Backer copies only redeemable on Steam

The devs have said, that backers only get Steam, while non-backers can chose. Very unfair, if you ask me, which is why I hope they will change their mind and make GOG possible for backers. We helped make this game possible after all.

5 Likes

Please reconsider the GOG keys.
I supported this game in may 2014 and for sure I will not mind that game on GOG will be available 2 weeks lather then on Steam .

3 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more that making the game available to non-Kickstarter backers on a no-DRM platform like GOG, while limiting KS backers to DRM, is an extremely poor decision on Warhorseā€™s part. I hope they work to correct this misguided policy over the next few weeks; otherwise, I may need to request a refund and pick the game up later on GOG myself.

3 Likes

Steam have DRM options but Steam games donā€™t have to use Steamā€™s DRM. There are many Steam games you donā€™t need Steam launcher to play after installing the game.

Yes we know. But some of us wish to remain ignorant of that fact so we can justify our unfounded hatred of Steam. Isā€™t it obvious?

1 Like

I also would like to be able to receive the GOG.com version of the game much rather than the Steam one. I initially just pledged for this game to support it, knowing that i most likely would not be playing it cause it seemed a Steam only release. Seeing now that it comes to GOG as well got me very happy, but alas, seems it was a mistake to support this game early in this case. Should have waited till now and buy it on GOG.
Well, fooled me once, wonĀ“t fool me twice.

5 Likes

+1 for GOG key.
iā€™ll donā€™t generate my steam key, while we didnā€™t get finally answer.

on Kickstarted you says nothing about types of release, game planned to be in 3 parts. Many things changed.
not so long ago, a survey was conducted on which platform we wanted to get the keys for - and GOG was absent there. itā€™s not fair.

4 Likes

Iā€™m also not activating my Steam key for now, will wait what happens. Hope they change their mind, or at least enable GOG connect.

4 Likes

First of all: I wish KCD will succeed and will be as great as this game could be. That is why I backed it years ago. And I also wish WH best of luck in the future, because they really came trough a long way to make KCD and I believe they deserve praise for that. And that I will play KCD on steam anyway, now the situation is clearer.

Yet I feel that we are being slapped for backing this game too early.

This GOG controversy could easily avoided/defused with proper communication. Many thing can be explained and forgiven, but without communication Itā€™s hard to sympathy with Warhorse on this.
I believe that GOG option was probably distributor decision, which WH couldnā€™t affect, and therefore itā€™s not their fault, but preorder option on GOG appeared on FEB 2, 2018, and to this day, there isnā€™t ANY official response from WH (please, correct me if Iā€™m wrong).
Only info we got were compiled by members of community and there were also lot of arguing, speculations, etc. ONE response (or sticky thread) would be enough to stop this.

It could be something like:

ā€œItā€™s not in our hands, but we will talk to publisher and try to make it happen.ā€

And donā€™t forget that this communication silence occured while many good looking trailers/gameplay videos were produced, probably to boost sales and increase already hyped expectations, yet there were no time to listen to community.

Many smaller studios/developers stick to their KS promises, even if it probably costs them a lot more than they expected, because their reputation is at stake. Well, it seems WH doesnā€™t care too much about that now.

This experiences (along promised Linux version, not clear information about physical edition during KS pledge, ā€¦) made me think twice about supporting any future WH project, unless itā€™s finished product.

Dear Warhorse, I still wish you success and Iā€™m looking forward to playing KCD, but please learn a lesson from this - listen to community and talk to us, donā€™t bite the hand that once fed you.

Sincerely yours
backer

8 Likes

I sure do wish that I knew how to play the violin right about now.

Yeah, communication would be the key hereā€¦

2 Likes

I funded the following games on Kickstarterā€¦

ā€¦ and received a gog.com key for:

• Double Fine Adventure (Broken Age)
  • Wasteland 2
  • Republique
  • Tex Murphy - Project Fedora (Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure)
  • Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG (Dead State: Reanimated)
  • Broken Sword 5 - The Serpentā€™s Curse
  • Project Eternity (Pillars of Eternity)
  • Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey
  • The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera
  • Sunless Skies

ā€¦ and have no doubt I will receive a gog.com key for following games:

ā€¦ and highly doubt it for the following game:
Star Citizen (Chris Roberts will probably create his own platform :wink:

I would be really happy to receive a gog.com key for Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

5 Likes

Dislike for Steam is hardly ā€œunfounded.ā€ But if you like Steam for some reason, thatā€™s nice for you.

Still waiting to see how/if things develop to give loyal Kickstarter backers a GOG option.

3 Likes

Yes, I realize that, but despite the uninformed contributions in support of Steam from other posters in this thread, KC:D uses Steamā€™s DRM. Iā€™d rather not have to log in to my Steam/internet connection every time I want to play the game, but now Iā€™m stuck with Steam, and thereā€™s no way for me to sell my Steam copy so I can instead buy a proper non-DRM copy on GOG. Extremely disappointing.

1 Like

Yeah, I wrote that before game released. We didnā€™t knew if it will have DRM or not back then. Apparently game is using worst of Steam DRM options. Most of the time when a game have Steam DRM you can play it in offline mode. Not in this case. Hopefully it would be included in GOG Connect.

3 Likes

GOG Connect would be a great option. I also emailed Warhorse to ask them to consider this. I wonā€™t be playing the game on Steam, so fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Good that I didnā€™t activate mine yet, too. As long as there is hope for GOG connect or such I will wait.

2 Likes

I got answer from support on the matter: ā€œwe didnĀ“t had GOG keys available during our crowdfundign campaign and GOG wasnĀ“t planned at this point. It came in as an option very late, and all the contracts, database, taxes and so on are connected to Steam. To change this whould need a huge amount of effort, which we canĀ“t do, because we donĀ“t have the capacities to do so.
That this answer took several days to reach you should show that we donĀ“t have spared capacities left to work on such an offerā€.

1 Like

Oldy - thanks for the info, which is similar to a response I also received a week or so ago. However, that explanation doesnā€™t change anything about a possible GOG Connect option, which would simply need Warhorseā€™s consent to make an agreement with GOG, independent of the contract/tax/etc. etc. issues theyā€™ve raised regarding their prior Steam agreement. Given the strong support among the customer base for GOG Connect, Iā€™m cautiously optimistic theyā€™ll engage this option after the GOG release in a couple weeks as a sign of respect/accommodation to their loyal Kickstarter backers.

1 Like

I donā€™t use GOG Galaxy, so GOG Connect solve nothing for me unfortunately.
I still doubt all other even smallest dev companies who provide gog keys for backers have enough resources for all that ā€œhuge amount of effortsā€. But they provide regardless.