Combat System Discussion

For parrying, blocking use “Q” key.
I belive that you can find some control instruction when pressing “Esc” and clicking on “Help”

Some video for celebrating devs effort;) Enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL5IK1ydH2A

1 Like

So far, I’ve only managed to land combos after a succesfull parry. I don’t even know how I did it and it is kind of random for me. I don’t really land the consecutive hits needed but it happens right after I parry.

I got the oxen hoof and scarmaker that way.

Just finished all shield combos, video coming soon.
Once you train a bit and get familiar with the moves, the combos launch quite often and well, One advice,notice where the hit ends after a swing, it ussualy ends where the next move for combo should start so you dont need to worry much about mouse moves.
Scarface is my favourite yeh, I do like how the blood spreads in the air and how foe holds his face :slight_smile: Shield combos not so fance though, you will see soon by yourself.

And here it is, enjoy;) Đ

4 Likes

Ugh…combos… Sorry but they remind me of old arcade games like Street Fighter (yes im that old!). Are those reactions tied only to after-combo and not into regular hits? God if so thats really disappointing. The fighting needs to be as emergent and freeform as possible with various wounding animations tied into ALL valid critical sword hits -not just precanned ones.

2 Likes

I agree. There should be more complex moves without combos. A regluar fight without combos looks very basic.

Well, have another opinion. If I consider, that they are trying to do realistic game and look at it this way, you have several approaches based on how the sword-wielder is skilled
from beginner or farmer I would expect only easy swings - simply slashes, without much impact, no need for extra animation
skilled swordmen - they will never use simply slashes but usualy combos to finish opponent faster
master - truly hard but devasting combos

So far I must say am happy with this combat system, in my opinion devs found nice combination between realism and gameplay, although combos need polish a bit and maybe put there more easy ones lets say only two steps combos, so I can use them in battle,4 steps combos are to much when surviving that chaos around.

Update after beta pach:
Finally finished battle as winner and must say combos are nicely usefull in there, great work, co maybe two step combos would be to easy;) Keep 3 and 4. Final guy killed after one launch of combo:).

After finally finishing battle I was very excited, great moments almost like in real life combat!

Đ

Another piece to show a 3vs1 combat, enjoy;)

Maybe it will raise some question to devs…

This would be awesome! Two-step combos, that do more than normal damage, but less than the more intricate combos, could be very useful. As it stands now, the three and four step combos are just too much for me to pull off, so I mostly use feints for every blow and usually win any 1-1 fight, and sometimes 1-2 fights as well. When I use feints, I rarely ever get blocked, but I have not gone far into the game either.

This is exactly what I would love to see! I really hope we do get polearms in the game! My ideal weapon would be a big, nasty halberd, with a spear point for thrusting, and a big, mean axe head for slashing! I could see great advantages with this weapon, as long as one kept their enemy at a distance, but great disadvantage if the enemy gets in close. Fair enough, I think.

I personally hate the combat for this game, it’s clearly catering to the console players leaving mouse and keyboarders struggling to execute combo moves. The whole lock on mechanic is another dumbed down choice for people who are inept at actually moving a character with movement keys. Any Chivalry players will tell you that there is a lot of skill involved just in moving your character freely with the keyboard just to be in the right position, this game takes all that away.

The combos are a total joke, they are made for a controller, trying the hit the diagonals with a mouse is like a lottery when executing a combo, I tried it with the controller and it’s easy but I hate controllers. The thing is though even if I could hit them with a M+K it’s still a horrible system, it’s like a dance rather than a fight. I was hoping for brutal fast paced combat like chivalry where I had to execute my combos by actually using feign and switching mid attack rather than having them all pre loaded (dumbed down again).

I had hoped for a brutal combat system that relied on the skill of the player to move freely, feign the right attack and work out his own combos by using this feign design tricking the enemy into think I was going for the head but switching to the body on attack then planning a few advanced moves like when my sword hits I quickly move position to his side while turning my view leaving him not even able to see where I am, but this game allows him to lock to me and follow my every move. It’s dreadful.

Well I am still waiting for someone to refine the chivalry combat system and take it to the next level and design a game around that, Kingdom Come is not that game, it’s a dumbed down console friendly dance.

1 Like

First let me say that I am a M+K user only, and have never used a controller, nor do I intend to. So you find the mouse part of the combat too hard, and the movement part of combat too easy? I certainly do continue to struggle with the combos, but my problem is usually because I do not remember all the right sequences in the 3-4 part combos, or I just do not get them right in fast enough succession to make them “go off.” I certainly would not want combat to be even faster! It is really the stamina system that limits the speed of combat now, as I can go in and do several attacks very fast, but then your stamina is gone, and you must back off and regain it.

I really worried about how well I would be able to do when I saw this combat, and the rather archaic movement only by WASD, as I have used the mouse for fluid movement in games for over a decade. After much practice over the last week (according to Steam I have played 49 hours so far) I have decided I can probably get good enough at this to do what I must in the game, while freely admitting I will never be the “best.” However, if combat were speeded up I do not think I would ever be able to “get it” and hope the pace of combat stays as is.

First of all: Yes, it is pain to execute the attack in the right direction with K+M. At least not without hours of training. But developers read the feedback so I believe there will be some optimization. I haven’t played it with a controller though.

But I really disagree that it’s dumbed down just because it’s not in the spirit of Quake-like games, fast and brutal.
I played Chivalry since 2008 or so and it was fun. But it never meant to be realistic (though there was a lot of discussion about it on the forum), which is exactly what is KCD trying to.

And yes, it is realistic. Combos and basic attack are existing techniques. You may see target lock as console thing, but that Chivalry passing-by-attacks would’t work in real. You have to fully concentrate on your opponent to hit. And he won’t let you move out of his sigh. That’s not dreadful, that’s logic.

If you wanted a game that refine Chivalry… well, it is multiplayer unrealistic fast action. Single player realistic RPG have another need.

1 Like

So many great posts and discussions here I’d like to say first of all.

To mention a possible side questions: 1) Will combat noises (numerous men yelling, screams, weapons clashing, etc), be more prominent in the combat? 2) Will combat get faster as you upgrade?

From what I’ve seen, there are those elements, but it just doesn’t seem loud enough. For most warriors and soldiers throughout history have always commented on the sheer noise of battle. Now of course, this may be fixed a bit for the full game and perhaps I’m being a little too picky. The game is very wonderful.

1. Others have mentioned this issue in other threads and posts here. Combat seems a bit slow. Now this just may be the beta getting everyone just used to the combat system and for the final game, things will be quicker. I know things like armor and lack of stamina will slow you down, but the more professional soldiers and knights would be able to move around well due to experience and training and thus would make a faster, more difficult opponent. Again, this is an issue that may be addressed in the final game and/or I just may be too picky.

I hope everyone is enjoying the game and having fun.

Scipi, your video at the coment number 10 (Feb '14) doesn’t serve as an example. What you are seing there are not medieval swords but renacentist estocs, which are more of a cross between a rapier and a longsword rather than a longsword. The blade is thinner, and it hast almost no weight. They weren’t weapons to cut as much as to stab, and in fact it was that way because the lack of weight.

Here you go with something to difference the existing long swords.

One annoying thing I found when sword fighting in the arena was the effect of being tired came over my character mid-fight. Which, because I’m playing the diplomat, made the fight I was already failing at very frustrating.

Also, after the tutorial fight - is the “training” level (where you pay to fight) unlimited in time? I got bored after 15 minutes and left the arena.

It’s not that you pay to fight. You BET to fight. It is not obviusly unlimited in time, but you gotta win the fight, which being in the diplomat character, is kinda more difficult, you will probably need a lot of hits to get your enemy beaten. Don’t ever think about fighting the difficult one.

It’d be great if they could include a slider or something similar which can speed up the combat animations or some such to make the combat as fast as you wish it to be. Similar to mount&blade.

I saw a lot of whining, and i felt that i must to say it: Combat system is great! Dear devs, dont change anything!