I'm concerned the console versions won't get the love they deserve

What I mean is, I’m hoping this isn’t one of “those” cases where a pc game gets ported to consoles and it completely sucks. I’m so close to preordering this game, but it will be for the ps4, not pc and this was always my plan since I don’t have a gaming pc. But I’ve watched an interview where Tobi directly said it won’t look as pretty as the pc version and I read just now its only going to be 900p 30 fps, not a big deal, but still.

I’m just concerned since this is a kickstarter game and this is the first game I’m considering buying from this studio. I have no idea what to expect from them. The Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games ever and I absolutely loved the ps4 version; it felt natural. I’m hoping the same is true for this game but like I said, I’m concerned the console versions won’t get the attention as the pc version.

The witcher 3 sold best on consoles, like 70 to 30%, so I really think this studio is making a mistake if they shortchange the console versions in anyway. I’m not saying they’re doing that I’m just saying, this game is a complete wildcard to me on many different levels.

I would say the console version is getting every attention right now, given that they are hard at work to optimize for consoles. “Won’t look as good”, well i mean what do you expect? They are working within limits set by the people who make the consoles, would you have the PC version downgraded (even more) so they’d look the same?

Tobi says it works great with controller. First of all, if you are planning to play on less priced PS4 than an actual gaming PC, expect less quality. You get what you pay for.

2 Likes

I’m sure Warhorse wants this game to sell well on the consoles too. It would be a breeze of fresh air to the saturated gaming industry on consoles now. I’m like you, I can’t really afford/ willing to pay for a gaming PC right now, and I’m stuck with the PS4.

You have to remember though, no one knew what the Witcher series was until Witcher 2, and it didn’t gain fame until the 3rd one. CD Project Red and Warhorse isn’t really in the same boat. Warhorse is pretty new and they are a very small team. They have one thing similar though. They are passionate about their game(s). They want it to sell well. I’m sure they are going to make sure the console version is at least decent before they release it.

Besides, I heard from a couple that claimed they got to test the game out on youtube awhile back. Here is the video.

1 Like

obviously it isn’t going to look like pc, i just meant I don’t want this to be a crappy console port with a ton of bugs and glitches that never gets fixed, aka obsidian/bethesda games on the ps3.

what about map size? I searched in this forum and saw posts from 2014/15 where people were surprised at how small the map was compared to other games. Has it gotten bigger?

i don’t want just one small tiny area like white orchard from w3. I want to see like 5-10 towns with 2 of them or so being huge cities with gigantic castles in them. I did read there is canyons in this game so that is pleasing to hear.

I truly have no idea what to expect from this game.

Map has almost doubled in size compared to what it was going to be originally.

16km2? What was skyrims? That is very pleasing to hear if the map size is around that big. Also, for all the videos that ESO guy did covering kingdom come, it showed the map a few times. Was that map just the prologue area, aka the white orchard of this game? It didn’t look it had a “sprawling city” and dozens of villages and castles, so I’m hoping that was just the starting area map.

The map size is most directly comparable to Novigrad and Velen. It has two walled towns (one with a single, the other with two citadels), a walled monastery and estate, a half dozen villages, plus estates, farms, mills and stable complexes. One of these villages has a castle and several have churches.

The part of the map seen in the march 2016 beta was an irregular area around 1/6th of the map, located towards the upper middle of the map.

Comparisons to Skyrim are complicated by it’s irregular scaling of objects, landscape and character/movement. The nominal size of the ‘bounding’ box which includes the skyrim ‘map’ which is accessible was around 37 km^2, but a large part of that was outside the boundary, and the region inside is “by eye” around 19km^2, and after scaling and other issues taken into account smaller than that by some amount. But I’d still call Skyrim a little larger (probably), but not enough to matter much.

The type of map is different though, with ‘realistic’ size, proportion and spacing of the hamlets, mills, villages and towns, plus the citadels and castles. A village of 2.5 hectares is a village of 2.5 hectares, not the capital of a province.
The towns aren’t ‘sprawling’, but they are large and dense and it took a few hours when I walked around the 3 villages in the beta in order to tally the building types in each, and the larger settlements are noticeably more complex.

2 Likes

Well don’t expect the map from skyrim. With many cities. There are 2 walled cities (as mentioned above) and in between there are villages and other interesting locations.

And the console version not as good? Well the console version is always not as good as the pc version.

• Performance wise a pc can get alot more out of the game. Getting 30fps on 900p is pretty good, considering everything going on in the game. And the small studio making it. (EA or Activision have QA and optimizer departments the size of warhorse, so they can get alot more done in the same amount of time)
  • Controls wise the pc has a edge with mouse and keyboard, if you don’t like it then you can plug in a controller.
  • The content should be the same, no reason to think we get two different games.
  • bugs should also be present in the pc version, don’t like that? Wait with playing the game till 2-3 months later.

Also a console gamer complaining about a bad port? Never get a game pc and stick to consoles, you wont like what you find on the side of the ‘master race’. Bad Ports are usually the only thing we get with a multi platform release, sometimes no patch or fix for months if ever.

And the witcher did sell a bit better on consoles, about 5% more (two consoles, so 35% per console roughly) so this goes to show that pc gaming isn’t dead and still viable for proper support.