What toponyms mean

What does “Vranik” mean? I think it’s about something small, petty? Little mountain?

Other town names are interesting too. If you know the story, don’t be shy to share!

Vraník is word for a horse of black color in czech. But who knows why is that place named like that :smiley:

1 Like

Thx for sharing. Would’ve been funny if Pie (escaped horse’s name?) were that color and had escaped to the clearing in front of the palisade wall

That would be quite a long way for him :grinning:. If you want to explain some other name, I can try.

Thanks for Vranik! It was stupid of me to forget the Slavic root “vran” for black color.

A wager anyone? My ideas about other names:

• Talmberg - the German for a settlement in a hollow or a valley
  • Rattay - judging by the size of the town, it can be linked it with the German word Rathouse (a city hall)
  • Neuhof - again, it’s a German for “new town” (or “new yard”, if the horse farm was the first what they built there)
  • Uzhits - a narrow river
  • Skalice - a rocky landscape

Need help with:

• Sasau, Merhojed - look a bit German, but I doubt they are
  • Samopesh - looks Slavic, but I think it’s a German root here
  • Ledechko

I will write the names in original czech form. Some of them I knew and the more complicated ones I found on internet.

Talmberg - yes, it’s german, it means probably “hill in the valley”
Rataje - “rataj” is old czech word for a farmer or ploughman, so it’s called like that probabaly because a lot of farmers settled there.
Neuhof (in czech Nový dvur) - yes, you are right.
Užice - could be derived from an old name of a founder, or from “užina” = narrow place.
Stríbrná (silver) Skalice - yes, rocky landscape.
Sázava (Sasau) - named after nearby river, name probably has something to do with a mud in the river.
Mrchojedy (Merhojed) - this is funny and weird, in English it could be translate as “Carrioneaters”. Probably named because people there did eat a dead bodies. “mršina/mrcha” = carrion, “jedení” = eating. Most likely created by some neighbour settlers as a mocking name to embarrass them, and it stayed like that :smiley: It’s very weird name even for Czechs.
Samopše - it’s actually explained in the game codex “it was renowned as a centre of agriculture and for an ancient species of wheat locally known as “samopše-špalta” (Samopesh-spelt), from which the village derives its name.”
Ledečko - probably derived from a name of man called “Ledek”, who settled there.

I hope it helped. If you want some more name explain, tell me :smiley:

5 Likes

Great, thanks!

Mrchojedy might have an origin in a period of famine, where locals had to resort to eating carcasses of dead farm animals, which have starved to death.

Sasau could be a toponym of celtic origin from the word Satios which means grove, so it would loosely translate as a “river which flows through the pine tree groves”. Second theory is that it is of slavic origin and would be related to the fact that the river carries a lot of clay sediments, so it would be a “river which deposits clay”. Funnily enough, both could have a basis in reality as each culture could have assigned its own meaning to the original river’s name, based on what was more important for them.

Ledečko is kind of a mystery to me, I haven’t been able to find much about the origin of the name online either.

I love toponyms, they often carry so much history in a single word.

3 Likes

Interesting read , thank you all.

Sasau is “Sázava” in Czech, and the name seems very Slavic to me. Czech river names often end with “-ava” - Sázava, Vltava, Úslava etc. I even read some theory that “ava” could mean “water” in some proto-slavic language.

I found 3 explanations. First: from celtic sath-ava, meaning “river flowing through pine woods”. Second from czech origin “usazovat”, meaning sediment going down the water and making it murky. Third is from word “saze”, which mean “soot”. I think the second one is probably right, but who knows.

2 Likes