Will there be guns in the game?

I agree there should be very limited to no guns. After all when you go sword verses gun sword normally loses.

Well, when you have a period gun and I have a sword and I am charging towards you then you better run away because you have no chance of loading and igniting the gun fast enough. You’d have better chances with a bow or a crossbow (provided I don’t wear full plate, then you also better run away).

Yes, I know.
But still don’t like it. :wink:

This seems to be about the fastest you can fire a handgonne, minus the bullets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD6SbAzdvc8

Ok, that is faster than I thought (my guess was once a minute). Still with the bullets it will take about 20 seconds to fire each shot. That is way too slow for personal defence.

Yeah, it’s not a personal defence weapon. You can’t keep it loaded in case it goes off. It’s not ideal to use it in rainy weather (although the guy in the video is.) It’s not accurate at all. What it relies on is lot of noise and firing at formations, hitting some troops with devestating force. Imagine if you’re in a formation, you are not used to loud bangs like that. Your unit is quickly advancing towards a lot of wagons these Hussite heretics have placed up
 and all of a sudden, there are loads of deafening bangs everywhere, there’s smoke, there’s horses panicking, and there are friends around you with big holes or dents through their plate armour, or missing a face. It’s scarier than it’s deadly. Now, you are standing there, a bit disoriented, looking around you, people start screaming or running away. The Hussite handgonners are reloading, which takes time, but they don’t worry, they have a lot of crossbows aimed at you too, and they fire at you with great accuracy and good enough penetration.

So yeah, you have loads a bunch of handgonnes aimed at a bunch of soldiers in tight formation. You don’t have it at home in case there’s a burglar, or some highwayman along your travels.

2 Likes

You are not adding anything relevant to this topic
 and you should reread it, because you missed some important details.

Guns where around. (I allready mention that one source tell us that 25% of the ranged handweapons used by the Hussites where firearms. Is is mentioned in the different books about the war, published by “Osprey Publishing”)
They where cheaper to make than crossbows.

Off cause this act is some 15years before the start of the war
 so they are likely not yet that common
 but they are off cause known and in some use.

Iam very much in the “we want guns” camp. Because they where used.
But it should be done properly. It would not be a weapon someone pulls out from under hit shirt and stats shooting.

One option could be to have people taking about them or similar, with out actually having one as a functioning weapon.

About the movieclip.
Notice he uses pre-measured charges.It is offcause logical to do so, but I haven’t seen any evidence to support their use during this period. Jump to around 1500AD and we see the illustrations of the bandoleers carried by “handgunners”

Accruacy:
http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/handgonne.html
"I can hit it more or less consistently over this given distance of 25 strides, although, among five rounds fired, one will probably be a miss."

1 Like

If guns are implemented in that fashion I have no problem.

Yes, exactly. So that is why including it in the game would not change all that much. You would have one or two major battles where these weapons manifest themselves and other than you would not come in contact with them all that much.

Oh please no, if it is not extremely necessary, not in the Act 1 please.

2 Likes

It would still mean they will be rare. Maybe you won’t be able to own it and you only get to use it when defending the castle. It is just an example so take it with a grain of salt with the size of the Moon. The situation in Act 2 and 3 will be the same as the time doesn’t change significantly, just the location.

3 Likes

I’d imagine it would be very difficult to acquire an arquebus at this time.

Ok, that sounds much better gun-gameplay-wise.
Interesting to know that the time period won’t change that much as so many people have guessed Act II & III would take place during the Hussite Wars.

Regarding time:
Is there somewhere a clock(tower) around where the excat time of day is visible?
Does the player have some kind of calendar in his home?

yap, from my personal experience (have one like this at home) it is quite slow to fire it, especially if you try to hit something with it. I can imagine having the gun in some cases as special first shot thing and than fight with iron
 nothing much like sniping around or shooting in a combat. Also Hussites were using these when it came to close combat as some kind of mace, these guns are quite heavy especially the head is, so when you hit someone, you can easilly break his bones

1 Like

Interesting blog! I often turn to this topic in my work on this site https://papers-writings.com/.
If you are interested, you can go and find something new for yourself.