Here is an actor who will play the main protagonist Henry. Can someone recognize him?

Spoiler:

A cutsceen from the game.

Check at 50:30
First you see the acting for the sceen. After this you see different versions of the sceen in “ingame” graphic.

1 Like

Are they sitting in a washing barrel…?

Spoiler:

Of course…! :smile:

And a special version (with armor): :blush:

2 Likes

Imagine how filthy the water was after a bath… I mean they didnt have regular washing habits, they did, but the issue is regular meant “Once every few weeks” back than. Unless you were wealthy,ofcourse

Apparently, that’s one of the common misconceptions WH found when doing research. They may not have washed every single day, but they did wash more than once a week.

Not if they were poor people living in a village. Most of them didnt even own a washing barrel, ofcourse we cant know for sure how much did villagers really wash due to a very small amount of archive documents, but its for sure that they couldnt mantain regular higenic habits.
Source: Annales d’histoire économique et sociale, Georges Duby, “Mantaining of health in medieval europe”

They do have access to a river or lake though :I

You don’t exaclty need a bucket.

1 Like

Still they wouldnt do it regulary., especially in volder periods…

There’s one in talmberg :-x so we can consider at least talmberg to be clean :grinning:

1 Like

not washing for some time (2-3 weeks)

It kind of seems that Middle-ages Hungary must have been a lot worse than the Czech Lands during the lowest point of the 30 year war.

This “not washing” nonsense is really starting to tilt me…
Why the fuck would anybody think that people would not clean themselves every time they could? Only rich would be bathing, because poor could not afford to? What is this nonsense, most settlements are based around some natural source of water, mostly rivers and small water streams, and everybody could just go there and wash themselves after day at work. Or do you think that people didn´t have any smell back in those days?
And even villages further away from water sources still had to have some barrels and stuff for catching rainwater, and that can be used for cleaning aswell (not bathing, but just regular cleaning of yourself).

Yes people was magic back then and smelled like candy!

Im not from Hungary lol im from Dubrovnik, it was fairly reneissance in 15th century

Its based on historical facts, mostly found by french aanalyst historians.
Also check:Le Goff, Medieval society of western Europe;Oxford history of medieval Europe,ed:George Holmes

I really hope that actor is reading this thread, I guess he would learn plenty of new stuff about himself and his face :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Why would the food be worse than dog food? They ate fresh produce.

1 Like

Well, it’s hard to say. If everything was ok, their meals were not bad, even common people ate quite well. Maybe even better than we do, if you consider that everything was organic, bio etc. There was less diversity in food, but not that big if you consider how much food was imported (spices, almonds etc.).

The problem was that the famine could start quite easily. There could be war, or just bad weather, and the situation drastically changed in few years. And then you could find people eating really anything - spoiled meat and flour, bread baked partially from hay etc.

Your ancestors must have died in their thousands :frowning:

Does anyone know how much meat medieval peasants ate?

Does anyone know how much meat medieval peasants ate?

I would imagine very little considering 9/10 of everything goes up to knight, Lord, Duke, King and Church and that poaching would end in death cause I doubt they’d be able to pay the fine for it, but at the same time they had pigs, eels, cows, chickens, bird, rats/mice if they’re particularity hungry. They might have ate lots of meat, they might not have. I can’t give you a real answer but alas just speculation from my learning.