Backer copies only redeemable on Steam

A publisher commented on Steam, that backer copies will only be redeemable on Steam, although a GOG Version will be released on February 27.
I find it frustrating, that the people who supported the game during its development can’t chose between Steam and GOG, while the people who waited can. Normally I don’t preorder games, but I loved the idea of this game and wanted to support the developers. I think it’s unfair that the backers have a disadvantage over the rest.
I hope you find a way to make this possible. Maybe you could cancel the Steam keys of those who want the game on GOG and give them GOG keys instead. I wouldn’t mind waiting.

21 Likes

Yes, same here. It’s particularly annoying as I never even used my beta key - now it looks like even the physical copy may be tied to it. I’m still happy to see the game coming to GOG, but it does seem unfair.

5 Likes

It’s a little …smudge. I want also a DRM free copy on GOG. This is reason why i will not activate my copy on Steam and will be wait if GOG version will be available in the future.

It’s a problem give us GOG key? (later than steam version of course because piracy and bla bla bla) Larian and Obsidian don’t have problem with this…

4 Likes

Yes please. I would much rather choose a GOG key in stead of a Steam key.

5 Likes

Same here, I won’t download the steam spyware nor give Valve any intel about me.
I don’t get why you’d force us to use that if the game is gonna be released on gog.
If we can’t have a gog key instead, i just won’t play this game I backed years ago… That’s kinda sad.

3 Likes

Please make a GOG Key possible for Backers.
I realy would prefare a GOG Key even when i have to wait longer fore the release. DRM Free is extremly important for me.

9 Likes

You guys do release that Steam and Steam’s DRM system are two different things right. If you can launch it offline and seperate the files from steam that would mean it wouldn’t be affected under Steamguard thingy or whatever steam’s i believe optional DRM.

At least last time i looked over someone having this sort of discussion regarding a game.

DRM free version for me too please. Lets see it so: I backed YEARS ago for a LINUX version. I had to install Windows on a separate HDD to play beta. Now I have to play final there too. Please not another drawback for early backers :-/

And im SO excited btw that I have problems to sleep…

4 Likes

Please let us get a GOG version of KCD. I was so happy when I saw it on GOG today.

Maybe you could offer steam key owners to get a copy in GOG with GOG Connect for a week or so? I just prefer GOGs installer over Steam, as I’m a Linux gamer aswell. Having steam on every virtual drive of wine gets kinda annoying.

6 Likes

Considering that the funds were paid up front several years ago and suddenly a new option is available but early supporters are denied access to it… disappointed is putting it mildly. The lack of response to email or pm is fun too.

8 Likes

Well… that makes me feel slightyl better about having backed for a physical tier. I guess I’ll just get it also on GOG.com - it’s simply more convenient than enabling my BD-ROM in BIOS again.

Those who buy Kingdom Come: Deliverance later this month will be able to choose between Steam and GOG. You should make this choice available also to those who put their trust in you back when you launched the Kickstarter campaign and supported you from the start. I am sure that, if you have the will, there is a way… either by allowing us to redeem a GOG key in exchange for the Steam key, through the GOG Connect program, or whatever. Please don’t disappoint your backers !

6 Likes

The primary reason why I pledged for physical copy of game was that I hoped to own my copy (to be able to install it anywhere, no DRM, etc). As physical copy will probably tied to steam anyway, I don’t regret switching to digital copy.

I understand that many things promised in kickstarter campaign, couldn’t be delivered for various reasons and I wasn’t really disappointed or offended by that. However I don’t understand why those who will pre-order KC:D now (or buy game after release date) will be able to choose between steam and GOG, while we - backers - can’t.
We supported you from begining and helped you get off the ground to actually make this game and yet now we are treated as second class citizens.

So please, could someone from Warhorse explain this situation or reasoning behind this? One-line reply on steam forum doesn’t seem as very good response and I think we at least deserve an explanation.

5 Likes

I would like a response in regards to this too. Sent some emails to Warhorse’s listed contact but haven’t received anything back.

If a GOG key is being made available to non-backers, it should be an option for people who originally pledged on Kickstarter

4 Likes

+1 for GOG.

I also sent e-mail to the devs, but no answer so far.

5 Likes

Turns out many of you feel like I do about this! Maybe the devs will look into this now and find a way.

To clarify: It’s not about restrictions from Steam or if you can play offline or not, we just don’t want to be treated as second class citizens, as yenn put it.

I didn’t back on Kickstarter because I couldn’t use PayPal. Instead, I backed on their website in 2014. I think even I deserve the same choices as non-backers for supporting you.
Please don’t disappoint us! I’m sure you can find a way to give people GOG keys in exchange for Steam keys.

7 Likes

Got to agree. Seems like a slap in the nads to backers. I’m stuck with a 50 gig a month cap, after which my connection reverts to the speed of dial-up. Steam will auto-update your games weather you want it to or not ( unless that’s changed). It won’t take long to pass my limit and then just try downloading even a 3 gig update at 10 meg an hour lol. Would be nice to have a choice is all.

4 Likes

You cam turn off games individually within the games library.

what I just notice in the thread half of the people dont have a badge how are you backers?
I see lots of trouble incoming on 13th of february
gog wasnt planned in the beginning and it was known that you’ll get a steam copy, so if you have bad connection or something you couldve chosen physical version. I’m not saying that you’re wrong but warhorse is not wrong either
would be good if there is an easy solution but I dont know how the things work and I’m sure warhorse wants to solve your issues, just because you backed the game doesnt mean you can demand a better treatment you already got cheaper price and some items/extras.

1 Like

First and most importantly, my post was not intended as a put down of warhorse. I backed them oct 27 2016 at 68.94 cdn
because of this beautiful thing they were creating and wanted to see it be successful. Felt like I was helping out in some way. If you pre-order from gog today, you’ll get excactly what I’m getting, except you’ll have had a choice. Chose to back them, be nice if I could choose where to get it from is all I was saying…
As far as the badge goes, I have no clue why it doesn’t show. Doesn’t show in my profile either but I guess I don’t care enough to look into it, really.

3 Likes