Beta Performance Thread

Hello

I myself had some serious performance problems playing with the beta so I tried to mess a little with the config file. I reduced some of the FX, Shadow details and view distance for gras etc.
Anyway my game now runs much more smooth and is much more playable.

1. Go to your game installation directory. For me its:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Warhorse Studios\KCD_Beta

2. Backup your system.cfg in case you want the original back. (Just copy it and rename to like: backup_system.cfg)

3. Open your system.cfg with editor and replace everything with my code from the user.txt.

4. Save system.cfg

5. Try to run the game and tell me if it helped.
    I also deactivate vsync, if you want this too ingame open console and write: r_vsync 0
    but you have to do this each time you start the game.

If you have any troubles or game crash you can always delete my system.cfg and rename your backup_system.cfg back to system.cfg.

user.txt (4.5 KB)

Here’s the code if you not want to download: (copy from first line with stars)

– *************************************************************************************************
– Default system.cfg configuration for development

– Your personal settings can be stored in ‘user.cfg’ so that they don’t create
– any conflicts for version control
– *************************************************************************************************

– Disable fullscreen mode
r_Fullscreen = 0

– Shaders are compiled in parallel in precache mode
r_ShadersAsyncCompiling = 3

– Disables Remote Shader Compilation
r_ShadersRemoteCompiler = 1

– Store the shader cache in local Game directory instead of User folder (MyDocuments\MyGames)
r_ShadersUserFolder = 1

– Defaults System Spec to Medium (Launcher)
sys_spec = 2

– Sets Current Game Folder
sys_game_folder = Data

sys_float_exceptions = 0

– for development, disable loading of IMG files, load the cafs instead
– if no IMG files were created, this will also disable the warning spam messages
ca_UseIMG_AIM = 1
ca_UseIMG_CAF = 1

– For development only, on pc and when no dbas used, disabling unloading of on demand animations
ca_UnloadAnimationCAF = 1

sys_game_name = “Kingdom Come: Deliverance”

– fixed missing grass
e_MergedMeshesOutdoorOnly = 0

– default size is 24MB which is not enough
e_StreamCgfPoolSize=400

– Sound and music

– Our implementation of ATL for FMOD Studio
s_AudioSystemImplementationName = CryAudioImplFmod
wh_snd_audio_xmls_dir = “/libs/gameaudio/”
wh_sequence_music_path = “Music/beta/”
wh_sequence_main_widsh_file = “beta5.widsh”
– Fallback is:
– s_AudioSystemImplementationName = CryAudioImplFmodEx

– physical hit reactions
ca_physicsProcessImpact = 1

– WARHORSE

– Sets the sample character as the default model that automatically loads in Character Editor
ca_CharEditModel=“Objects/characters/humans/skeleton/male.cdf”

– HDR
r_HDREyeAdaptationMode = 0
r_HDREyeAdaptationSpeed = 1

– SVOTI
e_svoTI_MinVoxelOpacity = 0.7
e_svoTI_VegetationMaxOpacity = 0.7
e_svoTI_TemporalFilteringBase = 0.3 --Reduces ghosting on characters (and everywhere else) flickering of GI might be an issue

–detail shadows
r_ShadowsScreenSpace = 0
e_ShadowsPerObject = 0

–Uberlods

–Rain
r_RainOccluderSizeTreshold=15

sys_dll_game = WHGame.dll

– Using MNM
ai_useMNM = 0

wh_sys_UseSplitLevelFiles = 1

– Fix for “WH Comment” (flash based 3D text entity)
r_DynTexSourceUseSharedRT = 0

– Facial expressions sampling (by Mikee)
ca_FacialAnimationFramerate = 60

– avoidance radius
ai_ExtraAvoidanceRadius = 0
ai_ExtraActorAvoidanceRadius = 0

– missing eyes fix (including Neuhof)
ca_attachmentcullingration = 100

– shadercache log is not saved to *.cry file while saving level. (shadercache log is uded by offline shadercache generator. We have to re-enable it before building the final game)
wh_sys_DontSaveShadercacheLog = 1

wh_ed_SkipPostLoadMNMRebuild = 1

wh_dirtSystem = 0

r_SSReflCutoff = 0.1

ac_enableProceduralLeaning = 0

– one for each blendspace animation instance, original 64 is way too small
ca_ParametricPoolSize = 612

– periodic updates of the shadows cache (every 10sec) for correct shadows
e_ShadowsCacheUpdate = 0
e_ShadowsCacheInterval = 0

– enable area lights
r_DeferredShadingAreaLights = 0

– disable collisions between (living and living) and (living and rigid) entities
ac_disableLivingVsLivingCollisions = 1
ac_disableLivingVsRigidCollisions = 1

– SSDO settings by !JH
r_ssdoAmountAmbient = 1
r_ssdoAmountDirect = 1
r_ssdoAmountReflection = 1
r_ssdoRadius = 1
r_ssdoRadiusMax = 1
r_ssdoRadiusMin = 0.05

– ToDs for probes and reflex lights
wh_env_DynamicLightTimes = “4:40,5:40,6,8,12,16,18,18:20,19:20”

– vegetation settings
e_ViewDistRatioVegetation=10

– merged meshes
e_MergedMeshesLodRatio = 0.5
e_MergedMeshesInstanceDist = 0.5

– LOD settings
e_LodFaceAreaTargetSize = 0.003

– max time delta (our Timer.cpp change will apply this even to scaled framtime)
p_max_world_step = 0.5
t_MaxStep = 0.5

– tries to mitigate issues with the aggressive occlusion culling
e_CoverageBufferAABBExpand = -0.1

– we can’t solve a sync file access in game right now
sys_PakLogInvalidFileAccess = 0
sys_PakMessageInvalidFileAccess = 0

sys_languages = “pdg, german, czech, polish, french, chineses, russian”
g_language = “pdg”

e_ObjectLayersActivation = 1

– necessary for chinese fonts
sys_flash_address_space = 53248

2 Likes

For those with 144Hz monitor you can also set the refresh rate manually with console to avoid tearing after turning vsync off.

disable vsync:
open console - write: r_vsync 0

change refreshRate:
open console - write: r_overrideRefreshRate = 144
144 = Hz your monitor (can be any number)

Hey, got a lag problem.

My specs:
I7 6700k @4.2 ghz
Gtx 1070
32 gb ram
Game runs on ssd

On every graphic level there is every 5 - 10 secs a short lag. The gane runs fluebtly @ around 60 fps.

Anybody knows the problem? :confused:
Greetings

I’ve been running a few tests on the game and no matter what setting, from low to very high (with max draw distance), I keep getting the exact same fps. While monitoring my GPU, ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC, my software says that Kingdom Come is only using no more than 40% of my GPU and 30% of my CPU.
I know the game isn’t optimized yet, but this is just to show you guys that most likely your system is not the problem.

1 Like

Unfortunately the beta version is unplayable… FPS is always 25 until 30, no matter if you have very high or low graphic Setting.

Then i have every 10 Seconds Framerate Drops, where the FPS drops under 10.

My Specs:

CPU: AMD FX™-6300 Six-Core Processor (4400.11 MHz)
RAM: 32733 MB
Betriebssystemversion: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit (Build 9600)
Grafikkarte: GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2

I would love to help with Bug Reports, but no Chance!

In the current state of the project it would be bold to call it a super early alpha access. It’s not even a first playable… Let’s make it clear. Beta is for polishment and bug fixes. The development milestones have been here for ages and I’m not throwing this directly from my head. A simple google search would prove this:

I’ve been working on the game industry for the past 10 years (In companies of different size. Ubisoft, Glu Mobile and also in Startups) and I never saw a project so badly optimized. I strongly believe that the devs don’t know the size of the hole that they got into.
Develop and optimize it! How you could say that you finished a task if you let the game unplayable? You could say that “we know what is causing this terrible performance, but we will optimize it later”. So if you know what’s the culprit, what’s the point in put more and more stuff in the game and mask other performance issues? It’s way easer to optimize a feature when you are working on it. First because it’s fresh in the mind. Second because you have less things to look.

Right now they have no clue of the size of the problem that they have in their hands. If someone claim to know, it will became even more dangerous.

IMHO the game concept is amazing. I just bought in the moment that I read about it. But would be way more fair to call it “Access to the early development stages”.

I tested the game in such variety of hardwares and everything points towards the CPU. Since the game is not using the cores in an efficient way, it should be a multithread synchronization issue. (just making a guess…)
The worst part so far is that there is so little features in the world that is hilarious the fact that it performs so badly. It’s a dead world, with lifeless npcs and “fair” graphics.

I hope that it gets at least playable in ultra high end machines in a near future.

1 Like

I don’t belive its unoptimized, i guess the devs never thought about to give such a version to the backers, they forgot it would be a good publicity for non backers.

The gameplaymaterial they showed allready looks much better optimized. They don’t conzentrate on mouth to mouth propaganda.

Some friends i told how bad it run, decieded to wait till launch, its lost money.

this game performance is terrible… i am not limited by hardware at all
i7 6700k oc’d to 4.4 ghz stable
ddr4 running at 3400 mhz
asus ftk 1080 with or without oc’d
game is running of an SSD

oon 1080p, i am barely getting 40-45 fps. thats the same as a lot of other people here with lower specs. even if i drop from very high to high, or turn shadows to low, or any settings, cannot get it to run better. this is basically unplayable. also my GPU usage never exceeds 45% -> this is a direct problem with optimization

Maybe the devs could make just one more update to the beta? To optimize and fix alot of the bugs.

That would make me want to play a lot more and give me, and others, the idea that the game will be playable at launch.

1 Like

i guess an beta update will never happen. It would be nice but the devs hide the process and told more than once they dont want to update the beta.

They could, but they have stated that they won’t. The beta is as fixed as it’s going to get.

But if we were honest, thats not the meaning of an beta. In our case its more a demoversion than a beta.

1 Like

This post was made seven months ago and there’ve been no discernible improvements in optimization. You need to stop everything else you are doing and improve performance.

1 Like

There have been two major updates to the beta. Neither of them addressed optimization. The first fixed the bug where the final battle would crash 100% of the time if you continued a saved game. The second added minor things like using a torch while riding a horse and subtitles in various languages.

They need to finish the game, which is what they’re focusing on… As well as wasting time on making a simultaneous console and PC release. They won’t be making any further beta updates. None. Zero.

If anything, they need to fix the constant crashing, save game bugs, as well as a more streamlined method of advancing time that doesn’t calculate every single footstep of every single character. There also needs to be something to ensure key characters don’t get stuck and just stand around doing nothing, or refuse to speak, even with the button prompt. Also, invisible walls. Just remove the invisible walls.

If after all of that is fixed, they work on proper utilization of GPUs, then that will be a good thing too, but none of that will happen until release of the full game, which is currently expected some time in 2017.

If the game isn’t playable then it doesn’t matter if the content is finished.

The beta is playable, and the content isn’t finished. So, wrong on both counts.

I’m getting 20 fps on every single graphics settings with a Titan X. The game is unplayable, and it’s sad because when I’m not watching a slideshow it’s actually fun and engaging.

Hi.

For those of you that get really low fps even on low settings.

do this:

In console:
r_ssdo ( set amount of ssdo settings to 1)
r_fogshadows 0
r_motionblur 0
r_vsync 0

You can also look for more settings under R_ or E_

1 Like

This game is a disaster performance wise. I am really curios on what systems are the devs developing this?
I get 40-45fps on a high end machine (i7 6700K@4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080). Exactly same fps regardless of VeryHigh or Low Graphic settings. GPU utilization is around 50%. These are pre-alpha issues that should have been solved LONG ago. I am 90% sure that they won’t be fixed when the game releases (if it ever releases).

The unoptimised beta is unoptimised. The performance of an unoptimised beta is less than desired for the release version post optimisation.

In other news, water is wet.

1 Like