Homosexuality In The Game/Time Period

Can you produce these letters?

It would involve alot of hassle.

The granddad of my lady worked for the church archives of that town all his life, gathering a lot of knowledge in his time, and even releasing a small, local brochure about medieval life according to sources in that town, and there are quite many sources. Now it’s a local example, so I wouldn’t extend it to “That’s how medieval life was in general”, and while he was well educated, he never studied history - it was more of a lifelong community / hobby project of his.

That’s how I got my hands on them in the first place, as we shared that interest and hobby. He was a very kind man.

Sadly, he passed away two years ago, and the documents have since been moved from the house of my lady’s family, back to the church archives.

I hope you understand that I don’t feel like bothering the church just to prove something on the internet. It also a 1/2 hour drive, and I’m really busy working during the week. :stuck_out_tongue:

I may get around to ask next time we visit her family, but I very well might have forgotten about it by then.

Well if you could acquire them it does sound like some interesting reading. Though you’re right the scenario does seem anecdotal.

Which village in Germany was that in. It would be pretty easy to contact said church and request copies of the transcripts from the archives.

I don’t feel like pointing that out to you, sorry. :expressionless:

I’ve already shared too much information on how I got my hands on these, and naming the town would make it easy for any stalkers to find out who the granddad was, and where his remaining family lives. It would be disrespectful towards the privacy of my lady and her family to allow that.

We are talking about centuries old parchment that needs to be treated carefully, kept in a perfect enviroment for the material (Not too much humidity, etc.) and handled with gloves. You don’t just put documents like that in the bloody scanner to make copies. :stuck_out_tongue:

Besides, it’s written in Mittelhochdeutsch, and would not be of any use to you unless I translate it. If you’re all that interested, I will contact the church to see if I can review the documents again, and take photos (Without using flash, obviously).

I appreciate the effort you’re willing to go through to satisfy curiosity here.

Sounds good. Cliff Racer fly so high!

I think there might be enough people around here who would understand that language just well enough to prove your argument. Nevertheless I agree with you on the fact that orgies happened at that era but they do so in every stage of mankind. What I doubt though is the authenticity of the letter you claim to have read. It’s just all too convenient. And furthermore your excuse not to produce this letter is rather vague. Nobody can connect your family to anything. Just name the church and the town and we can see the proof.

It’s just as convenient for you to make such accusations, isn’t it?
You seem to like convenience in general.

How about I tell you I don’t give a rats arse about if you doubt me, and will produce the proof / document at my leisure (Which might be 1 - 2 weeks, I’m a working man), because I’m the one who is -actually- going to do something out there in the real world just to prove my point. :neutral_face:

Calm down, guys, please

The amount of hostility you get all over this forum surprises me at times.

Indeed, I would hope people would understand that through text we humans can understand very little when compared to a face-to-face discussion.

With that in mind, always take the person’s text with an amount of
how should I say this
insincerity, because one may not understand the tone of voice behind another’s message.

In essence, don’t take it too seriously.

1 Like

I disagree if someone uses the right words then can still sucessfully put across the meaning of a written message/thought equally well. Just as if they had spoken it instead of writting it.

If people are mistake the meaning behind what we have written then we need to look at our writting skills and use of vocabulary.

Sure, people can understand the meaning by using the writers word choice, as we know that is how dialogue in books are understood, along with other descriptive clues from the author. I agree with you on that.

But if I were to say;

Your hair looks silly!

How would you know if I was angry? Or happy? Or serious? Or teasing?

This is what I’m trying to get people to understand, to take messages with a hint of doubt.

1 Like

Oh, this might not be the best thread for example. You do get it all over the place though, looking around.

But I’m taking this off-topic. :stuck_out_tongue:

True.

I’d not care about the emotions behind it lol.
My hypothetical reply to that hypothetical stament would be

“You’re just jelouse because you can’t carry a Mohawk off.”

1 Like

To be frank, homosexuality may have been lauded and supported before Christianity in most forward ancient cultures (bar Judaism, of course), but once Christianity did come along, and then rose in popularity and power, it was the case that you would have to hide your true self from society, and perhaps marry to blend in, or remain a lifelong bachelor.
If you weren’t careful, or you were somehow outed (after one of your few or many daring love trysts, due to the covert nature of your sexuality at this time), you could almost certainly expect persecution from the more pious of your peers, and from the common rumour-mongers and the local church community, let alone legal retribution from the courts of the period.

These were scary, dangerous times to be a homosexual. Because it was seen as morally wrong. I don’t imagine many homosexuals would be well known among their locals, let alone their own families. Perhaps we might see a single case of medieval opinions and persecutions of homosexual(s) as a quest-line. Perhaps it could even be a quest to disparage rumours about a certain person, in return for a good sum of money. I don’t know. I think that could be a fun quest.

1 Like

Alot of the Arguments on here against Homosexuality remind me of the complete nonsense I saw in ARMA3 when Female soldiers were discussed.

As someone who has served in the military for over a decade in various conflict zones, with Women, men, transgender (yes there are transgender people in the UK Military), black, white, other, hetero, homo, Bi, Muslim, Christian, atheist etc. You know what? It didn’t make a damn difference. Professionalism was all that counted, the ability to depend on the people around regardless of race, colour, creed, sex or sexual orientation. You wouldn’t refuse to treat a comrade who had been shot because he is gay, or black or any other reason.

The game is about realism, Homosexuality is part of the human condition, include it, it makes for interesting plot diversity because much of this would kept under wraps by the nobility, clergy or whatever.

So if people want to re-engineer the Real World, to fit their own “Head in the Sand” approach to life and remove things they don’t agree with despite not having any knowledge or experience of any of these issues. Well frankly, I’d sooner those people took their intolerant rantings elsewhere, preaching utter bollocks and pseudo-facts.

SPOILER ALERT - Realism Game - Features Realism
WARNING Immature people may be prone to ineffectual, indignant, irrational rage that Life isn’t as they want it to be

3 Likes

@mwnciboo

This. Why do realism, if it isn’t a realistic approach to every RL issue concerning this period. It would just be Skyrim or whatever set in Bavaria.

Bavarim.

@MWNCIBOO
Maybe thats something unique in the UK. But there are still alot of gender issues in our military. And honestly I doubt there are none in the UK military. Afaik there is something called combat effectiveness and in alot of cases that is an excuse or whatever you wanna call it, not to accept women in a certain regiment. And I have my doubts that the US military is as open about homosexuals as u describe the UK military to be. (I have my doubts there as well, but I’m not from the UK so i have no proof.)
In my line of work you won’t get a job if you have a visual piercing as a man or a tattoo. There are no gender issues ofc. because you could sue. But unfortunately you just didn’t qualify because the male applicant was just a tiny bit better in the job interview (as always). That’s because they can’t tell you they didn’t take you because you are a women, gay, pierced or whatsoever. Don’t flatter yourself there are gender issues everywhere.
Maybe you are one of the supporters there should be females displayed in the DDAY-Landing in the Tom Hanks movie. Equal rights and such.
I don’t approve of the handling of the issue, but thats what it is.
And to display a free homosexuality in a medieval game is not what you call realism. As a matter of fact you’d ignore a lot of facts just to please a certain community. It’s easier to just let it go and to ignore the issue. And dont tell me about realism. Because you can’t implement all things just to make a game more realistic. Otherwise you’d have to implement things like rape, cancer, disease, illness, bestiality, going to the toilet, pooping in public places, having sex, mawing the garden, scrubbing the windows, jerking off, harassment of jews and other minorities, all kinds of sexual fetishes, ripping cloth, torture, ripping off limbs, cutting off fingers, cannibalism, and many more stuff i don’t even wanna mention.

I hope the developers are not implementing homosexuality, coz in my opinion that would be a waste of ressources for little or less gain.