How are you handling Localization?

Hello there.

I hope I chose the correct category.
Anyways, I just took place in the localization project of the upcoming Kickstarter game “Wasteland 2”. They asked the community to translate the english scripts and strings into other languages (there it was german, italian, spanish and french).

After having quite some fun translating that I was wondering how you guys from KCD are going to make it. At this point I have to admit that I’m not even totally sure if you are “only” going to translate the written language or if it also is the spoken language (since this would also mean some proper speakers for other languages). I assume you are going for english as “default language”.

So, are you going to hire professional translators or is there a chance that you try something similar as inXile with Wasteland 2? I would be proud to be part of the development of the games of yours. (And btw. I’m looking for a new job from 02/2015 on :P)

An yes, I am aware of the disadvantages of this method of translating. But better ask, than die stupid :wink:

3 Likes

Although I understand, that it’s too early to talk about it, I have to say, that lots of gamers here in Russia are counting on russian translation of KCD. Subs would be ok, but can real voicing be done? I suppose it depends on amount of money you gain from Russian gamers during development phase, right? Iguess it would be great if we could see the specific price of audio translation to russian and pledge for it via this website like we do on KS for example. Is that affordable? If yes, I have to warn you, that russian companies, that do localisation of games, have very small cast of trusted actors, who have bored us gamers already. So make sure, that russian actors, who voice the game, are both talented and fresh, unknown.

7 Likes

I would say more or less the same for german localization. But the bigger problem I see is mostly a bad voice acting. This might also be because most voice actors need to speak without seeing the scene or knowing what this is about, what they are saying there.

Anyway, I would appreciate a statement from the WH team or Tobi :slight_smile:

Unfortunately we can’t tell you anything new. At kickstarer we said:

We’re creating the game in English and with English voiceovers. We would like to make French, Italian, German and Spanish versions of the game as well. Our past experience also suggests there will be a Polish, Russian and Czech version of the game, not necessarily with voiceovers, though.
The other languages are matter of contracts with local distributors. We are not going to create the localizations ourselves and we do not know at this moment of time what are they going to be.

And as written above, everything depends on the contracts with the local distributors, but don’t worry. We are trying to create the best possible. That also includes a focus on localizations and professional voice acting. It is just too early now.

2 Likes