HRE) who found in multiple wars before settling down in Skalitz as a blacksmith.

After the Skalitz massacre, Henry is either a garrisoned soldier or squire of Sir Radzig’s retinue, so he’s still a freeman, but slightly more elevated. Squires are only of noble birth however, so being Sir Radzig’s squire makes Henry unknighted nobility, so it’s really a toss-up here if Henry is a soldier or a squire, since being a soldier makes him the carrier of the law (police) but if he’s a squire he can’t be arrested. Taken back to Sir Radzig, yes, but otherwise nothing can happen to him.

After the whole bullshit shitstorm at Vranik, Sir Radzig recognizes Henry, making him lower nobility at the end of the game. Basically nobody can touch him except other nobility, though the black stain of being a bastard is going to be a bad blow to Sir Radzig’s honour (though with Sir Hanush’s reaction upon Henry finding out, I don’t think anyone cares that Henry is a bastard, so he is nobility)

4 Likes

He’s still a peasant in the eyes of the law.

While he IS Radzig’s bastard, he can only be counted as nobility once Radzig formally petitions him as his legal son with acknowledgement/approval of the king. Since the King is under custody of the hungarian king…

Henry, like capon, is going to have to wait for the king’s release to be elevated.

2 Likes

His Grace Lord Capon calls Henry yokel. And something like a dung grabber, which is in czech translated as a “lopata”, which means “shovel” in english.

1 Like

a lot of the issues of rank and status is not a question of legality but power.
If you behave like you are important and people treat you like you are important, then you are… until the time someone with more power than you, decide to treat you like you are a no body.

As long as Henry is in this area where Radzig is important and is friend with the other important men, then clearly Henry (at the end of the game) will generally be treated with respect.

2 Likes