Coop a must for next acts

I understand why a lot of people don’t like the idea of an all out multiplayer, but I’m not talking about that, I’m talking a drop in drop out coop style game, where a buddy could load his character into my game and vice versa 2 players is fine but up to 4 would be great, especially for the large battles. I understand this isn’t happening for Act I as they have explicitly stated that in their updates section on kickstarter (but maybe a later patch???), but in the next acts I would very much like to see a coop ability in the game. This way, people that like the single player only aspect can keep that and they can continue by themselves, and anybody who wants to play with a friend can bring them onto their game.

This, I think, can also help with the marketing of their game, as people will want to bring in their friends to play with them, and they can then enter their world to help show that person the game should they want that

Once again, this takes nothing away from the people that want to play single player, and with it being a drop in drop out, they don’t even need to maintain multiplayer servers as the person who’s game they’re in will be hosting the game.

Personally I think this would add greatly to the game and I just wanted to get my opinion out there, because I can’t be the only one.

(I saw a couple of multiplayer threads already, but they didn’t discuss what I was interested i.e. multiplayer survival and an act IV multiplayer… yeah, not what I care about. So that’s why I started this one.)

Your thoughts?!

13 Likes

the lack of paragraphs and the fact that you made yet another multiplayer topic is, i think, detrimental to your goals.

6 Likes

my thought is: please stop bitching about multi-player and coop

12 Likes

Wow 2 minutes in and 2 people pissed off. Fair enough, First, Thank you 213 for your feedback, I’ve adjusted it to paragraphs, and I agree it looks a lot better. As for this being “another multiplayer post” well, I see I must further clarify, as I said, those posts don’t talk about just adding basic coop. If you want to play by yourself, great, you still can, but those who wanted to play with someone else can. This caters to both sides.

4 Likes

Nope, do not want. This takes valuable time and resources away that could be utilised to improve the single player. Don’t get me wrong, I like co-op in dudebro shooters like Gears or Halo but I have no interest in having it shoehorned into the Kingdom Come experience just for the sake of it.

13 Likes

Integrating a coop in the persistent world might be in conflict with the roleplay design (decision making has to be limited to the host or all players are treated like one character as in LotR: WitN or other workarounds). Sure having a well implemented coop would be incredibly cool for some, but others won’t care.

It’s good to have a dedicated topic for that though so one gets an idea how the (active fraction of the) community thinks about it.
EDIT: Maybe this topic could have gone in Subtle Multiplayer WITHIN Campaign where a fleshed out multiplayer suggestion is being made.

1 Like

I did read that one, and it had some things i liked but others not as much; I did read it before posting this, and I will be going back to see others’ updates. I wanted this one to be laid out first before we got to the more specifics of it, if that makes sense. And LotR: WitN was an exact example i had in mind! Borderlands style coop was another one. This way I think it keeps it very simple on the game design stand point, yet can add a lot of fun those that want it, and can open it up to a larger audience.

As for those that won’t care about there being a coop, that’s exactly the point, it won’t affect them, only those who want it.

1 Like

@InvisibleShadow, I understand your concern, that’s why i’m trying to set it up in the easiest way possible for the deveolpers (see my post in reply to Roi Danton) Also, I am more trying to get this for Act II When the might have more of a time table to get it done.

Finally, the other thing is, that I’m not in a hurry for the game, I want them to take their time to get it right.

This is absolutely true.

First issue is decisions made by both players. Whose decisions would be viable in the game? If it would be the host’s only, it would spoil the immersion for the second player. And immersion is what KCD is all about.

Second issue is balancing everything for two players. Everything would have to be balanced so that it is not too easy for two players and still not too hard for one player.

Third issue would be more powerful characters joining less advanced ones. How would you solve this one?

Fourth issue is the world’s reaction to two characters instead of one. Every character in the game would have to have their reactions adjusted, so it doesn’t feel weird.

Fifth issue is the dialogues. There would have to be a solution for dialogues. Maybe only one player would be speaking and the other would just watch and listen. Or they could take turns. It would also have to be adjusted, so that the character the players are speaking to refers to two guys instead of one.

5 Likes

Short answer: no

Long answer: Co-op done right means that you have to change the whole storyline and simply almost everything in the game to react to co-op gameplay. Few story-driven game did this so far. Dead Space 3 had a co-op campaign specifically made to cater to a good co-op experience. Divinity Original Sin aims for it. Co-op is much easier to implement in an all action-game where everything is about combat. That was even the case in Dark Souls for example because DS is all about combat and fighting. But in a story-driven RPG with lots of dialogue and decision making involved a simple tagged-on co-op mode wouldn’t make much sense. You can only achieve a really well made co-op mode here when you involve the second player in everything in the game. That means (like in Divinity Original Sin) that the second player must be recognized by NPCs and be able to express their opinion in decision making. Making a good co-op mode in a story-driven RPG is literally about making another game, not only adding a new mode. Imho resources are better to be used elsewhere. Act 1 is announced as a SP game and the other two acts will continue the story of the SP hero. There is simply no reason to change the whole concept and vision for the game for the future acts. As much as I like a good co-op experience this game isn’t about MP or co-op. It’s about a story-driven SP RPG. That’s all. :wink:

10 Likes

I agree 100%, the only way that this would ever work is if the game was built from the ground up to be a co-op experience, which would have a very detrimental effect on the single player experience that I can guarantee most people who backed this game wanted more.

1 Like

It seems more a must that coop NOT be forced on a game that is not designed for it. Not every game has to have a coop or multiplayer element to be good.

2 Likes

Skyrim has not this feature as example. Why people need multiplayer everywhere? I want this game, because middleage experience in singleplayer. Multiplayer is good, but not important. I want it, but not now. After solid singleplayer experience I´ll want more, but first we need basis.

Lets get this game first then worry about the act 2 and 3 :wink:

@Ascalon - I think in the previous thread everyone (for the most part) agreed that multiplayer like you discussed in the second and third Act’s would be great. But like @AhmadKhan said I just want to play Act I then we will worry about Act II and III.

1 Like

Ahem, no. Not everyone agreed on that.

1 Like

Hey I know that sometimes people skip over certain things while reading so let me just re-iterate this, “I think in the previous thread everyone (for the most part) blah blah blah”. I know you made a mistake and it’s cool. :smile:

I think Coop is the finest expierience a game can deliver

7 Likes

The best games come from developers who get to do what they love and want to, and that’s the great thing about kickstarter! I’m a huge fan of coop but really, what the developers feel the best doing is going to produce the best experience.

I’d love some non-intrusive coop, where it wouldn’t detract from the story. I’m not asking for the action game type coop but just the coop that you described. It’d be awesome to buddy around with someone, causing havoc, exploring the world, gambling, hunting and fishing for the largest prey. That would be a dream come true though it’s a lot to ask… I’m more of a sandbox player so the idea of coop really appeals to me.

5 Likes