What's up with beta graphics?

I’ve played Alpha v0.1 and Alpha v0.4, and they both look beyond great, the graphics are amazing, unbelievably realistic, and yeah it’s all good on Alpha, but what happened to it in Beta?
It’s like the graphics got worse in Beta, is it because of performance or something else?

I came to the same places with all the same graphic settings, and they look a little bit same but not that much, all places look much better in Alpha then they do in Beta, don’t know if Beta had some color changes to the camera or something, but the places look dull.
I doubt that it’s the weather because half of the things were changed too, like you can’t even walk through big grass, while in Alpha you could walk through anything while in forest, and it was amazing to explore it that way too.
Here are the pictures I took from Alpha version, unfortunately I couldn’t take pictures in Beta for some reason, but if you’ve played Beta you’ll probably see the difference.

Maybe it’s just my eyes, but take a look for yourself and tell me if there were some color changes or something in Beta.

1 Like

Henry’s eyes in the beta are definitely more glassy looking than 0.5. You have to remember the early alphas ran better, and so perhaps had more detail, because there was less for them to display overall. The beta runs at 30-35 FPS and that’s not good enough for release.

Yeah, that’s what I thought too, but not minding the details, it’s just that color shading looks kinda dull on the Beta, there aren’t any lively colors there.
I don’t even mind that it barely hits 30 FPS for me, I’m still enjoying it, but I often play Alpha just because of the good looking lively colors and that you can explore forests more openly, without hitting the invisible wall when there’s a huge grass that you can’t go through.
I just hope that the Alpha colors will be back in the full release as it looks so damn good and realistic, really an enjoyable experience when playing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are some mods of the beta:

I know with other games, you need high res texture packs to really get the most out of them. So even if the release version is lacking, all hope is not lost.

Agreed about the invisible walls. Worst design decision ever. I hope they keep those out of release.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I think the game looks amazing although I still need to download and try the new update that says it fixed the washed-out colors.

I wholeheartedly agree about the need to get rid of the invisible walls. It takes a bit of the “open” out of “open-world”.

Damn are there any pics? I’d like to see graphics now. :smiley:

Alpha 0.5 I think and then the Beta introduced the experimental global illumination (SVOTI as Crytek calls it). This made the shadows (areas without direct illumination from the sun) look almost unbelievably realistic and I REALLY hope it will make it into the final game, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEfqtOYjolE. But it was a major change in the lightning system, so I think they didn’t have time to update the rest of the settings and the sunlit areas are a little washed out in the Beta. After all, these kinds of tweaks are done late in the development, and I hope this is what Dan Vavra is referring to in his tweet.

As for the invisible walls in the forests, as far as I can tell, they are caused by “invisible objects”, i.e., the models are not visible but they still cast shadows (and collisions). So obviously a bug. They were reported and the reply was that these things had been fixed in their internal builds: http://support.kingdomcomerpg.com/issues/35. I haven’t stumbled upon any other invisible walls.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info!

The first picture looks nice, but the other two still look dull, but it’s probably because of the cloudy weather in-game, as the first picture has sunny weather and outside the house looks nice.

But still damn, the forests in third picture and knowing that you can explore them all, can’t wait for the game to come out. :grin:

The two outdoors screenshots look as if taken from a Xbox 360 version, or something. Flat lighting, even though it’s blue sky. Judging by these screens the game is looking nowhere near as good as before. What is going on?

1 Like

Any screens from fixed version ? :slight_smile:

It is dark, but I really like the ambient light.
It seems to be the best so far. Though it is hard to say until I can made screenshot at noon.

The bit I’m really interested in is the new bar for stamina - with the different portion at the bottom of the range. Wonder how that works now.

little bit blurry? cant see anything big from that perspective. :wink: