1080ti, 6700k unstable gpu utilization and fps inconsistency

I get 20-50 MAX settings in Rattay i5 8600K 4.6Ghz and gtx 1060 and 1080ti is shitload of more powerfull even on 1440p u should get good frames. Try to oc ur cpu and see if it changes anything and there is some problems in game that it dont wanna utilize gpu very well aand game like more 6 cores than 4 even when u have those 8 threads but 6core6thread is better.

I have played the game in 3840x2160 on very high (some options on high) with a GTX 970 and i7-4770.

I thought this was a known fact by now but apparently not:
KCD is a CPU heavy game, not GPU (well, it is too, but at least it’s much more scalable in that regard), so even with a GTX 1080 Ti (that’s what I have too) you will never achieve good performance if your CPU isn’t top of the line too, KCD requires a (true) 8 core CPU to run (somewhat) great, with a 4core 8threads CPU the intel HT will “emulate” the 8 cores required by the game to run great, but it will never reach the performance level of a true 8 core CPU (Ryzen 2700X and +, Intel 9700K and +) .
What you want to do to help with the performance, is to set Object Detail, Physics, and Particles to medium MAX, and leave the distance sliders to their defaul values.
It will have popping yes, but that’s the best way to minimise drawcalls and reduce game objects handling.
For the rest, put everything in very high basically, but again, not ultra, ultra is meme and it actually looks worse sometimes (rain too copy pasted, lighting super glitchy in houses, etc…). Oh also Shaders to high instead of very high to reduce SVOGI’s grid resolution and disable Contact Hardening Shadows (which looks bad in this game sadly, too sharp and pixellated for close objects).

I will try that, thank you.
I dont remember the default position of distance setting though. Could you please remind?

of course, put the game in very high preset, validate, then it will choose the sliders positions for very high (it’s a good tradeoff quality / performance) and after that go to advanced, and do the manual configuration, don’t forget to disable motion blur lol.
tell me how it did it for you :slight_smile: That’s basically the settings I’m using, except I’m pushing objects detail a bit more cause I have a 6 core CPU (but I’m still limited by the fact I don’t have 8)

2 Likes

Just dit all that and asked a friend for a save file in Rattay, i loaded in and started a fight. it does seem to run better, but not for much. It’s playable ofcourse, but i remember clearly this game used to run much better when i had worse GPU - 1070, which to me is very strange. My friend also have 1080 card but 9700k CPU, he runs 100+ fps but on 1080p
I guess i will wait a bit longer, maybe another update or maybe i will upgrade PC later this year, for now i am too spoiled with high FPS in most games that this situation makes me a bit upset :frowning:

this mod will save your life, it will fix your fps it will make your game look way better

@Billy_Wellington just to be sure. Did you checked this post: [SOLVED] Performance - 40 FPS, LOW Settings, GTX 1080 Ti?

Yes i have seen it.
GPU is inserted properly.

Can you post a GPUz Sensor Tab or HwMon Screenshot while playing the game?

That PCI express lane trick is incredible ! I could have totally wasted months on an error like that ! Great job !

1 Like

1 Like

Thank you. Can you post the sensors tab too?

I have made a couple. Unfortunitely the only way to make it is all-tab and it shows a GPU usage at 30%, not very representative

Hi, it Looks like you OC your GPU. What FPS do you get in Default Settings and how stable is the fps?

Yes i do a bit of overclocking on both cpu and gpu, cpu is stable for years and gpu isnt really pushed far. I know a thing or two about it, i am sure it’s stable. And also tried disabling OC with little result.
Walking around rattay using settings suggested above i get 85-90 gpu usage with 70-100 fps or just standin and i would be totally fine with that if not those sudden drops to 40s when there are many objects and ppl suddenly pop in a field of vision. When i start a fight in town, guards appear in some numbers and fps drops.
It sure has symptoms of CPU bottleneck, i can see similar things when closin in on battles in Total War Three Kingdoms but there mostly gpu is 98-99 loaded and it may be drops to 75 at worst with fps still being good

which cpu are you useing?

That would be 6700k at 4.5 ghz

Ok. I don’t think this cpu is really a Bottleneck. But it could be a Timing issue with CPU and Memory and GPU and GPU Memory Clock Speed. So I’m out of ideas here. But you should check your Mainboard Bios Firmware to be up to date. It !!could !! be a Timing issue from the Mainboard aswell…

Btw: you can make a test and downclock your System a bit to see if it still goes down to 40fps in fights……

Out of curiousity i ran a Hitman 2 on highest setting with simulation quality set to “best” - this game is very CPU intensive, it can utilize up to 85% of my CPU and GPU is stable at 96-98% load, fps can be as high as 110. This is hungry, but at the same time very optimized game.
With KCD i guess it just may be some system-game specific issue i really have no time and patience to deal with unfortunitely :frowning: