Cuman / Bandit Camps ( 4v1 / 5v1 combat )

I’ve been playing the game for about 12 hours now, and I’ve got into multiple scraps with bandits and Cumans. I really love the combat and I’m really enjoying fighting enemies one on one. I’ve been using a controller to play on PC, but I’ve noticed a few things when it comes to fighting multiple enemies.

Switching between targets is not as easy as it should be, when I’m trying to fight one Cuman, and another likes to chime in like the AI does, it becomes quite difficult to properly switch to each target and block or parry successfully. If I try to attack one target and then quickly attack another, the attack is almost always blocked, if I -can- even manage to switch targets that quickly. The mouse/keyboard may work better I don’t know, but as of right now controller combat feels a bit wonky, as any (right analog stick) movement too much in one direction will send your camera flying off into the distance away from your enemies… when your trying to target another enemy. Hmm.

Which brings us to my main point of this topic. So I like the idea of Bandit Camps being in the game, but clearing them out by yourself is a little bit… much? I’ve played plenty of fighting/adventure/RPG games before, I’ve beaten Witcher 3 on Deathmarch difficulty. I’ve played some punishing games. The difference is this game is super realistic, and getting ganged up on by 3 to 4 enemies at once and being expected to effectively block and attack whilst being simultaneously beaten stabbed and slashed by multiple enemie— block him-- attack him-- spank he----

You see where I’m going here? In other games you have wild or maybe even ‘fantasy-esque’ techniques that allow you to fight multiple enemies at once in sweeping slashes and whirling attacks. Walking into a bandit camp and trying to fight 4 enemies at once in Kingdom Come is like being the annoying kid on the block who always gets beat up, you literally cant even do anything when they just smack the stamina out of you. You’re like the character in every cliche TV show who gets captured and tortured, groups of people just beat the snot out of you, insult you in foreign tongues, then kill you. Great right?

And if you try to run? You run 10-20 meters and they grab you or stab you from behind… Nice. So you cant even run from an unfair fight, unless you can manage to glitch them or get them stuck on something and run… Maybe even a fight you didn’t mean to get into. Maybe you didn’t save, deep in a quest, now you just died unexpectedly and put your progress back a considerable amount. Hmm… It didn’t happen to me but I’m imagining how salty I would be if it did. I was wearing decent armor, had a nice ‘Pricker’ sword… They cut me down like I was a cardboard cutout of David Hasselhoff with no arms and legs. It was pitiful.

After another try I was able to defeat 3 of the bandits, all the while dodging and avoiding this skilled bandit with an axe, who I could virtually not even hit, he just blocked everything and punished me. I had to try and stretch their numbers out and fight them one by one, but they inevitably surrounded me in the river, ( which is exceptionally hard to get out of when people are attacking you… ) I was fighting the axeman, was getting some decent hits on him, and then another two bandits come out from the camp and swarm me, I die again. Now I’m here typing.

Now you’re probably saying, “Hey Dutch, get good.” But look, I’m going to continue to play the game because I love it. I enjoy a challenge, I just think the prospect of bandit camps and cuman camps filled with highly skilled enemies will be a -bloody nightmare- for more casual players who are looking to move more easily through the game, but still want to have fun and clear the camps. This game certainly portraits that there are going to be large scale battles, but after seeing what happens in a bandit camp, the prospect is absolutely terrifying! I’m going to be running from 5-6 soldiers in one of those battles because I can’t fight 5 people at once? This isn’t a big problem for me, but I imagine it would be for others and might give them second thoughts. I just wanted to bring my thoughts on that to light.

I also want to note that fighting one on one with another NPC is completely fine, it feels like a real duel having many different areas of attack. I just feel completely useless as a combatant when I’m facing uneven odds. Virtually any offensive move your going to try and pull just gets blocked and punished. The Cumans I could accept easier, but bandits being so skilled as to insta-block everything… is really annoying. Now there may be more perks in the game I didn’t notice that will give you larger areas of attack, or better potions or something. I’m not fully through the game yet so I don’t know if something like that exists, which brings me into my last point.

Clearing camps and large amounts of enemies would be a bit easier if you had some help… right? Why can’t you grab some friend of Henry’s or some Mercenary with an eye patch and buck-teeth to help you complete the bounty? It would add a little more to the side-quest portion of the game. Now who you would conscript to help you and how to script the characters into being some form of ‘meet me here companions’ is another thing entirely. A guard in service to Radzig? Just a thought.

If you read this, I salute you.

------------------------------------------ EDIT EDIT EDIT ---------------------------------------------------

It’s been over a week now and my journey as Henry has culminated into something great. This topic was written by me when I was a scrub Henry. For feedback purposes I want what I said to still remain as a ‘first impression’ of what multi-fighting feels like. I have come far enough in the game now to see and understand what I needed to to succeed. I started off trying to fight bandit camps and it felt like I was Gumby with a wet noodle for a weapon. Now I can actually take on camps, I’m about 5 camps into the Cuman camps now. I’ll post a link to my video shortly which will explain things somewhat. Thanks!

-------------->>>>> https://youtu.be/6qyk32siIHM And here’s the video! — SPOILER WARNING! —

3 Likes

I didn’t read it all…but I have 9.5 hours of experience and Henry is not nearly trained enough to take on more than 2 enimies at once yet let alone 5! Keep training and be wiser in the battles you choose.

Bow and arrow. I initially wanted to opt out if it but it is proving extremely effective. Toss a few arrows their way a bit out of the camp, they will aggro onto you and you can line up some pretty easy shots to the face ect.

2 Likes

I understand Henry gets more skilled, but will parrying and counter-attacking make me able to kill 5 people at once? lol if not then how do you do it? Shoot them with bows from range?

Ah, bows you say! I will try this.

You need to train as Henry as yourself too. The game is trying to make you progressing over it too. You need to think, you need to be focused and work. After training for a few hours on arena i got my skills on max with all weapons. No one stood a chance against me in Prybislavice even Runt. He died from one blow. Just train and think about the game. This’s firstly the game to think, not to fight. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Expecting Henry to ever take on 5 armed opponents on a consistant basis is a bit too much for this game I suspect.

But it happens. The game asks you to clear camps.

I’ll try spending more time in arena, see if the increase in skill will answer my blight

That’s good idea, but there are assaults (mainly during the fast travel) you can’t avoid … And you can’t run away - Henry is not running faster than 5 cubans in full armor … And trying to get on horse is problematic as they get you down (in 80% of encounters).

1 Like

That don’t sound fun.

I swear, if you will focus and train hard on arena for hours, you’ll be not beatable. I’ve helped many people with that. I guess, i’m the first in the game after release, that reached the best level of swordfight through arena. Just train and everything is gonna be fine. You’ll also train a bit reaction, reflexes and focusing. :grinning:

1 Like

Just like in RL :wink:

2 Likes

I agree, that fighting (and all skills) gets better with higher levels, I am only saying sometimes the encounters are not avoidable and problem is the death penalty after hour of quest without save …

1 Like

Oh I’m going to keep trying. I wont stop until I can defeat any of all enemies in front of me. 5 or 6 even. Thats just how I do it.

@SmiX I agree, running is abit too difficult if only trying to save your quest progress.

If you sneak in the camp you can poison the food and maybe some wine.
Or sneak behind someone on watch and knock him out.
And if you have a horse you can use the advantage of speed.
Also at night it isn’t uncommon that some of the bandits or cumans put of their clothes and weapons when they went to sleep. So no armour protection for this guys if you can beat them before they put on their stuff again.

Poison the wine, eh? You clever devil.

---- Ohhhhhh okay, they take off armor when they sleep. Awesome

The simple answer is that the game mechanics are not at all designed to handle more than 1on1 fights. Putting Xv1 in the game is bad design, when their fighting mechanics do not support this situation. It’s fine that it’s hard. But it’s not fine that the game mechanics suck in terms of handling it.

They should have looked at a game like Mordhau and asked those guys to to the fighting system.

Or, if you’re good enough, you can come there and kill them all get skills points also complete the quest with ease by poisoning and burning quivers. :smirk:

2 Likes

Yeah at the Quest.
@Dutch asked who to deal with those little camps in the country side.