Why no directional blocking?

Do you have full set of armor? I am usually not done so easily as you describe.

Against most advanced guy, I had great success with running towards him, locking in clinch, punching/kicking/pushing him and following with stabs. Rinse and repeat :smiley:

1 Like

this could work
Though I tried somethig similar, And sometimes he attacks before you are able to clinch.

To the matter of Armor. Yes I have armor from both previous enemies. Not the gountlets though, too much work to get them.
Problem is that I have kinda sucess when my armor is pristine on frist try. This frist try mostly ends with me ding frm some stupid mistake or the fighter stepping outside of that arena.
By the time of the second try, my armor is damaged and I am much more easily killed. And the more I fight the more damage I am recieving.

Also sometimes the enemy goes into rambo mode where he parries everything I throw at him.
He is then able to counter-parry a five times and by the fifth time I am sure to mess up my timing.

Though clashing might be the solution.

I see that you haven’t understood many of my views, sorry about this.
I will try to clear thing up:

First of all, I have some sparring experience with a longsword as well as with a katana. That’s aside, we won’t be comparing our accomplishments here.

I never said that blocking doesn’t require cardio (i.e. stamina) in real life. Quite the opposite! I meant that simply waiting for opponent’s strike is technically not blocking, so it is silly to drain stamina in gameplay.

And it is also silly to be in some kind of a “blocking mode” by holding just one button and lose stamina for doing nothing with it, because as I, you and many others said - blocking (parrying) in real life is done by reflex and you could do it in a middle of your own attack. You are not it some blocking mode, so to implement this in the gameplay there should be a timing related block button, not a holding block button.

And to avoid “noob” block button abusing you pointed, the game may actually implement a mechanic to punish you if you spam with it.
And yes, blocking should absolutely draw stamina, as well as striking and moving, as well as if you take a hit. Happened to lose breath after a hard blow to the body?

As for my gaming experience, you got it also wrong:

I DIDN’T cite the current gameplay in Deliverance - I tried to share my views ON HOW it should be in my opinion instead: “If you time it good, there will be an option for counter-attack. If you press it early, you can block the blow but end up in a disadvantage.” I wish to see this, not saying that this is right now…

So, I hope my views are clear now. Thanks!

Although I agree with you that “bocking mode” is not much realistic. It is something you want to use as little as possible. Because loosing your stamina without striking the enemy is still your loss.
You will want to parry as much as possible and so the blocking will happen only when you time your parry wrong or in situations between enemy strikes where you are just trying to save as much health as you can. (I dont know if you can parry in this situation)

That means that in reality implementing “timing related block button” as you said, would change almost nothing for the player.

But I agree that in theory it is much better mechanism than “blocking mode”

Also I dont know what @McWonderBeast and you call “noob block spamming”. Because spamming “q” wont really help you.

1 Like

Hi Jlyga, thanks for feedback, but to be honest, I really wonder whether you’ve tried to play a game or not :smile:

What McWonderBeast wanted to say was (I believe) this:

There is nothing like this in the game.

There is one.

And such mechanic is there.

And that’s exactly how it works.

Now, I really could misunderstand what you want to express, but I’d say that our mindsets in this were pretty similar so I hope you will enjoy the fight at the end. Cheers!

3 Likes

I think he is referring to other games with intensive hand-to-hand combat, like M&B and especially Chivalry.

In a situation with timing related blocking, a “noob” action will be to continuously click (not hold) the block button in order to “catch” the right moment for a block. But as I said above, an easy program algorithm may be implemented to punish the player if he does it, like missing the strike and getting hit all the way.

Video description: I didn’t wear any plate exept for the helmet to make my claim that its too easy for players like me. However if you are fighting without armor it’s impossible because of the bleeding effect.

Good show. You are pretty good at combat. :thumbsup:

I’ve noticed when I fight, the AI will sometimes be easy or extremely hard. I’ve beaten the knight a few times in fair fights, but sometimes the beginner fighter will waste me.
Good days and bad days I guess.

1 Like

For me it’s mostly the fps drops which make me waste a counter.
But I have to agree that the AI’s strenght can vary a bit.
Also I didn’t figure out yet what to do if the enemy dodges. (because you kinda get stunned by that)

1 Like

I dont know what is this, but that is not the level which my enemy is on.
I am starting to think that my game is bugged.

I guess the AI may be unpolished and acts different if you fight different.

Yes, that’s possible.
I played 0.4 a little, but was put back by the low framerate - on my PC 0.3 ran around 60+ fps on very high, yet in 0.4 there are some framedrops as well as lower framerate in general.

Also, to me the combat seemed very “locked” and repeatable, and the controls were not so good with keyboard + mouse. I shared my experience about this in another topic.

I see big potential in KC:Deliverance and as far as I’m concerned speaking about the things that should be improved is the main focus of this forum and the pre-release stage in general.

In my experience it all comes down to block or counter a hit. If you get hit several times (depending on your armour) your stamina will decrease too much to deliver any damage to your opponent. But it’s the same thing happening to your opponent. So being able to counter will decrease your enemies stamina aswell and will make his attacks less damaging.

2 Likes

it kinda sucks that the npc could counter my counter since it just leads to my bum being pummeled.

You can counter his counter, but watch out, he can counter your counter to counter his counter that countered your counter.

2 Likes

If someone send me proof of that I would donate 50€ and name him lord. :smile:

1 Like

you saying your enemy never countered your counter?

Dude, I once counter countered his counter countered counter for like 3 times in row, it was bloody epic :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I try to record it this weekend.

I have been locked in counter bout for long enough I gave up and just took the hit.

5 counters is my record