Henry's rise

Anyone wondering how Henry, the son of a blacksmith can rise all the way to stand next to some important lords?
I am just trying to speculate about the game’s story instead of speculating about it’s delay, there is nothing we can do so let’s move on.

In the trailer Henry starts as a peasant/serf(?) but ends up in full plate armor next to other knights and lords. Now I doubt this was very common and obviously it’s because this is a game and we need some progression in the story, game play and character. But I am just curious how something like this would play out or how you think it will play out in the game?

Also, there are some beautiful armors and shield design in this game.

1 Like

I believe Henry is more of a freeman.

Social immobility was typical for Middle Ages - it means, that all people were divided into three estates:
1 The ones who fight - nobility
2 The ones who pray - clergy
3 The ones who work - everyone else.
And moving between estates was very hard. Belonging to estate was inherited.
So, the one of third estate (like our Jindrich) could serve some lord and eventually get promoted to ministeriales and continue serving as a light horseman. Later, after years of service ministeriales could receive some land, becoming a knight.
Basically, story of Jindrich is impossible.

It was aliens.

1 Like

Good point, but then again, 100% historical accuracy is impossible unless we show the story of a real person and you can only do what the real person did- no choices, just review their life.

Kingdom Come:Drudgery Simulator is not a game I’d play. There must be some degree of playability that strict adherence to history cannot apply to.

1 Like

he’s the lord’s favorite. gay romance option confirmed

3 Likes

Yes, he would have been a freemen… he knows a specific trade…

Well, Henry will not become knight or aristocrat, will he? He just does errands for his lords, at least this his how he presented himself in beta (“I am envoy of sir Radzig …”). Thats OK for me. He becomes important for lords rather unvoluntarily, because of being survivor of enemy raid and can give information. Then he proves useful for them, so he gets more important tasks to do, but I don’t see that someone makes nobility from him. Well, he becomes part of the army and is not blacksmithing anymore, but there is nothing bad about that. Times were turbulent and many people went like this.

1 Like

I agree with your points, but not many people were able to afford a full set of plate armor. Like we see in the trailer. Or get to spend their time with lords and knights as much.

Then again it is plausible that Henry will rise in status atleast a bit. Because he will also be protecting the Son of a lord (or was it somesoet of prince?). I guess his lord values Henry’s service alot for this all to happen.

1 Like

Who is this son of the lord?

Yes, but we all know how Henry gets his armor. Kill 10 cumans, rob them of everything (including armor), sell it, and you have enough money. He does not own land and gather taxes, he just gets enough battle loot. That’s OK for every commoner.

In the trailer he is the guy with Henry’s old (2nd) haircut and the golden shirt. Riding and talking about saving the king. Lord Capon? I believe.

2 Likes

Until the 30 years war and ensuing Catholic Habsburg German occupation, vast majority of people in the Czech Lands were free folk. Most commonly small farm owners.

Without going into details in general, the game does not take place under “normal circumstances” but during a time of civil war which was even worse due to the Cuman Hordes (i.e. general war customs between European Christian nations of not killing nobles or women and children did not apply).

When it comes to the type of armour and weaponry Henry has, that would all be up to what kind of money he could have put together.

As regards his placement next to a noble:

2 Likes

No. I am sure that he is Jan of Mikulov - the one who lead the party of Bohemian knights to save Vaclav IV.

Well I’m not knowledgable about Czeckia, but I do know that it was possible to rise up in rank in medieval England in time of war. Troops where semi professional and compaies of Archers and men at arms where raised by private individuals, usualy men that had made money from plunder in the last campaign or members of the nobility. They would then contract to serve a lord or the king for a fixed length of time, which could be extended at a latter date. these private individuals could gain very high respect and influence if successful. The commoners that led such units very often ended up as knights retiring to rich land holdings that the bought from their prize/plunder money earned in war. so it was very possible to at least get onto the first step on the ladder to nobility on merit alone and if there was an influential patron things could go further.

1 Like

Love that picture

Well, killing nobles was not forbidden in Medieval Europe. You can find plenty of examples of of this. Also raids that killed civilians were also very common during war, especially since armies mostly survived due to foraging and pillaging.

Nobles were much more likely to be ransomed than executed if captured, but targeting them on the battlefield was not uncommon or forbidden, in fact mounted knights were often prime targets for archers.

You cannot “forbid” such things :slight_smile: But it was not usual and it was regarded as especially bad thing. Usual (and much more lucrative) was to take noble as prisoner and demand ransom. This was very common. But few decades after Henry the Hussites will start practice of killing everyone. Because they themselves were not nobility a did not expect “nobly” behaviour from enemies.

Source? This seems to be a thing drawn from the times of Napoleonic line infantry tactics when killing officers was frowned upon. I could give you many examples of nobles being killed or battle, or commoners attempting to kill them.

If commoners did shy away from fighting nobles, i would guess it having more to do with the nice armour and highly trained body guards near said noble, rather than it being frowned upon.

Battle of Crecy: English archers shot a lot of nobles…

1 Like

I swear that first thing that came to my mind reading @SirWarriant reply was “I wonder who will first mention battle of Crecy or Agincourt”

2 Likes