Combat System Discussion

COMBAT SYSTEM

Hi there. I noticed that this thread is still missing here. What I have seen in the videos looks extremely good so far and I love it.

I would love to see a non-hollywood like system. No extra moves and sprinkles. I am sure that this game is not the case, but many other have this issue, if they implement more than hit/block. I am pretty sure that you guys from Warhorse made a great decision when inviting swordsmen of whom we have plenty in our lands to ensure as realistic experience as possible.

Some inspirational videos of how I imagine a fight to look like THIS THIS. I am aware, that these are vikings, but fighting in central Europe looked very much alike, these are just extremely nice to watch :smile:

Another thing which is already discussed in another thread is implementing long weapons. Everyone who has ever tried to fight with a spear in real life wished to finally get a game with working spear combat system :blush: Mount & Blade is very close, but still making closer distance fight impossible. If we hit 700k and there will be motion capture used, please make it work!

8 Likes

I agree that combat should be very realistic - but I wouldn’t want it to be slow.

I doubt that the combat will be, but I don’t want slow combat.

How many weapons can your character carry? Or between how many weapons can you quickly choose during a combat? I would like to see realistic system with advantages and disadvanteges for each weapon and that mean you must quickly adapt to a situation. I’m looking forward to some more info :slight_smile:

Yeah, me too. Although I think that Dan and others consider realism to be of utmost importance, so I am not so afraid that something bad is going to happen. Like taking a whole armory wherever you go :smiley:

Can’t wait to see updates on the combat system. I’m curious on just how much manual control there is, and I also hope longswords won’t be slow because… they weren’t :wink:

I’m also curious on how historically accurate combat in battles are going to be. Having a shield was very common to put it mildly. And how to deal with archers if you’re fighting without a shield (which I can imagine is the most romantic thing for most people, myself included).

Hello everyone,
if you liked the sword fighting (in general), I suggest you WAR OF ROSES.
you will find the spirit of Mount & Blade, but I find more complete.
following weapons blows and blows preparation changes.
in the same way, the defense with a shield or a sword changed the way to approach the fight.
this is currently the best system I’ve played.
I hope to have as much fun with kingdomcome.
in addition, the distance weapons, bows, crossbows are also playable.

1 Like

There is really not much you can do against an archer without a shield. That is why shield were so common in battles :smile:

I agree with the fact that although a realistic battle system would be awesome, I don’t want it to be too slow. I don’t want to wait forever to change from melee to range. At the same time, I don’t want to instantaneously draw out my weapons and swing like a maniac.

My main concern is that they’re going to apply some inaccurate limitations on some of the weapons. Like they mention on their Kickstarter page, “the longsword is strong, but slow, and cannot be used from horseback, etc.” Which is rather incorrect. You can see HEMA tournaments like this one and see that longswords were by no means “slow.”

I also hope they ensure all parts of a weapon can be used, like bashing with the crossguard and pommel on a sword was common.

6 Likes

Combat system is the main thing why I supported this project and honestly I have a really big expectations from this game.

I would love to see a system where you HAVE TO fight. Not like in most of games nowadays that are more like interactive movies. I mean, remember those good old times when it took hours to kill a boss. Player had to learn a good strategy, to study the enemy, to load hundred times. That feeling after that was amazing. “Whoaah, I did it!” Miss this in games today.

Real looking combat system with high enough difficulty and smart enemies, that’s what I am looking for. A challenge…

2 Likes

I really think the game has to make use of spears and other polearms (and think about how to balance a spearman and a swordsman, for example), and also deal with the shield/no shield wielding in a dynamic way. “Mount and Blade” is a good example of how to choose your weapon selection easily. “Blade: The edge of Darkness” also had an awesome and demanding combat system based on stamina and intelligent attacks, not just clicking your enemies away. You should really check it out :wink:

2 Likes

True, long sword (two-handed) uses lever-effect, so it is much quicker than one-handed weapons. Also it is only slightly hevier than one-handed swords. You can always use your left hand for grabs and punches. Main disadvantage would be no shield = less protection against arrows.

2 Likes

Realistic combat is actually quite fast, not nearly as slow as you might think.

Also it’s a lot more then just hit or block, you have disarms, trips, grapples, etc that can happen depending on what the other guy does or how he reacts.

5 Likes

If it could use a system like that of Mount & Blade: Warband or Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (or a mixture of the two) that would be great. At least as responsive/fast as these two games and not as buggy as Skyrim’s.

no qte and slow mo execution pls

1 Like

I always think of a few scenes from Kingdom of Heaven as a decent example of media portraying medieval combat somewhat realistically. It is brutal, vicious and there are no special moves or jumping around in heavy armor. I hope this game can bring us realistic approach, with the ease of certain moves progressing along with your abilities and training. There should be directional attacks, blocks, parries, counters and such.

I think the combat system is going to be something none of you have even conceived of.
Unless you’ve worked with 3dsmax, Maya, Modo or some other big 3d app… you won’t know how good Kingdom Come’s system sounds. We still don’t know the exact details yet, but it actually sounds (and looks) like it’s going to have Inverse Kinematics for the hand/fore-arm moving the swords, and it even looks like the swords will be colliding with each other, and affecting each other dynamically with “Inverse Kinematics.” These are my guesses, but the next few weeks will be very exciting as Vavra will show us videos of it, so we don’t need to guess. The trick is not to make this sort of system cumbersome in any way. Vavra seems confident, as he says the melee combat system is what he is “most excited about.” If it is successful - it will pave the way for all future melee combat games, including the wonderful M&B series and whatever else comes along. I think Vavra has set ambition high on attempting to revolutionize combat.

Btw. Roland Warzecha got your sword & shield combat, and sword & buckler combat covered :wink:

1 Like

I am also very interested how the combat system will look like in the end because with the weapons they have shown until now ans the usual armor that probably will be available (non, the unspeakable leather, light steel, full plate etc) there is a very big variety of different combinations.

I would also love if the player would have the disadvantage of a full plate armor, not the speed, one can be nearly as fast an agile with a good armor, but the field of vision. As it is planed in first person, that would be possible…

The longsword speed also seemed little strange to me, it is at least as fast as the one handed sword, but without the protection of a buckler (or shield in battle).
The problem with the swordfish-tournament is, as i mentioned in elsewhere:
As long as the combatants do not loose points when they got double hits, they are very careless, if there is a sudden-death mode and one looses if one get hit, it chances dramatically. The fight itself is still very fast, but the approach is much more careful…

1 Like

I would say that longsword si faster than one-handed sword for sure :wink: To hit hard with one-handed sword you need to do long swing to deliver enough energy. With long grip of long sword you are using effect of the lever (not sure if this is proper term in English) and you need shorter swings and you deliver more energy. I prefer one-handed swords, but have to admit, that longswords are faster :slight_smile:

1 Like

You bring up a good point regarding helmets.

Since the game is first person I do hope wearing different types of helmets (open face, visor, etc) will be modeled to reflect the differences and drawbacks to some degree. Though it might not be as drastic as some might think (IE your eyes are close enough to a visor that it wouldn’t be like looking through a “thin” line as some might think, but it’s still a noticeable change).

Also the affects it can have on the sound/hearing.

Would love to see that reflected in the game.

4 Likes