Inclusions, exclusions, and DLCs

I’m new to KC:D and am a little confused about what will ACTUALLY make the release of KC:D. Some of the videos reference things (mini-games and such) that supposedly won’t make it due to time/technical constraints. Does anyone have a complete list of these ‘extras’ and whether or not they will make it to gold?
I hope WH doesn’t release a heavily stripped down game and then continually try to make more and more money by releasing a dozen DLCs with extra content and mini-games that should have been in the initial release. It’s one thing for a DLC to have new functions/areas that were never discussed previously. It’s another thing entirely to showcase a game, get people to back it, and then release something less than what was showcased and asking for even more money to get the complete game.

I’m not angry or anything, just a little confused on what will actually be in the finished game.

The only missing content to be added in later that I know of is: (all in BOLD text is the add-ons)

- The Female Character and her questline

- The Dog companion. Both the Dog and Female will be released together as a DLC.

- The Blacksmithing mini-game due to it being far more complicated then they saw at first.

- Polearms and Crossbows were both taken out, but Polearms managed to squeeze itself in. Crossbows, while historically accurate, will probably not appear in the game at all.

- Horse combat was not going to make it into the game, but currently they have a stripped down version that isn’t close to what Dan Vavra wanted but it’s still getting put in, so we have very basic horse combat (read: cav versus foot, foot versus cav. No cav to cav combat)

- Tournament Mode. Now this I’m unsure of. I believe it was made as a solo versus computer in a tourney fighting by authentic medieval rules, but it might also be offline co-op, though I could be wrong as they said there would be no multiplayer for the first game. And there will never be online multiplayer like Chivalry or Mordhau.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info!

If the female questline is significantly different from the male questline that’ll be cool.
It would really be great if the blacksmithing mini-game became a free update later on.
Horse combat and tournament mode sound great as well.
I’m wondering why crossbows didn’t make it. Game balance maybe?

The female questline is between the tutorial and the start of the main quest. It isn’t a large part of the main game though.

Cavalry combat is tricky, as it is very different from what we see in film. The fightbooks have many techniques that go far beyond what is normally presented, and horses themselves should probably be gaited, rather than the typical modern horse with it’s four movement modes, as this provides more stable motion and a much easier transition of movement in all directions and speeds.

All of this is outside the standard motion capture data sets as are available for ‘general purpose’ horse movements.

I’m wondering why crossbows didn’t make it. Game balance maybe?

I’m no expert on crossbows, but I believe the reasons are because of animations (you reload with two hands and your foot, meaning you have to bend down. Other crossbows require a metal loading mechanism.) That and crossbows pierce plate far easier than longbows. You’ve also got to add pavises (tower shield as fantasy calls it) so you’re protected during a siege as a crossbow takes longer to reload. These are all speculations though. I can’t honestly say why they aren’t being put in at all, or as a DLC, but I remember it was said they weren’t going to be in the game whatsoever, DLC or otherwise.

2 Likes

I’m not even sure that any of these have been confirmed as being added later…Unless of course we’re talking in a later game?

Female Character and Dog Companion were talked about being DLC so that’s correct. Blacksmithing mini-game is axed and will not be seen in KCD. Polearms we will see, but not crossbows as you rightly suggest.

Basic horse combat confirmed. And Tournament Mode is offline, single player, separate game-mode outside of the main story. Apparently :smile:

I’m not even sure that any of these have been confirmed as being added later…Unless of course we’re talking in a later game?

I heard they were all to be DLC content, but it’s most likely they’ll make it into Act II of the game if it’s popular enough.

Blacksmithing mini-game is axed and will not be seen in KCD

Henry > son of blacksmith > no blacksmithing minigame. WELL THERE YA HAVE IT FOLKS :laughing: But no seriously, that is a small disappointment. I heard it was going to be a DLC though due to how much work it was, but if you heard it was axed then I believe you.

And Tournament Modde is offline, single player, separate game-mode outside of the main story. Apparently :smile:

That I knew, but it’s better having a second opinion just to be safe.

1 Like

I know right… but apparently new Henry wasn’t ever taught enough smithing craft to be able to justify the mini-games inclusion. Disappointing alright… but it freed up resources to focus on what was deemed more critical or important systems and subsystems / mechanics.

In saying that, I believe the sharpening mechanic will remain. It’s only the forging and smithing elements that are not being included

1 Like

What?! Why no crossbows!? Why there is female character?!

I can understand the whole animation headache to include crossbows (reloading with a foot stirrup and all) but its probably more of a game balancing issue.
The way you improve at bow usage in game can’t be translated to crossbows. Crossbows would have a major advantage as they required little training and could be used by weak, unskilled people. Their only 2 downsides were that they were expensive to produce and their rate of fire was somewhere around 5 times less than a skilled bowman.
Even if reloading was a headache you could always use the opening attack from a crossbow and switch to a melee weapon after the first shot.

It was a kickstarter stretch goal

Sorry clicked wrong button.

The game was one of if not the most expensive early access type of game Ive ever purchased(out of MANY), paying full price for a game not even fully released. Its an amazing game though, no denying that. So on top of that, will the DLC also cost money too?

And crossbows really should be in game along with the bows. Even throwing weapons sounds excellent. Not everyone is good at or likes the “rock scissors paper” frustrating combat system, but I understand they were trying to go for realism as best as they could. But a few other ranged ways to attack would be nice.

will the DLC also cost money too?

Probably not, given that it’s all cut content from the original game. Now if you’re wondering why it got cut, it’s because Warhorse said it’s too difficult to implement before they release it, But we have no release date despite being promised one a few Thursday’s ago, so it’s really up in the air right now whether it’ll be put in or if Warhorse will just release the game this year and therefore give themselves more time to make and add what was cut. I wouldn’t know, I’m not one of the Warhorse team, I’ve just been here since the day after the Kickstarter ended and been pledged ever since.

crossbows really should be in game

I would agree, but at the same time I understand if they put them in then it’d be frustrating as hell. Bows already can kill you one shot without any armour, so how would you feel if you were killed while wearing a suit of plate armour? You’d be kinda upset that the best armour possible can still be pierced by a bolt.

Also remember, this is 1403. There are handgonnes and cannons, though they’re rare to see. Imagine how you’d feel against that. And before you ask, no. There will be no gunpowder weapons in the game despite existing at the time. Not only for being OP, but because of the animations.

Maybe they could add a little more resistance to ranged weapons for any NPCs wearing plate? If they are focusing on realism then it would only make sense to have crossbows as well as bows. And the ability to throw weapons as well as using actual throwing weapons such as throwing daggers, should be in game too. As far as gunpowder based weapons thats really up to the devs, but I feel they could easily do it if they wanted just look at how amazing the game is so far. Muskets etc. would be yet another option for people that want other options besides everything being melee based. Also thank you for your reply and good info.

Guys stop proposing new features, or the game will release when my kids are grown up…

Also: “I feel they could easily do it” is probably the biggest, most common misconception on this forum :smiley:

1 Like

Oh are you a game programmer/designer?

Yes in fact, even though I don´t make games :smiley:

Handguns weren’t really around in 1403. At least not what we think of as a handgun.
The only thing you had were single-shot pistols that were basically miniaturized canons, small enough to carry. They were very unwieldy, took forever to load, and had a good chance of blowing up in the operators face. They were also extremely scarce.

I agree that crossbows would be nice but I don’t think they work from a game balance standpoint.

Handguns weren’t really around in 1403. At least not what we think of as a handgun. The only thing you had were single-shot pistols that were basically miniaturized canons, small enough to carry. They were very unwieldy, took forever to load, and had a good chance of blowing up in the operators face. They were also extremely scarce.

The thing you just described…they’re called handgonnes…

I will just leave it here.