Why does the game continue to not save when sleeping?

Intended? Bug? I’m not sure, I waited a good while before picking the game up and I’m loving it. HOWEVER I have a huge issue, which is the game doesn’t always save when sleeping and no I’m not canceling out of it either. I’ve lost over 2 hours of progress on more than one occasion due to bad decisions and wanting to go for a different outcome to having my game lock up/crash. Only to go to load game and find that my last save is over 2 and a half hours old, when I had slept in a bed all of 5-10 minutes earlier…

Why is this a thing?

Not all beds save the game.

1 Like

Is their a justification or logic to it? I mean don’t
owned" beds provide higher comfort, and you always(almost) have access to your stash box, so their is that benefit. I thought as long as you slept at least an hour or 2, didn’t matter where the game would save.

Well good to know at any rate, guess I’ll just go to an inn more often or go out of my way to a near by camp in the future, thanks.

“Bad design” is the only explanation I come up with.

This one will save the game:

This one won´t:

Also:
*only owned beds can save the game
*only owned beds have icon on the compas
*owned beds not ancestrally provide higher comfort

1 Like

Not sure I agree the “bad design” theory. If every bed in the game allowed a save, they may as well have scrapped a unique save system and allowed players to smack F5 and quicksave whenever they felt threatened. Would’ve been good to make all this clear to new players though.

I went into pribyslavitz and cleared it (this was while the “scouting” mission was active). Found ONE Sleep and save bed.

I was traveling around north of Neuhof, came upon a “camp.” There was a Sleep and Save bed there.

South of Neuhof there are two shacks. One on either side of the river. In one is an “accident” including a dead-body. Both of them have a “sleep and save” hay pile in them.

This just scratches the surface of seemingly random beds which are not in any clear sense “owned” by Henry where one can sleep and save. They seem to be littered in a random fashion all over the map.

Now maybe there was a mutiny among the level designers who decided to put all these in the game and the directors didn’t find out until it was too late, but in any event: I don’t consider this to be “good design.” It is not consistent. It is not clear. It is not realistic. It is not “historically accurate.” I’m even a bit dubious that it somehow contributes to “good game play,” though I will admit, I have been somewhat won over to the idea of limiting player capacity to save the game.

Like I’ve said before: it makes no sense that the player cannot sleep effectively anywhere. What, after all, is the difference between “this hay pile here” and that one out there in the barn or the one under that tree log down the road? People have been sleeping on the ground in “undesignated spots” for millennia and the game acknowledges this with the absolutely spartan nature of the “beds” we pay to own or otherwise have given to us; they are, for the most part, piles of hay!

The limited saving functionality could be retained in many different forms while allowing the player to sleep anywhere and even to sleep and save “anywhere,” just not “any time.”

I don’t have the answer to these design questions, though they are something that intrigues me. I think the real trick is to step back and ask: HOW does reducing a player’s capacity to create save files enhance game play?

6 months ago, I definitely would have scoffed at the idea that such a mechanic enhances game play at all, and even now I remain undecided, dubious you could say. But I’m open to being convinced that it does actually contribute positively to game play in a way which players would appreciate if it were explained to them.

Well, I can only speak for myself here. But, if I haven’t saved in a couple hours and just slept on a palette that didn’t save the game for me, I would be far less likely to stand my ground against 4 or 5 bandits/cumans on the road than if I knew that everywhere I sleep would save me loosing two hours of gameplay and experience. I have done this,btw and sure it’s a bitch when you bite off more than you can chew, but that’s life, isn’t it.

1 Like

“I don’t consider this to be “good design.” It is not consistent. It is not clear. It is not realistic.”
You consider saving as realistic feature?

Saving is the MOST realistic thing in ANY game!

No saving: game basically doesn’t exist! :thinking:

I roam around off the roads a lot and find a lot of the delightful “easter eggs” they put in the game (old celtic carvings, hidden camps, random loot). I also find a lot of “beds” and I’m here to tell you: they ARE scattered all over the map.

1 Like

Just so… Which makes the game more enjoyable, really, for everyone. Those who want to save their progress at short intervals can do so and those who prefer to push their luck by not saving for a few hours can do that as well. But henry still needs his r&r.
Sooo, if you choose to sleep w/out saving for quite a while, you obviously have much more to lose in a random encounter on a lonely forrest trail, thus triggering a very realistic fight or flight response as opposed to having just awoken from a peaceful, saving, slumber at the inn in the glade 10 minutes earlier.
To each, his own really.
Also, it occurs to me that what I’d said earlier about the F5 button has actually been in the game from the start in the form of saviour schnapps.:yum:

I have exactly the same problem.
It’s a bug. Somehow the save is corrupted and when the game trys to load it, doesn’t work and it loads the next save file. The first save, that failed to load, it’s gone.
It’s not happening all the times, but ya, I experienced the same…
but since money it’s not the problem, I save with the Savior Schanpps. Never had a problem with that.

1 Like

You can sleep and save on a the benches in the Tavern in the FtA town in P.Slav

1 Like

The limited save mechanic is fine, my problem was that like others have stated the Sleep and Save outside of Henry’s actually owned beds seems random. Sometimes your out and about in the wilderness or even in a town and some beds/sleeping spots you can save, and other you can’t and its inconsistent and poorly explained.

Either all beds should have allowed the Sleep and Save or only beds physically owned by Henry so you’d have to go to a town, tavern, or Bath House to use this option.

1 Like

If your on horse back bandits and the like pose zero threat to you as long as you don’t get thrown, even very early game. Once I figured out the timing for my stabs and slashes while mounted you can just cleave through large groups. During the prologue I was easily able to kill every single Cuman once you initially escape Skalitz and my only instance of being injured was from one of the like 7 archers firing at me (hitting me once for like 7 damage).

Saves primarily for me were only done prior to making quest choices, or prior to screwing around, like killing everyone in a town.

2 Likes

I recently started a new playline in which I don’t use a horse. Pebbles is parked at Neuhof. Don’t take weapons that Henry lacks the stats to use. Don’t sleep/save for 2-3 game days. And make my money mostly from selling herbs, poaching and playing dice. This is in “hardcore mode” which I actually found easier, in some ways, than normal mode.
Not having that distracting star in my face while trying to focus on my attacker was a big help.
This makes random encounters way more exciting for me, but Henry does sometimes end up as the pig showing up willingly for the slaughter.
Also plan on keeping this Henry lightly armored, using only chainmail with (maybe ) a scullcap or kettlehat.
See how this goes.

1 Like

It only works in certain beds. If it says sleep and save and you’re still not catching your save tough luck I guess. Just save and exit if its your end of play time or use schnapps/bath houses. Bummer

1 Like

That and you have too many saves stored

Glad to see you still around Orc,

1 Like