Been playing a few weeks now

Am I missing something? I hear people talk about how good this game is. The gameplay is attrocious. The combat system is clunky and horrible. The silly lock on thing makes fighting multiple enemies impossible. The loading times are ridicilous and the overall game is buggy. Even riding the horse is a clunky mess. It’s constantly crashing into bushes and stuff.

Seriously, what am I not getting?

Combat skill is developed. And once you develop it and exercise discretion, it’s hard to lose. If button spamming works in some games, not this one.

Lock on is a pain. Not gonna lie. But as with any game, you have to work with it. Keep spacing, avoid getting flanked and mind you stamina, and multiple enemies can be dealt with. (Anecdote: I used lock on to beat one of the bastards in the ring. He had a 2 handed sword; I had Henry’s fists.)

The collision system on horseback isn’t up to RDR2 level (not even close), but imo it’s easier to ride in FPV. Auto-pathing is always an option (even if it’s a cheat to me.)

1 Like

Practice with Captain Bernard more, keep in mind that he uses the master strike technique more than any other opponent you will face in the game. That technique will be given to you by Captain Bernard once you prove yourself by training with Bernard and performing several different techniques he has tought you. Once an enemy deflects an attack and performs a counter attack, the game will slow down for a split second. During that you will wait for the opponent to come mid swing and you will see the green shield appear so you can block the counter. It took me awhile to understand that, I thought it was an unlockable move at first. But after practicing with Bernard I learned how to block a counter. Now, the lock is terrible by all means, if you’re out numbered, keep the enemies close to one another and prevent them from flanking you. Spamming attacks won’t help you, this isn’t that type of game.
tumblr_inline_oyzamromq51uad4v7_400

1 Like

So I do know all this. My point is the combat system is horrible. It’s clunky and slow, not to mention the terrible lag. It’s not ‘realistic’, it’s just slow and awkward. I’m about level 14 with a sword.

Explain.

Being able to attack from multiple directions hardly seems clunky [as opposed to button spamming and special strikes (whirlwind strike)]. Requiring that the user put together a chain of attacks to defeat armored foes hardly seems clunky.

Swing speed isn’t enough to slice a fly in half in the air. Don’t know why that’s slow or not realistic. You swing metal whilst encased in metal. Medieval melee combat didn’t have the fluidity of ballet or a Hong Kong kung fu movie.

Perhaps you mean time to kill is slow. One strike kills were a thing easier in the release; they have been dramatically reduced. Not sure why this isn’t realistic.

There’s an occasional lag in what I call initiative strikes, but after that, the game reacts to block/strike control commands. So, not sure why overall you think the cambat system is slow

I believe you are confusing realistic with gameplay… KCD is not a perfect game (thee is no game that is), KCD attempts to put the player in a “realistic” and “historical” gaming environment. I suck when it comes to fighting with a sword, but do well with mace and bow, to me that is realistic because one cannot be best at everything. Perhaps KCD is not the game for you, that happens and I hope that you find a game that you can enjoy.

@frelmedieval

I don’t know how else to explain it. Combat is slow, awkward, doesn’t feel real or spontaneous, linear & boring. It’s just not good. My point is the ‘excuse’ is that it’s realistic. My point is it isn’t. It’s difficult because the system - albeit a good idea - is so badly put together. The lock on system is a total joke in multiple combat…battles between good and bad npcs are just a mess. It’s not realistic. It’s just not good.

When someone asks you to explain what you mean by a list of adjectives and you repeat the list, you’re not explaining

I suppose I presumed most grown adults understand what said adjectives mean. Which ones are you having difficulty with or is it just all of them?

This feels more like a one-sided argument. Ok, so you hate the game, what can we do about it? There are bugs and issues that have been addressed since the beginning of the game and it still haven’t been fixed. I would like to see some improvements overall, but no telling when that’ll be. I have a thread that suggest a few improvement such as hoods up, better targeting and reduced clipping of armor and clothing. Also bugs like the knight bridle being invisible or the Robber Baron quest bug where the enemies stand in place and don’t atrack.

So tell us how the combat should be then to be realistic. Clearly you must know the answer to that.
Aso if you could post a video of yourself fighting multiple opponents, using all that combat experience you must have, so we can see how easy it should be.

I suppose as a grownup you know what a tautology means

You expressed an opinion. You haven’t provided objective criteria. You’ve been asked to explain your subjective ones but you’re too obtuse to understand

Since your too dense to explain why it’s slow, awkward, etc, at least try to provide actionable info. Precisely, what would you like to see different and please don’t say fluid and fast. What needs to happen to make KCD so

@AfLIcTeD

I never said it should or shouldn’t be realistic. What I have said, several times now, is that the claim is that it is realistic and that’s why it feels so awkward and difficult. The reason it feels awkward and difficult is because it’s just a bit of a mess. Combat is neither realistic nor well put together. Actions are extremely mechanical, with terrible input lag and slow. There is no flow in combat. The locking system is a calamity and inflexible.

You’re suggestion of posting a video fighting multiple oponents is preposterous. It was something we did in my old boxing club, in actual fact (2 v 1 sparring). I can assure you, it didn’t feel ANYTHING like this.

@frelmedieval Yes - although by your use of it here, I would suggest you do not. If any of the descriptors are giving trouble I am happy to explain what it means. Please just say. I can’t guess which words you understand and which you don’t - you have to let me know.

The locking system isn’t inflexible. You can toggle out of a locked in enemy

In your old boxing club, you sparred/fought in full armor with long swords (or shields and one handed weapons)?

@frelmedieval You’re just being silly now. Are you really saying the combat is realistic, and THAT’S why it’s so awkward and laggy. The process of stepping around, looking at one guy and waiting for a little green pentagon is ‘realism’? Get real dude. It’s a game and will NEVER offer realism. But it can be fun and engaging combat. It’s a laggy, clunky, mechanical mess.

I don’t think any video game ever created makes medieval melee combat realistic. Armor restricts motion. Even light as heck pads in TKD (태권도) restrict fluidity of motion.

You have a preoccupation with the notion of being realistic. I think it’s a bullshit notion to get hung up on.

KCD tried to emulate aspects of Fechtbuch. The melee star isn’t perfect but it’s better than anything I’ve seen or recall in the genre. Directional strikes. Strike mechanics and speed inhibited some by armor (and general encumbrance). Strike ability limited by stamina (something hardly unique … FC:ND has it). The little green pentagon doesn’t show up in hard core. And if it weren’t there (in normal mode) people would complain ferociously about the melee difficulty without the timing signal.

Skyrim as a reference is button spamming. Other than intiative strikes (defined as melee strike attempts at NPC before NPC fully aware of and locked onto) and getting pushed/hit, I never have a problem with input lag. Have hundreds of melee kills (thousands of overall kills). So don’t understand why you think KCD is laggy

@frelmedieval Nor do I. But that’s kind of beside the point.

Anyway, I think my question is answered. I asked if I’m missing something. It seems the answer is probably ‘no’.

Do learn to fight, or you will have a hell of a bad time advancing the plot.

You are missing something… The game is one where experience is gained by actions. I am sorry that you find the game mechanics “clunky” or whatever… I find the game mechanics to be “realistic” and reasonable. Each of us has an opinion, it is sad when some decide to get personal and hurl insults. No one should insult you for expressing your opinion, nor should you retaliate, but that is human nature. I have not experienced any game breaking “bugs” or glitches, and have been able to complete all quests, s for those that have not been able to you have my sympathy. It does seem the developers are addressing problems but of course there are some unresolved (either because they cannot be replicated or related to hardware and not the program).