Cumans' armament

Thank you, but no. This is a complex question and there is no easy answer to this one. We don´t have “the Cuman book” as a source. If we just put some references here, you would not be satisfied about it, as we could have done more research. So we had to make a broad overview about our references, and this takes a lot of time. This is a bit much, we also have to work on a game.

Yes, but the cumans in Kingdom Come: Deliverance weren´t nomads anymore.

Vicious circle.
They are not nomads but for the game it is necessary that they have the clothes and arms of the nomads.
You use the weapons and armor of the warriors of the Golden Horde - why not take the next step in this direction. Clothe and equip Kumans as the warriors of the Golden Horde.

Some words about this thing:

How it was made: designers took a central round plate, used to reinforce early mail-and-plate armors:

(Picture 2)
Added two more plates.
Added leaf-formed shoulders:

Tied it all with belts and here it is.
I’d make a large plate as a part of plate-and-mail armor model and make leaf-formed shoulders as a separate piece of equipment.

But the devs did provide other people with references when they asked for them, why cant you do it now? I would be happy to receive them in any form.

@DrFusselpulli

Of course, no answer…

it 's saturday, no one works on saturday…

2 Likes

I wonder how you do you enjoy being abused in your free time? :smiley:

1 Like

Ah my bad yes, I almost forgot it’s the weekend lol.

I am not in the office right now, I will try to talk to our historian about some scources this week, but I can´t promise anything yet. I will be on vacation next week, without any internet connection.

2 Likes

Have a good vacation! :wink: We will wait for a new information with impatience. :smile:

2 Likes

Alright, thank you. Have fun in your vacation. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If I got you right, you’re a craftsman yourself. If it is so, then it is strange you don’t understand that this is the quality of steel that makes armour or a weapon cheap or expensive, not the decorations. And until very recently it was utterly difficult to produce steel of decent quality, thus not everybody could afford it.

1 Like

Certainly not - quality of steel makes your armour better or worse. But low quality steel decorated with lots of gold, engravings etc. will make expensive armour just because the gold and craft IS expensive, no matter how bad steel is underneath. You can very easily have bad armour that is very expensive.

In medieval times, decorations and good steel went often together, because those who could afford decorations were also warriors that wanted good armour and could recognize bad ones. Their life depended on it. But there is no rule in there, and even then they could make very expensive and very bad armour.

This is not “certainly not”, because what you’re saying is true, but it doesn’t contradict my point. What I mean is that putting the gold and the decorations aside, the quality of material is what makes the armour cheap or expensive (by the way, this is true even nowadays). I think you agree that the combination of cheap bad armour with expensive decoration is possible, but unlikely to be anything other than a decoration itself or a ceremonial item. On the other hand, if you can afford putting an expensive decoration on your armour and you are going to battle in it, you can afford making it good, otherwise it would be silly. But removing the gold from such an item, while will make it cheaper, won’t necessarily make it affordable or, more so, mass among ordinary soldiers. Moreover, if you need a good piece of armour, but you can afford either good material or expensive decorations, but not both, I think you’d prefer the first option.

Ok, I aggree. It’s just it may be decorations what makes armour expensive, because decorations are expensive

I strongly have to disagree. Even munitions grade armour in Innsbruck was made of hardened steel, the same stuff which was used for high end suits. The Landshuter armourers order instructs that only full steel is being used for the making of armour. The Nürnberger also allowed a mixture of steel and iron in relation 1:1. Vienna only allowed full steel.
Looking at Allan Williams book The Knight and the Blast Furnace one notices that the materials used are quite similar. 0.1% more or less carbon doesn’t make a difference as armour generally wasn’t as hard as the edge of a sword blade for example, but a lot “softer”. Arguing that “back then” they weren’t able to create steel on purpose is also completely wrong. The reason for this disbelief comes from authors who haven’t mastered the bloomery process. Their works got copied quite often and therefore their opinions spread. However in professional circles the bloomery process is being understood more and more. Revealing that “back then” they exactly knew what they were doing / have to do, to obtain iron/steel/maximum output and so on.

the quality of material is what makes the armour cheap or expensive (by the way, this is true even nowadays).

What? Nowadays? Did you ever buy decent armour? The only thing that makes armour expensive today is the mere amount of hours it takes to make a good piece.
You get a kg of mild steel for 0,40€ here in Germany, for low carbon steel like C45 (or 1050) you pay around 1€, for sheet maybe 3€. Your armour weighs 25kg. 25 x 3€ = 75€. Adding the loss by cutting you can sum it up to 100€. That 's what the material for you armour costs today.

The material may be, but not the ready piece of armour. Cause the armour is not just a bunch of steel sheets, a steel ingot or a sheet requires work to be done on it to become armour, and it is work what costs. A suit of armour for 100 euro is such a crap that I wouldn’t bother getting one even for primary training.

btw, there where “Stahlhämmer” (steel hammers), all over europe in the late middle ages. These were workshops specialized on the making of steel. They got blooms, or iron and turned it into steel. They did nothing else.
And the “Harnischblechhämmer” (armour - sheet - hammers) were workshops were plates for the production of armour was made. They did nothing else and knew exactly what to do. Just as an example one of these workshops in Upper Palatine produced in his prime time 188 “Buschen” in one year. (1 Buschen = 10 plates). 188 Buschen weigh 258,5 Amberger centner, which are 15768,5kg, so 15 tons of sheet, for armour production. ONE hammer, in one year. (In average this particular hammer produced around 100 Buschen per year)

dude, that 's exactly what I just wrote…

Then what do you disagree with? :slight_smile: That was my point from the beginning.