I seriously can't kill anything in this game

I know what you mean, had the same problem.
The curve for Henry in fighting is exponential. The beginning is extreme hard and takes all the fun out of fighting, but after a while it becomes easy rapitly.

Some tips:

• avoid that Bernard guy outside Rattay. He beats you up so bad, it takes away your motivation. That guy is not representative for fighting all other people.
  • learn how to read straight away and buy all skill books you come across. This is easy leveling up.
  • when possible, buy training from people (so don’t actualy do the fighting).
  • find some lonely thieves to train your swordfighting on and animals for bow.
  • make sure you have good armor and weapons.

This should get you going. At a certain point you will notice it becomes easy to kill others and hard for others to kill you, not based on your skills as player but based on stats in the game.

Of course, you can spend hours trying to learn all the combo’s and crap with that barbaric trainer, but to me this was stupid (on pc and the mouse is way to fast to choose the right point in that small wheel during fihgting).

Still, agree that a difficulty setting never hurts a game; those who want it can adjust, those who don’t want it don’t use it.

Game wasnt intended to be easy gotta know when to fight when to get the hell outa dodge lol

1 Like

Im on xbox and its not terrible. It was kind of hard until I worked with Bernard for an in game day or two, now my henry is untouchable. I literally 1 hit bandits and if theyre armored maybe a couple of hits. Between my skills, my mace and my perks I’ve taken I murder groups of like 4-6 bandits vs me in seconds, no problem.

i only riposte on accident or when I’m training, it hardly ever works in actual big battles. I just block when I can and if I happen to riposte so be it, I literally never dodge. I have good armor, a shield and mace and I block what I can and when I finally hit them they go down for a mercy kill after just a couple of connects

So I’ve read maybe 1/3 of the answers so maybe I’ll repeat something already said but this is a bit too long for me to read everything :stuck_out_tongue:
First I’m not a casual gamer but I hate anything that has to do with hand/eye coordination and reflexes. I love old style RPG where your character stats and some RNG determine his abilities and not at all your own ability to time a hit etc, but I wanted to try this game anyway for all aspects outside of combat.
So I had the same issues than you with combat, because my henry might learn stuff but I’m still bad at fighting, I don’t have good reflexes and I tend to just freeze.

Anyway here are my 2 cents :

You cannot find the captain if he’s still in the stud farm and he won’t leave until you finish Ginger in a Pickle.
Good news is you can absolutely finish that quest without any fighting either with speech (I knew I wanted to avoid fighting as much as possible so I went high speech from the start) or just asking for help.
The game is done well enough that it knows you might be unable to fight your way out of a paper bag at that point if you went straight for the main quest before exploring a bit because you have no combat skills, low stats and no gear. So it made up for it by allowing you to go for help. Won’t say more to avoid spoiling everything in detail.
So you can complete the quest Ginger in a Pickle without fighting, or if you want to kill some bandits yourself well, they sleep at night, depending on your stealth skill and if you know how to assassinate someone (Perk) then you might go that route.

But after that’s done and until you get a decent level at your weapon of choice + decent stats + decent gear well forget fighting, just run from combat when you can , use stealth, diplomacy, bribes etc.
It’s not because you got a quest now that you have to or can tackle it just then, sometimes you have to come back ingame weeks later because you need preparations and training first.

I would say that with an, ok sword, a bit of protection (light armor) and somewhat around 5/7 in combat skills and maybe 5 to 10 in stats if you’ve unlocked perfect block and master strike with the captain you should be able to handle light armored foes 1 on 1 without too much trouble. Except if they’re soldiers of any kind, but bandits and the like should be at your level. If you find a group, run and try to ahve one of them follow you, kille that one and go kite another.

When you train with Bernard don’t get discouraged when he kicks your but he’s way too strong that’s normal he’s an elite fighter, he’s way above most of what you’ll be fighting out there so don’t worry.
And also specially at first forget about landing blows, learn to defend.
With a high enough defense and learning to block at the right time to trigger some master strikes often enough you can defeat many enemies without a problem, just patience. Bernard is great at teaching you defense. I was barely 8 in sword when I reached 18 in defense it was my first maxed combat skill, the only other skill I maxed before was herbalism.
Defense can help you a lot in combat because if you time a block well you don’t take any damage, that’s master block. But if you manage to time it perfectly then you automatically will land a retaliation blow that does a lot of damage to your opponent, that’s perfect strike. It takes practice to be able to time right but ot’s the easiest way i’ve found to fight.

Archery can also help you a lot but same than with the rest until you’re level 5 forget using your bow against anything but rabbits, after lvl 5 with a decent str/agi a decent bow you can maybe hurt one or 2 enemies a bit to weaken them before a fight but you still won’t be killing anyone even with a head-shot on an unprotected character.
But once you reach 7 you begin to be able to kill people even one shoot them if they’re in clothes or you shoot an unprotected part, around 10 you kill evne light armored enemies and at higher levels with good gear you can badly hurt even armored enemies.

But it takes time, practice and good stats/skills/gear.

Hope this will help you or other out, it’s not easy but it’s doable, I’m crap at it and I managed.
I still can barely land a blow where I want it to land even though my Henry has 20 sword 17 warfare 20 str and 17 agility, so I suck pretty bad. But he’s geared well enough that it doesn’t matter, I use defense/master strike that is automatic and doesn’t require me to do more than time my block and I do well in combat. It cost me around 5 hours of real time practice with Bernard to learn to time block and i don’t manage 100% of the time but I have gear that keeps me safe for when I fail. I at least perfect block most of the time and depending on the skill level of my opponent I manage to land quite a few master strikes and that’s enough to kill them in the end.

Tough if I can snipe them with a bow or use stealth I’ll.

1 Like

Response to your tips:

-That Bernard guy is supposed to help you train, every time I’m in Rattay I go to him to train a bit and by now I can win fights against him (apart from the fist-fights, which are obviously easy even for beginners). If you take off your armour so you don’t have to repair it and then fight you also level a whole heap of skills super fast.

-Skill books are expensive and you can’t even read the second part (up to fourth or fifth) unless you’ve read the first, so it’s best to stock up on them and only read them when you have a whole series or when you’re near maximum of that stat. I also recommend stealing them instead of buying.

-Buying training gets expensive at higher levels, so it’s better to just gain experience by yourself, that also improves your own skill. (Except for things like lockpicking or pickpocketing because your own skill as a player won’t really improve much in those minigames.)

-Captain Bernard is ready to train you during the day and will never kill you, so no risk of death. For bow practice I use Cumans and I shoot them from horseback while riding around them, so they can’t catch up, but I guess animals could do (just that it’s illegal and you can’t sell your loot to random merchants).
-While training it’s best to NOT use good armour because you’d always need to go repair it.

1 Like

I’ve done a few play styles and combat was never difficult but then I despise button mashers. I love the way this works and how the NPCs fight. It gets probably too easy when you learn how to beat them. I am now a pacifist and have only killed Runt - not even a bunny and I’ve not trained with anyone except as required.

I haven’t really liked mace fighting and the shield seems too heavy. Wheb you hit someone with a mace, do you have to hit them over head to get a “bash”?

1 Like

Nope. Its just more effective against plate. But I run into bandits, and granted theyre just bandits, but theyre wearing cloth gambeson (a sword would make light work of these) and my mace, whether i “stab” or “slash” still takes them down in one hit. But the harder to beat guys in the game will be wearing plate or decent armor at least, so I’ll want a mace for them. I have the perk where I make people bleed easier/do more damage if theyre bleeding or whatever and I get it with my mace too. Idk if its bugged but my mace does 80ish blunt damage and like 6 or 7 slash/stab(ill get pics later) but it doesnt seem to matter. If i fight someone, bandit/guard/peasant one hit and theyre down usually; maaaaaybe two hits. Granted I have yet to be surrounded. In bandit camps I attack at night and run in and start bashing sleeping bandits, killing one or two before they wake up and then I just bash them or block then bash when they rush me. Big battles I let my guys take aggro and I flank with either arrow fire or my mace/shield working my way down their line while their attention is on who theyre already fighting.

What system are you playing on?

tl;dr

It doesnt seem to matter if i slash or stab to the body or the head. If I connect with my mace, they are gonna go down in no more than 2 hits for any bandit I’ve come across. Gonna take missions for Robbard and clearing out Cumans so perhaps the enemies will get more difficult, but I doubt it. Mace/shield is heavy, so its not for your flighty character. Best to be good at blocking, even if you cant get the riposte, and to be patient.

Learn the bow and cheese your enemies, or stealthily kill people, you will get better at killing.

Well ive been doing well with the sword. I kinda just like it better. I was learning mace fighting to counter plate, but without a shield it seemes harder to block. (that may just be my biased perception) .

It takes more hits to take down heavy armored enemies, but also makes it fun. I haven’t had too many instances where i rollover a bunch of enemies (like some people) and if sticking with a sword keeps it interesting im all in lol. I do one shot with a stab most light armored baddies.

I laughed thinking of you running into a sleeping bandit camp swinging wildly lol

1 Like

I feel like you need a shield for mace since youre slower. With the training ive done, armor im wearing, perks i have and the weapons I use its pretty easy right now…I’m probably going to shed some armor and grab a sword for a while. Or definitely next play through.

1 Like

Im running with stinger sword and the agility perk that reduces stamina cost for agility based weapons