Combat becomes trivially easy by mid-game. This MUST be fixed

Are you serious? They literally point out Henry goes from being smashed by Runt to smashing him or did you ignore that happening. He’s literally making Runt look like a fool in the cut scene. How long was supposed to have went by. This is a video game. Want to learn how to use a sword? Go join a HEMA competition and find out all about it. You want skill based game go play Dark Souls. This is obviously stat based.

If you want to talk about lengthening the time it takes to level stats, that is one thing. But I really don’t see what your talking about. Henry does progress that’s what levels are obviously for and always have been in RPG’s. This isn’t exactly ARMA.

2 Likes

I fully agree with you and I’m sad that my duels with the wayfaring knight, end so fast.

1 Like

I really think if they removed leveling from practice and only rewarded experience for successful use in live situations you would level slower and Henry would miss all his arrow shots, he’d be sluggish and weak until you won enough real fights to feel you earned the skills more. But as is, you basically want swords to do 0 damage to armor. Because I don’t see the AI improving. One of the big problems is the AI can’t properly block the thrust attack. That’s far bigger problem than armor values will ever be.

I have to disagree there. Yes if you dedicate a lot of time to learn the combat and max out your stats you become extremely good but I think that is a good thing and really rewarding for your effort as a player and character. And it is not like in Skyrim where with enough heavy armor and health you are basically invincible to everything that is not an elite mob. Here a bandit with a mace can still inflict damage to you and two bandits with maces + a archer can even when you are that good become a pain in the ass and I think that is exactly the right way to go.

This is breaking the game, I have 40 hours of gameplay and now i’m the best fighter in history, I just have to hit a armored guy one or two times and he falls dead… what is going on man ? They NEED to fix this ASAP

6 Likes

Why would this be fixed? If you stab someone in the throat with a sword, I don’t care who they are they will die. All it takes is a carefully placed hit and the best fall. Also, Henry with training should realistically be better than bandits. A person with formal training vs a bad guy without training.

The thing is, I can kill basically anyone, not just bandits, and I kill them with just two or tree hits. I don’t think that a HEAVY armored guy should be killed with tree hits, all of them on the armor. Now I’m using the worse longsword I found so people don’t die so quicly…

I think they could extend the time it takes to raise stats. But I don’t believe real combat was a drawn out affair like Hollywood portrays. I just don’t believe you can take a guy down and stab him through his visor with the dagger so they compensate in attack power and other things. Blunt weapons were not the only way to killed armored opponents. Harness throws and many techniques existed to get the upper hand against one another. But in real fights it usually came to split second decisions and the first fatal mistake. As far as being able to attack from angles and enemies shields moving responsively all that is realistic. The AI simply isn’t very good though. Not to say you can’t be swarmed but 1v1 to 1v2 you can really abuse it. Look at your damage to damage received stats. Now either enemies stats are all very low doing low damage. Or they just don’t fight very good and you block way more damage than they do. Combo? Just master block with a shield. The AI can literally be yanked into clinches. Back up let em chase move forward clinch, simple. What did you people expect? As far as the shield needing to move on the screen, the sword being used properly it is more realistic than skyrim. Enemies don’t just hold their shield like a homeless sign they move it to meet the blade.

On another note I can’t perform mounted combat at all.

I honestly think they AI are just pretty dumb. When I’m charging a camp of 5 bandits I can slay them all before they even stand up from sitting around a campfire

2 Likes

I was able to kill the whole of Rattay without a real problem… i just rode there shot a few stabbed a few from horseback and then got down to hack the rest to pieces… Really? After beeing a smith for almost all my life i can now defeat a whole town on my own?

1 Like

If you want mounted combat then just stab… its the easiest, but i think they could improve mounted combat a lot… just look at how you slash from horseback… it makes no sense at all to not hit in the direction youre riding but against it…

Thanks for tips but it’s just easier for me to get off the horse. I’ll try it though.

Stats are the problem. Enemies simply don’t seem to scale at all, with a handful of exceptions. Again, this wouldn’t be a problem if weapon damage scaling weren’t so retardedly, hilariously inflated, to the point that my damage reaches the stratosphere by level 10.

Enemies in plate should be virtually immune to most sword slashes, for crying out loud. You should be required to perform specialized attacks to kill plate-wearing enemies with a sword. This was even addressed by the developers in this video, but for some reason, all that went out the window in favor of Skyrim-style stat inflation. This game is 100% arcade, plain and simple, despite it being sold on a notion of realism and authenticity.

I mean, think about how cool it would be to have to perform these complex combination moves to stab at weak points in the enemy’s armor, like their visors. Think about the skill-based element that would entail, since your opponent would be doing the same to you. But no – none of that is in the game, since combinations don’t matter. There’s literally no reason to use any combination attack. None. Zero.

6 Likes

I see sparks when I am supposed to hit armor and blood when I don’t. When I first started out I saw sparks a lot. Now I see mostly blood. I don’t think that is because he is supposed to be “cutting though armor” but getting better.

If you want such a challenge with a sword go fight a real person in a HEMA competition like I said. But you want to sit in a chair and pretend you’re ever going to simulate using a sword in a video game. They couldn’t even allow the directional attacks with out a lock on system that ruins fluidity. In real combat one swing against one enemy could easily position a follow up on another but you can do none of that. If the enemy could fight you like real life you would die every time. They just need to tackle you from behind and your dead. You couldn’t do any of these 1 on 4 fights. You couldn’t do anything in the game. You’d die from infections of a wound. You’d lose your arm to gangrene. The game story basically requires Henry to be Jamie Lannister he has to take on whole camps himself.

2 Likes

The only thing most people are asking for is challenge. That’s not too much to ask, is it? Like those uber bandits toward the end of the bandit camp missions. Even if this is a video game, the developers clearly intended for it to be more authentic than it currently is. There’s plenty of videos that show just how ineffective swords are against armor, and the game clearly TRIES to simulate that – but developer oversight clearly led to weapon damage far exceeding armor values.

To reiterate, this is a scaling issue, and it can – and should be – fixed, because it’s simply not working as intended on the basis of what this game was fundamentally sold on. People were gushing about how refreshing it is to have challenging combat in a game for once, but that’s complete baloney by the time you’re barely halfway through the game.

5 Likes

i think they intended for henry to turn into a badass midway through the game. it makes sense though, if you use one weapon consistently you’ll get very good at it. the suggestion to use another type of weapon is valid

It is more authentic than skyrim. Shields in skyrim are held like “will work for food” signs. You want a challenge? Lord, what challenge? Even if I need to hit a guy 40 more times it won’t change most of you taking advantage of the AI. Just like it doesn’t matter whether I kill Gwynn in Dark Souls naked or not naked. The difference is the Dark Souls AI especially in 3 is designed to fuck you for trying to fuck it. Think you’re going to cheese and the next thing you know a boss has jumped up on the ledge you thought you would cheese from.

You can cheese this AI regardless and most of you do. Then complain about the combat after you hit a guy who didn’t even block correctly. How do I know this because I look at my damage received to damage dealt stat. And since level 1 it has been vastly positive because I can defend and theycant.

1 Like

I second that. Game is becoming too fast too easy. Henry now feels more like a jedi master with a lightsabre than a blacksmith’s boy with mediveval weaponry.

7 Likes

Then the story should end with him fighting runt and dying. Because he’d never bridge that gap in the real world.

2 Likes

It should be assumed that not only Henry can train and become a great fighter. Others should be doing it also.