Night sky constellations

I found the Ursa Major constellation while chasing a sheep during a night time. Did anyone manage to find some other?

2 Likes

is also there

Yes, it is. I forgot to mention it, but I highlighted it in my screen shot by using slightly different colour than for the rest of the Ursa Major.

1 Like

Night sky box may be only thing they use without tweaking from cryengine. I heard from Star Citizen youtubers that cryengine has very detailed sky box.

I saw something that could be Pleiades (marked by circle). In case my assumption is correct the area marked by rectangle could be Taurus with Aldebaran the most bright star.

The problem is… Pleiades should be rather colder in color (in fact warmer :slight_smile: but more bluish anyway) and Aldebaran should be definitely orange/red (being Red Giant). So I am probably mistaken.

I tried looking being a dual Kingdom come/Star Citizen, but i just don’t know enough to find any more than the big dipper. I did spend a good amount of time looking though. maybe some more informed citizens will be able to help. I couldn’t even find Orion, which IRL is the one i can always find.

According to the season (spring/summer) Orion would be probably rather problematic. In case I am not mistaken you may be able to find it somewhere low on the horizon and perhaps later in the night.

Hmm… this looks strange, because where the compass show the south should be north than?
If you take the two stars Merak and Dubhe for five times in a row, you will get to Polaris, the North-Star. Can anyone confirm the sky is rotating around Polaris? I am not a Baron, only a Knight with Beta.

I also wonder if it is the case. Tomorrow I can try. Perhaps there will be someone faster. :slight_smile:

So, if I remember correct in operation flashpoint it was the case, and as we have Viktor Bocan in the Team, lead designer of operation flashpoint, this may could be the case.

This one should be quite accurate:

This one is more problematic:

According to my experience and this video

the night sky is in fact a static texture. Let’s hope they’ll put it right soon. It shouldn’t be hard to implement a real and realistic night sky to the game. I would love to orient myself due to the Polaris during night missions. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can overlook the night sky being static as long as Polaris is where it should be but what stands out to me is the moon - same location, same phase (I suppose). By the way, there was a lunar eclipse on August 2nd 1403 visible in Europe just saying. (:

1 Like

i noticed that too. no sky rotation… thats a bit disturbing. anyways, travelling using the stars to define a way or traveling path, requires knowlege of actual stars and constellations locations… i don’t know but i think that most of us (including me) don’t know this…

1 Like

i see nothing wrong with the ability to turn off hud and compass, and using stars and sun position to navigate.

again, nothing new either. operation flashpoint did this nearly 13 years ago

4 Likes

you can use the pointers Merak and Dubhe to find Polaris. And yes, if you spin around, it stays in the same spot with the rest of the field appearing to move around it.

That would actually be really immersive!
@warhorse please add this feature it would be an outstanding one.

2 Likes

I think the night sky in the alpha is quite beautifully rendered. I like to get up to high places and scan across the sky with as few obstructions in the way as possible.

With some constellations appearing that opens the door to a possible quest involved astrology. Obviously you wouldn’t get an accurate fortune reading; that would be too much like unrealistic D&D. However, an NPC who does believe in astrology may put Henry on a quest to read the stars and interpret their meaning.

Just a random thought.

Up to phases of the moon I would go with, but as long as a compass for navigation is available, that should be enough. Have you ever navigated to the Polar Star? From a moving object out? (Car / boat) :wink:
Without a map as a basis? How many average players are capable of doing?

Think there are other features in the game that would be far more important …

1 Like

i’m pretty sure it’s in, they just haven’t implemented. why else make the constellations in such detail? they just have to program algorithm based on calendar and rotate sky dome accordingly.

That’s actually what bothered me, because Polaris should never be right above you (unless you’re at the north pole, if I’m not mistaken), so orientation by the stars seems quite impossible right now, because Polaris isn’t in the north.

1 Like