Alpha 0.5: Global illumination (screenshots and discussion about new lighting)

Looks quite nice, does not it? I though that few vistas at particular times looked better previously, but I have to say I like the new lighting system.

9 Likes

It’s amazing, imo the new lightining looks a lot more realistic.

2 Likes

Can the new Global Illumination be toggled on/off? I Would love to see some comparison screens of before/after

1 Like

Just the same question!!! :grinning:
Also to compare the performance difference… I think it´s about 10%…

This should be a demonstration of the technology, so you know what to look for:

It was probably tweaked by WH somehow, but its basicaly those light reflections i think. Also that contrast over dark areas feels somehow more realistic.
I am going to contine playing later so I will try to find a console command (if there is one anyway).

I know the two demos, but it would be nice to test it direct ingame… :grinning:

Maybe on the console… :blush:

I cannot confirm significant FPS drop.

Hi Guys, Kuba (lead 3D artist) here. The GI is now linked to your graphics settings. On low or medium it’s off and on high or very high it kicks in. There’s a small chance that it’ll be always on in the final game, but we have to see how will it run on consoles. Also it’s still being developed by Crytek so the performance will likely change till the end of the project, so it’s to early to make guesses.

9 Likes

thanks for the info. and about consoles being too weak to run this. it’s cool. just enable it for pc master race.

1 Like

I like and dislike it all the same.

There is a softness to everything now that I really like.

But all hours of light now look darker (heavily shadowed) and cinematic. High noon does not look as realistic as it did in previous builds. To summarize this thought everything looks far to cinematic now all the time always looking like the magic hour.

New GI technique SVOTI is much more precise than old GI technique LPV. But the merit is small now. SVOTI can make better image quality, but art direction have much bigger effect. 7/10 basic lighting setup + SVOTI can’t beat 9/10 basic lighting setup without GI. Just need better lighting setup. Not technology.

As I posted on Alpha 0.5 Bug list:

The lack of gloss on a lot of vegetation makes many trees look much darker than before. There are also some new grass models that look kinda flat and cheesy.I do not think this is because of GI, since many other trees do not have the problem (apple trees and bushes, for instance, look as good as they used to). So this general darkness might not be solely because of GI.

2 Likes

I missed that thanks for making it clear.

So far the new lighting system pleases my eye.
The forest particularly looks very familiar. It reminds me my trips in summer through forests on my mountain bike. It really has got that much contrast in reality. Depending on the hour of the day of course and the weather.

I have tried an Alpha 0.5 version (after crysystem.dll bug fix) and the lighting is totally flat. It seems that there are minimum of shadow. If I look on new screenshots from other players they looks beautiful. In my case it looks like the sun is shining 100x than normal :slight_smile: Even the dark interiors are very bright. Can I enable the new lighting feature somewhere?

I have a GeForce GTX 760. Can be the issue?

@Woody, @Knedlo and @Hound this maybe interesting to you.

@jakub.topol can you make a dxdiag file and uplad it to the forum?

Strange… i have GTX760 (driver 358.91) too but without the missing light.
Maybe a driver problem or the GTX760 from Jakub.topol comes with an low-mid GPU.

the 1st game I played that use the basic implementation of real time GI was stalker not crysis; even then the feature must be manually enabled via console command in stalker and it made quite significant difference especially indoors, for the 1st time ever when you lit a flashlight in a dark room you weren’t only able to look stuffs at directly where the flashlight pointed at but the surrounding environments were also lit dimly, it was such a technological marvel back then because even the original crysis didn’t have it

and as shocking as it may be, I can’t remember actually seen any games that implemented such feature today, heck there isn’t actually many games that implement real time dynamic lighting with real time time of day system.

additional note
the GI in stalker IIRC cut my frame rates more half with at that time radeon x1900xtx, and disappointingly the feature actually removed from stalker sequels lol…

We have many GTX760 GPUswith no issue whatsoever. Are there any shadows in the game? Do you have any other games with shadows issues? What about CryEngine based games (Crysis 1, 2, 3, Ryse)?

Levely well done :slight_smile: can’t wait to test it out again. I may have missed it but where can we test the new features they are talking about ? Everytime i login it is just the same town and no one seems to talk to me to do things like bow or what not.