What we know about modding (so far)

@AliiusCrix It does work. Deleting .tbl files in the base .pak files is really not a good solution.

@AliiusCrix and @fireundubh
Thanks a lot for your clarification. :smiley:
I tested it now for myself too and both ways work for me. Deleting the .tbl file in the original .pak file or including a zero .tbl directly in my own mod.

Yes that’s certainly true that both ways could do issues. But until we know how to edit .tbl files, it seems there is no other way to create mods which change something in .xml files which have also the related .tbl files.

Hey guys,

sorry if this post is not extremly relevant for your researches, but I’m really interested to mod this game.
So just to be sure I understood well, there isn’t, for now, any way to add content to the game, just tweak values, right ?
Also I spotted some posts about a modding tool made by WH, is there any ETA somewhere ? Even if I’m guessing they are busy fixing the game right now

Anyway, I will do my own researches once I finished the game, and thanks to your efforts, I won’t start from scratch. Awesome work guys, keep it up, I will inform you if I find anything on my side.

What do you mean by “content”?

Let say a quest for example ? New voice lines ? New maps ?

Hi, just one question I already posted on another topic but it’s not a problem. Do you think to be able to extract and edit contrast values of the game to give it the much more natural colors like previously in the beta ?

It appears that they boosted colors contrast and maybe saturation too for the release version and now it has less natural looking than before (according to my taste of course).

Do you not know what Reshade is?

Reshade does not return the beauty, tried many versions

I was talking to the guy who disliked the colors
which is easily adjusted with Reshade.

Yes I already know Reshade, I’m using it in some other games. I already tried some presets to ajust colors but i can’t achieve the same results for the moment.

2 Likes

Yups.Thats gonna help a lot of people jere @McWonderBeast

Any luck regarding AI behaviour and NPCs scripting?
Interesting messages related, in this thread: @user, #number

@Mercuito, #2 and #36
@AliiusCrix, #32
@SwissHalberdier, #45

Thanks for your valuable comments, fellas :wink:

1 Like

How do we add something as a brush? I’ve tried dragging and dropping into the Asset Browser as well as the Object Browser → Brush window (located on the left side of CryEngine). Could someone explain how to add something as a brush?

Just right click on the object and “convert to brush”

Thanks for responding, it means a lot. I think my problem is that I cannot even add an asset into the Sandbox to begin with. For example, I have tried dragging and dropping the file, from Windows Explorer, into the Asset Browser panel of the Sandbox; sadly, this did not work.

I guess a better way to form my question is, how do we add assets into the Sandbox to have the ability to right-click the object and convert to brush? By default, the objects are not present in CryEngine, so the objects need to be present in CryEngine in order to right-click them and convert to brush. How is this done?

Download one of the sample projects from the CryEngine workshop. Move the KC:D .pak files (character.pak, clothing_01.pak, etc.) into your CryEngine project directory. With the sample project open, click File -> Open to load a map. Then use the object browser to find the clothing items.

1 Like

For those of you who are interested in opening KCD textures:

• Download this tool made for Star Citizen https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/369524/sc-texture-converter/p1
  • Extract it somewhere.
  • Find a texture from KCD (for example /Data/textures.pak/Textures/terrain/grass/grass_01_diff.dds) and copy it into the folder where the tool is extracted.
  • IMPORTANT : Almost every texture is acompanied with several files (mip maps) named like the main texture, except for their extensions, which go from 1 to N. The example above has 6 mips named “grass_01_diff.dds.1” to “grass_01_diff.dds.6”. You have to copy them along with the main texture, otherwise you won’t be able to convert it.
  • Run “sctexconv_1.3.exe”, let it do its job, and voilĂĄ, you have a .TIF image that can be opened in any DCC tool like Photoshop, GIMP or whatever.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Hey, sorry for the late reply.
I tested various script files, however. I was thinking about attaching ollydb or another debugger to try and see for sure where AI gets processed; however I never got around to it, other things took priority. Anyways, I feel most of the AI logic is not done in the scripts, it is done somewhere in the WHGame.dll sitting next to the game’s exe. This is sad news as it’s not readily modifiable, and unless Warhorse has intentions of releasing the source files, I don’t see this being very ‘mod friendly’. I think one would have to resort to .dll injection, and do things the way GTAV’s Scripthook does things.

This could be simply from my lack of understanding of the engine’s architecture and how it all gets pieced together, but I’m really surprised they took this approach if they intended the game to be moddable from the start , unless replacing models and textures was the extent of their mod support goals.

1 Like

I have a mostly complete list of Lua functions and their parameters, as well as a mostly complete list of stat and derived stat abbreviations for use as buff parameters. This information includes functions and stats/derived stats that are not used anywhere in the game data. I’m waiting on Wikidot to see if they’ll give me a wiki, so I can put all this information online a la the CreationKit.com wiki for Skyrim/Fallout 4.

So, basically, what I’m saying is that I’ve created a scripting reference, and Warhorse should totally hire me.

2 Likes