Dismemberment and Arrows

I know this game don’t want to be too gory, but there are a couple of things i think this game needs:

First one is dismemberment. I would love to battle another knight and with a perfect attack with my broadsword i cut the other knight’s arm off. He falls to the ground grunting in pain, and I get the choice to leave him there bleeding to death or be merciful and end his misery.

Second, when I shoot a man with my bow I want the arrow to be stuck in him, and not dissapear or fall to the ground. It would be so amazing to shoot a man in the leg and then see him run towards me like a badass with an arrow in his thigh. I don’t know if it will be possible to throw spears, but to throw one and see the spear impale a man, and as you walk over to the dead man you see your spear stuck in him, representing your amazing throwing skills. That would surely make me feel powerful.

2 Likes

This has been heavily debated and the devs aren’t too keen on adding gore. Once again this is shooting for realism.

Arrows already stick out of people.

3 Likes

Ah fantastic picture McWonder.

As for dismemberment I don’t know how realistic it would be. But thinking of it realistically I would assume it would take a HUGE amount of power to cut someones arms off. Specially if they wear a chainmail or other sorts of armor.

I haven’t been able to find any other threads on this. If anyone know of a ongoing conversation about this please let me know.

I have a whole collection of them.

Im tired thusly being particularly lazy but if you utilize the search tool (magnifying glass Icon next to the conversation bubble in the upper right) you can easily find several discussions on this matter.

Key words: Beheading, decapitation, dismemberment, gore

1 Like

haha great pics !

Thanks, Ill try that

I am sorry, man, but is there something wrong with you?

Sorry! Just came to my mind! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

For those who understand german: He-man der Saarländer. Its pure internet gold!

@nord_valhalla I doubt the possibility to cut of someones limbs with a mediaeval weapon if this person wears armour, even if it is only a gambeson. You will break his bones with the kinetic energy or even penetrate some weaker kinds of armour, but to cut it off? I don´t think so.
Its surely a different thing if you fight someone without armour, peasants or some mercants you want to rob.

[quote=“nord_valhalla, post:1, topic:22997”]
broadsword[/quote]

Bad word! Bad word!

This is a broadsword.

This is an arming sword (or just plain sword).

http://www.medieval-weaponry.co.uk/acatalog/tinker-longswords-710.jpg

This is a longsword.

Nomenclature matters. And if you don’t think it’s a big deal, you’re part of the problem that’s made fixing the mess made of Western Martial Arts in the public consciousness by sources like D&D such an uphill battle.

If he’s wearing any sort of armor, not gonna happen. A sword won’t cut through mail, certainly not enough to cut off the entire arm. At best you could hit him hard enough to break it with blunt-force trauma. If he’s wearing plate? A sword blow isn’t likely to do anything at all UNLESS you catch him in a gap. Plate doesn’t absorb a sword blow like mail does; it deflects it away, so a sword and even an axe isn’t going to be able to concentrate enough energy to penetrate the armor, much less hack off the arm.

If he’s wearing a gambeson of any thickness? You’d be surprised how well a gambeson can protect against a sword blow. You’re more likely to disable the limb, but cutting it off completely would take a VERY square and heavy blow.

Unarmored? You’re STILL far more likely to disable the limb than cut it off outright.

3 Likes

Hahahaha! that cracked me up :smiley:

Umh I dont know if there is something wrong with me, sometimes i think there is :stuck_out_tongue:

But you have to see my point… kinda silly to play as a knight and be the towns weakling, am i right?

First of all, the main character is not a knight. Whether he will gain a chance to be knighted is to be seen, but I hope that this fairy tale shit won’t be part of the game.

I see nothing silly in playing a realistic brutal game where you are not running around killing mountains of enemies and shooting rainbows out of your ass. For me, the realism is the part I am looking forward to the most.

From all of the first person shooters I played I remember only few moments. Apart from original Duke Nukem and original Blood it is the utter impossibility to survive some of the missions of Operation Flashpoint. And yet I kept trying and trying until I did succeed.

1 Like

Henry could be classified as a Hedge Knight (Unknighted warrior) It seems absoluetly unlikely Henry will be knighted at all in any of the three Acts.

You’re telling me. That was hell to get through ANY of those levels without dying. :unamused:

it might be possible if your fighting unarmored opponents, peasants in gambesons and the like, but its bloody difficult. not impossible if you have good edge alignment though. the way i understand it, the fibers of the cloth turn the blade so it cuts more shallowly and throws off the edge alignment. however, as they have sabres in game, those might go through textile armor more effectively. far more likely that they have realistic armor denting, such as smashing in the helm when you land a blow with a pollaxe
edit: wouldn’t mind a crippling system, like in the fallout series. put an arrow through the leg of a fleeing man or in the shoulder of a charging one should make your life easier

3 Likes

+1 for crippling

:smile:

I never liked that guy

The first thing I’m going to do when KC:D is done is pick up a bow and arrow and shoot an adventurer in the knee, and then find him working as a guard in Skyrim

1 Like

Based on what? We know he’ll be fighting for nobility. Commoners being knighted, even around this exact time, was not an impossibility. It certainly was not common, but if anyone is capable of the amazing deeds you’d have to perform, it’s a main character in a video game.

It isn’t a fantasy at all for that to happen.

Did some searching, and there was indeed a precedent and associated rank for the knighting of a commoner on the filed of battle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_banneret

Under English custom the rank of knight banneret could only be conferred by the sovereign on the field of battle. There were some technical exceptions to this; when his standard was on the field of battle he could be regarded as physically present though he was not. His proxy could be regarded as a sufficient substitution for his presence.

As to how common an occurrence this was I couldn’t say. And keeping in mind that this rank is relevant specifically to medieval England

1. Not saying it was impossible, just very unlikely.

2. Warhorse has stated over and over that he is not a hero, just an ordinary peasant out for revenge. Even though he’s the ‘‘main character,’’ it doesn’t mean he’s special. Knighthood, as said, isn’t given out for any random thing. Unless we a) Kill the opposing King b) Rescue the ‘‘good’’ King or c) Singlehandedly take a castle, just to name a few valiant and brave ideas, there is very little to no chance Henry will be knighted. He very well could, but as @Earl_Thorn said…

So if he is knighted, he’s knighted. If not, well this game is historically accurate (with a little bit of leeway)

1 Like