Dead Man's Ten (realism of deadly injury)

Dead Man’s Ten seconds is a Wild West phrase that refers to the fact that even after receiving deadly injury by a firearm or knife (such as stab wound to heard), a person is usually able to keep on fighting (/shooting) for at least 10 more seconds before eventually collapsing and dying.

The FBI manual on shooting clearly states that the only way to immediately stop a threat is shooting it into the area of the central nervous system at the level of neck or higher. Most self-defense manuals make it clear that you need to expect 10 - 120 seconds of enduring attack even after delivering a deadly injury, before the threat expires.

The Dead Man’s Ten is something that most games don’t implement. Considering the emphasis on realism, I would like to ask whether this is something KCD will include. Both on the side of the player as well as NPCs.

@Hellboy, @TobiTobsen

11 Likes

Basically adrenaline, during medieval times it happened too, but with sword wounds, bleeding out, you dont feel the cut or pierce because you have so much adrenaline pumping through your body.

1 Like

Intresting point. Will keep that in mind! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Keep that in mind especially if run to any trouble on the street (however unlikely that may be).

Considering that you moved to the Czech Republic - have you thought about getting a concealed carry license? I mean if you move from Germany, you should enjoy the freedom!

Hi!

I actually have proof on this, but happening a few years ago.

Our Preceptor (Commander of Group) was at Tewksbury 15th C. Battle when Health and Safety hadn’t stepped in as much as it did; allowing pointed swords to be fielded by combatants.

When their block engaged into combat, he came up against a fully plated Knight, while he only donned a Breastplate, bevor and Sallet (Not to mention Padding), The knight was clearly new and fielded with a pointed sword, they had a quick melee before the Knight thrusts into our Preceptors right leg (Thigh), My Preceptor didn’t even notice as he was focused on fighting this knight; at the look of shock from the knight as he was stunned by what had happened, my Preceptor quickly delivered a shoulder blow to the knight, knocking him off his feet, and so my Preceptor carried on, for one hour of fighting not even noticing he’d been stabbed. He only noticed after the fight when we had got off field, commenting that he felt more fatigued than usual when a sergeant pointed out there was a red patch on his hose.

It turned out that the sword had completely pierced the right hand side of his right thigh (Went all the way through his right thigh Muscle, missing bone, artery and tendon luckily).

The Things that Adrenaline can do is amazing.
Regards,
Warrior Rose.

5 Likes

It still depends on where you hit em though. A guy whose arm is chopped off will probably go into shock sooner than ten seconds.

2 Likes

[quote=“snejdarek, post:1, topic:21771”]
a Wild West phrase that refers to the fact that even after receiving deadly injury by a firearm or knife (such as stab wound to heard)[/quote]

You see what I mean?
(10 chars)

If you think unconscious people can put up a great fight perhaps :smile:

But yes I suppose afterblows have to be taken into consideration just like in HEMA competitions.

What I meant is that chopping an entire arm is quite unprobable in 1403 Bohemia, not to mention Wild West setting. Even so, I suppose that the Hollywood WW2 movies depicting disoriented soldiers walking around with their torn of limb in hand have a grain of truth in them.

1 Like

Absolutely necessary, it drives me nuts when characters in games keep running like nothing happened even after receiving several shots\sword blows, and then on the very moment of the finishing hit (the one that drained the HP points…) the characters soul leaves the body and they fall lifelessly.

14 Likes

This is why targets such as the back of the knee or the tendons under the wrist were so popular. Cut these, and you either collapse the leg or render the hand unusable. You’re not going to be fighting if the tendons operating your leg are severed.

3 Likes

If this is added it should be random cause that isn’t happening every time you but sword/bullet on someones heart.