Possible to become a Baron?

Is it possible to become a Baron in this game? Pledge loyalty to a Count or Duke and receive a castle or something?

Earl all the way. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

1 Like

No, that most likely won’t be possible.

I bet we could get knighted however…

Dang, I was hoping I could have 300 idiot AI’s following me.

You can be next to them in a massive battle:D

You mean you can die next to them in a massive battle… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You’re depressing (ಠ_ಠ)

I doubt we will be able to become actual nobles. I don’t recall any historical precedent right now (and I mean ones which were granted, not taken by force). But being knighted wouldn’t be too far-fetched, if the quest is as epic as it should be to be worth making a game about it.

I could’ve sworn there were a few times in Medieval Europe when a commoner became a Barron. Okay then, can a group of people usurp a Barron and take the castle as their own?

if you’re looking for an unrealistic power fantasy, i think warband 2 might be up your alley.

this game’s key is being authentic, realistic, and historic.

Even though its not likely that any blacksmith ever become a baron and it wont be possibel in the game, it is still way far from “unrealistic power fantasy”.

disproportionate power from special abilities is a power fantasy. it’s derived from a game design philosophy which presumes that gamers are stereotypical “nerds” that need to feel big and powerful.

for example, skyrim contains elements of the power fantasy. the “fus ro dah”, spoken in a manly authoritative tone is meant to make you feel powerful. the horned helmet, muscle shirt posturing combatatively are also traits of this.

all games have aspects of power, but differ in degrees. overthrowing a baron and taking his place is a popular power fantasy because it is based on the idea that your rebel/assassin/peasant/etc is special and more powerful than baron. it therefore stretches suspension of disbelief beyond breaking point because we know there is no historic precedence for this. so not realistic.

this is also why i believe all assassins creed games are overt power fantasies. you play a special assassin character who simply wouldn’t be able to exist or perform his actions in the real world. but we are led(forced) to believe he is special and powerful. compare this to the hitman character(from old games, before it tried to copy assassins creed) who is superhuman genetically modified, but never does things normal person cannot do, barring “gameplay” abstractions like higher health, thus suspension of disbelief is not broken. he also needs to constantly change disguise to blend in, whereas assassin creed the guy is wearing a “cool” hood and robe that covers his eyes, yet does parkour…yeah

watchdogs is also blatant power fantasy. you are special hacker with special hacker phone on a one man mission who eventually defeats the powerful evil boss. whole city of cops can’t stop you, professional hitmen and mercenary “cleaners” cannot stop you, because you are cool hacker with bandana on face and “iconic” baseball cap.

i have yet to see any symptoms of power fantasy in kcd which means it’s heading off to a good start. in fact, henry is pretty humble and even threatening someone is a matter of wits and strategy using dialog, not turning on “beast mode”. and i like how you will die quick trying to fight multiple enemies and will need help. very good. hope it does not change.

2 Likes

That’s not a specific game design philosophy. It also has little to do with nerds.

Power fantasies in entertainment were common decades and even centuries before video games were even invented…

But it’s true that the core of many video games are power fantasies. Kingdom Come will be no exclusion from that although it might have a much bigger focus on historical accuracy and realism. But in the end it’s an RPG and a (SP) RPG is almost the epitome of a power fantasy. It’s the core of an RPG to get “bigger and more powerful” by leveling up and getting better gear and solve quests (and be the hero of whatever story). E.g. gaining new skills by killing a few people or solving a simple quest is a power fantasy. It’s far from being realistic. In the real world you have to train for years before you master a new skill or fighting moves or whatever…

The “problem” here is not the power fantasy itself but how you combine it with realism. A game without any power fantasy involved would be completely mundane, or better said: terribly boring. You would play the day of the life of a medieval common man without anything of importance happening. KCD instead is pretty much a power fantasy in both systems and story but with a great deal of realism attached in the way you expect things to happen in real world (of course limited by tech and gameplay). And yeah, that’s quite a fresh and uncommon thing in video games and I also hope they stick to that to a great extend. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, and 2 days later the count comes over and gets medieval with their asses.

1 Like

I can’t locate the post right now, but I remember one of the devs saying that you won’t actually become a knight in the game - ‘knight’ is just their term for a particular playstyle. So I presume it won’t be possible to become a baron either (not that it was very likely in the first place, given the emphasis on historical realism in KCD).

No, this isn’t an fantasy game. You cannot become noble and own land and castle and have king who is your bro and mother which is powerful fairy, you are just a ordinary man and you will stay that way.

4 Likes

You sound like a pessimist every time I read your comments :confused:

Not that I disagree, however becoming a knight is feasible.

My job here is to grap everyones legs and drag them back to the ground :wink: I’m just realistic, not much popular, but i can deal with it :smiley: . This game cannot include everything you guys dreaming about. Time and resources are not infinitive.

1 Like

Ah, so I suppose you are in the dev team? If it were up to you, this game would just be a hall way with a button at the end, when you press it you win.

Please just shhh, if you have nothing to add, don’t pretend you are an oracle of game development that can foresee any and all additions to the game.