Xbox One Graphics

I think we are seeing brute force also (cryengine is like that) -it makes for awesomeness once tweaked. (Eg a few buildings have way too much ‘drawcall’ and just bomb framerate. -they are obvious ones too from the point of view of developing a game… always at the start point for the asset teams eg first shop in skalitz, castle entry/town square have something performing very ‘wrong’ and gtx1080s go to 20’s framerates. (As of course do all other cards -they bomb))…

The real issue is four core (and hyper threading), performing differently to six core with hyper threading +

The consoles set the low point at sevenish cores (sometimes either disabled fir yield improvements or reserved for the OS -games dont just automatically get all eight…)

It does make use of those cores well- the game design from the ground up requires it to mesh. It does (mostly), and a few things in a few are multiplied out by all the hardware possibilities and play possibilities -aka ‘the wild’- the game will be, eventually, a specific vision done well.

Mods will come in various forms- some from the Studio itself; some from a market of mods, some possible DLCs that introduce more base materials; and then all sorts of possibilities depending on platforms.
It will make sense for mod implementations to not push certain cpu or load areas ; if everytging is to the metal and no further stesses can be held…

This is where many mods will originate in unpolished forms- on ninja PC rigs that brute it out…

For some mods to exist on console it seems likely that the modules will have to make a lot of use of base game (+ official dlc) as assets.

Not body will eant to push too many extra vpu calls or else say hoodbye to console space (and many pc users/mostly already on four cour -and not near the nearly essential seven required for smooth experience.)

Pc world randomness aside; the console norm is powerful enough now for games like KCD to exist. Just like finding out the witcher 2 was going to consoles. . KCD is that next special thing.
It wasnt doable previously…

Once consoles just had to push arcade beat em ups and racers
sims were always naturally on the higher end hardware.
The sims and sim city are some of the biggest selling games of all time for PC.
Sim city used to be bought en masse for whole computer labs- and in an age where pirating was as easy as copying disks…those large sale numbers really added up.
Not to say the game wasn’t awesome - and not getting into interfaces to play games and where games naturally belong (eg I PC cause of the steering wheel and clutch pedal/shifter it brings to racing sims…joystick/throttle to flight sims/xbox controllers on PCs…pcs in loungeroom its all doable-just so many configs… just ask someone at WH dealing with QA and trying to nail down a cause…!)

Open world games have always been a hard concept to pull off. As was changing programming of games from one core to multicore.
KCD is the next evolution of both.

It finally says after many many years of cpus in pc sphere not being a contingency at 60 frames 1080- that now we do have game baking all the extra processor cores that modern cpus have.
The swap in performance shifting from four cores to higher is finally practical outside of Battlefield one multiplayer…

Yeah I really really need to upgrade my CPU, u know you’d think ryzen would be best choice for CPU, well it is for price and so long as performance is competitive. Cuz consoles use amd too, i allways go with price for all these console games I’ll be playing well apart from this one.

I dunno I just hate Nvidia for some reason :joy: but then I hate any corporation I feel are ripping people off, releasing new graphics cards every hour and charging stupid money even though there no games made for it, I allways wondered if these greedy little fuckers stopped making new cards every minute the Devs could optimise better, as in they have too because that’s all that’s available. I feel like they prey on the pc users that think they need to constantly upgrade there gear every time. I know amd are at it too but least they try and give you decent price.

When ever I look at the pricing for GPUs amd is allways the best performance Vs price ratio, I did once look at Nvidia and I allways got more for the money I had if I went amd. So that’s what I do.

AMD give a lot to the world for free.
They are one of the few companies that clearly want humanity to proliferate.

I think the benefit for us gamers is mostly todo with hiw direct x 12 operates.
There is different codepaths for nvidia and amd. Benefit being that games get optimised better on AMD side of things - all things being equal - they aren’t eg console versions of tomb raider have highly optimised effects (eg snow physics) for AMD side; then PC version gets made an Nvidia title at the eleventh hour and they drop the AMD code… nvidia constantly use their money and influence to the detriment of gamers. Sure we can argue about marketing and competitiveness and being in business in the future… but treating customers with respect in the here and now goes a long way.

I have bought most nvidia graphics generations since the riva and tnt…
Phys-x deaths and stopping a second nvidia card as a phsx accelerator if amd was installed etc sucked.
PhysX should have been something awesome. Could have added to gaming as a genre. Instead havk has been used way more often due to hardware agnotism.
Killing last years top end part via drivers (no longer getting) optimisations and not support3d open market standards like freesync all kinda sucks.
The way they buried 3d (over hdmi) by not letting users engage it (software download links wouldnt work or would give faulty software…) they stipped charging for the software (they crippled it),… all so they could resell us the new architecture (aimed for vr and ‘dual screens)’; problem was the new gen could be blown out of the water by sli’ing a couple of seven series products- so they collude with the death of sli, and make it impossible to do 3d on the older chipsets.

Yet catch em out gimping performance and then they admit to it… (and then they do it again and again over the last three generations of cards)

Nvidia has become a fairly anticonsumer company.

We’d have to be blind to miss it. Anyhow whilstever they have a 5-10% performance lead bragging righters will always buy nvidia. And will do so again and again whilst they keep trying to run the latest stuff.

For years all AMD did was steal from Intel. So their efforts cost much less so they could afford to sell for much less, and made a killing in profit.

Other way round.
Hence why AMD was only licensee to certain intel stuff.

AMD built the platform for modern computing. Intel were threatened. Intel settle/agreed toblet AMD rise above all the other competitors as settlement.

In my celery 300a days (celerons would go to 450/500mhz via jumpers); Id talk to the IT housemates about the proposed AMD platform (it launched a little late for our then upgrade plan),… and at 2:30 am wgen I read about what AMD were proposing (controller implementations and general design)- my housemate called ‘bull’.
It was like I had fabriacated the perfect/best available PC platform.
Then I showed him the articles and we were all humbled.
It was what us geeks wanted.

What they ultimately became, around that time, was great cheaper PCs that you might have to reboot once a week (vs the intel systems).
Intel for business/AMD for gamers.
Times changed for a long while.

With Intels present platform they are forcing value concerned consumers elsewhere (and anyone against the wintel entity); fortunately AMDs present releases are up to grade for what gamers need.

Good times.

Intel and nvidia have real corporation sickness.
They only have to keep their products afew percent faster than the competition and the masses will ‘buy the best’.

Its why nvidia waits until pascal launches before doing a refresh -overclocking last years parts to be just a bit quicker and to continue to lure consumers to ‘the fastest part’.
Until they want to sell another ; at which point- ceipple and continue.

Like my intel vhip getting a forced update (the cache security issue) reducing performance on yesteryears part.
-now that businesses have moved on from the part (businesses get tax breaks with IT which pays to stay relevant) - gamers however dont need the ‘bug’ removed and dont want the downgrade: but forced ecosystem (win 10) and intel magick keeps forcing new product sales.

Good for them
And good for people who want to believe in fairies.

Clap

Clapclap

Just saying “other way round” doesn’t change reality. Fiction is fine for games, but not for public discourse. If you look into the history, as jumbled and confusing as it can be. A patterns emerge, which one you see depends on how much you know (but like sports ones perspective can be colored if you’re a fan of either) Here is a brief history as written by The San-Diego Union-Tribute http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-a-history-of-intel-and-amds-legal-battles-2009nov12-story.html

Depending on your perspective you’ll see AMD trying to file frivolous lawsuits against Intel for easy money. On another perspective you could say that AMD was wronged by intel and were making legitimate cases against them. The courts didn’t find that to be the case in most of them. Of course this goes deeper than legal battles, so much so that you could make a “Pirates of Silicon Valley” type video about the dispute.

Correct; and the time on history you choose from;

At the end of the day intel have all the money to buy up smaller companies that allow them to nullify claims against them. (Eg aquire the rights); to the big dogs buying up motorola or nokia or minolta is just small fires to aquire tech. And end lawsuits. Mostly to end lawsuits (evident as they rarely use the tech).

Basically AMD hit it out of the park with 64bit.
Intel settled the era by allowing AMD to enter the elite circle fully well knowing that a smaller comapny could never really compete.

I am not a fan of any company- I love humanity and watch for business practices in accordance with what I consider life/light.

Apple are the chipmakers to watch right nowtheybhave most of the best engineers and are probably the only company leveraging strength with software and hardware. (Eg building hardware for their specific needs -it punches way above its weight; eg the first ipad Pro could work with editing 4k video . Pretty impressive on a few watts.)

Intels platform presently is such a joke most long term intel enthusiasts are questioning ‘what the hell’.

Sometimes its simply not doing the dodgy that nets a company more sales…
Like Sonys infamous response to xbone saying “we wont doing what they are doing” (ps4 announce).

Like paying for a key to unlock motherboard features (or server sales drop off) or only some hardware features you have paid for on the platform not unlocking with certain processors.
When you look at the tiered parts and prices created its like seeing an artificial market.

So AMD will get this round easily. Intel are in trouble and they know it- they have been desperate to get into ipads as apple, with regards to mobile power, own it…

This is an xbox thread. We arent contributing anything of worth to console gamers arguing for corporations.
I think having lived through all these sheenanigans and being interested in component technologies- I feel sound recommending against intel and nvidia and microsoft. Great for people with more money than needed. Certainly not offering more than the competitors or playing nicely.

Play nice? Yes- AMD play nice to the consumers. Unless ya got shares in any of these entities; playing nice for wee the little people is worth talking about/sharing…

Thanks for sharing your views.

1 Like