Inclusions, exclusions, and DLCs

I think we’re all on the same page here. What I am saying is that, handguns (or handgonnes), weren’t around in the form of what we think of as a handgun “today”. That’s all I was saying.

I know they existed. But you didn’t have anything like a Sig Sauer .45.

First game? There will be a sequel?

Well…

Kingdom Come is Act 1 of 3, but each game is a game by itself with its own ending, so even if Warhorse doesn’t get the funds for Act 2, they’ll still have wrapped up Act 1 without a cliffhanger.

So there is a possibility of 2 more games, that’s awesome, though having sequels without new things would get boring.

In the video update they said it was because they weren’t happy with the system they made, where did they say this? It’s a poor excuse if they actually said that, as they decide how much he was taught. Plus learning skills is something he’ll be doing anyway.

Ultimately it came down to development wise, the devs not being happy with the system / mechanic.

But from a story justification perspective though (which is what I was referring to), WH have mentioned somewhere that the reason Henry isn’t able to ‘smith’ is because of him not being taught enough, or knowing enough of the skill to include this as an option for him in game.

I’m paraphrasing something Dan might’ve said in one of the video updates…

Well I’d like to see that, as I don’t recall it.

I don’t see that as a justification if it’s true though, they decide how much he learnt. As well as the fact that it isn’t as if when the game starts he’ll know much about swordplay, archery, reading, or alchemy, yet he can learn them and not the thing he spent his life around? Yeah, I don’t buy that:P

Exactly. And due to them being unhappy with the simplistic nature of what they’d created; they decided it would be best to not include it in the final game.

How they justify this from a story perspective is really then up to them. But from my recollection it was something like what I mention above.

At the end of the day, KCD isn’t a game about blacksmithing. And obviously they didn’t feel the extra hours of development and testing focus to get the smithing mechanic polished and working, were worth the in-game returns. So instead we have to rely on skilled trades to smith on our behalf.

I’m ok with it. But I do tend to gravitate towards crafting mechanics, so I’m a little disappointed that we can’t follow in our fathers footsteps in this regard.

Well it isn’t a justification, is what I’m saying. When you look at everything else he’ll be learning. And logically, him not being taught how to smith properly by his age is insanity.

Please try to find them giving the “justification” you said, I can’t really believe they said that.

This is what we know they’ve said, that they tried, but it was very complicated to implement the way he wanted it, so they dropped it.

I marked the time:

I don’t think everything needs a story justification, especially not when it can’t make sense. Why can’t you leave the game’s map?? "Because you can’t :smiley: "

I could be mistaken. If it wasn’t in one of the vids then perhaps it was simply a passing comment? Or like I said before, maybe I am just simply mistaken. :confused:

@DrFusselpulli Hey Doc, can you confirm whether or not there’s any particular story level justification from an actual narrative perspective, that explains why Henry can’t or doesn’t smith? (and therefore supports the lack of blacksmithing mechanic in-game)

Nice! But I still think they could easily put a few more ranged weapons in the game. Ive purchased a lot of early access games over many years, and have seen all types of amazing things implemented before release. If it makes the game more interesting and better overall, wouldnt it be worth the bit of extra time?

If handguns were not really in the time period then I can understand not putting them in game, since it wouldnt be too accurate of course. But those very basic hand carried handgonnes that others have posted look interesting, one even has a big spike coming out of the bottom so it could be used as a melee weapon after the initial shot.

Its been a while since I played, but wasnt Henry’s father a blacksmith? Didnt he pick up any smithing skills from his father?

Like, whatever? Because he really hates smithing? Some parents force their kids to learn piano or tennis and as soon as the pressure stops the kid never touches those things ever again.

Plus guise, it’s a game. There shouldn’t be any obvious inconsistencies but in the end If you can’t suspend your disbelief you shouldn’t play games. In Mass Effect everyone stood in place 24/7 - it must’ve been a torture no? Such nonsense. Sure but it’s a game.

I can’t see how it would fit into the scope of the game. Forging a sword is a highly involved task, taking days of full time labour even for a relatively basic weapon, and weeks or months of labour to produce something of substantial quality. Drawing out the blade for example is done 4-6" at a time, each requiring reheating the stock billet to a workable temperature and then manually hammering it to shape before repeating. Then you have shaping the profile, followed by multiple stages of heat treatment and assembly.

To do this in a brief mini-game would trivialise it IMO, and to do it justice would be highly tedious even if hugely expedited. It would also be inconsistent with the urgency of the situation and your involvement, first as a detective hunting for the perpetrators of your own and other misfortunes, and later as an important agent of your liege lord accomplishing other similar tasks ‘in the world’.
Purchasing a weapon from stock (or being assigned one as part of your equipment initially) is much more reasonable than the crafting being at your own hand.

Sword maintenance with a whetstone or wheel is much more in keeping, and that is possible within the game already.

I don’t see this as being in keeping with the scope of the

Yep Henry’s father was a blacksmith. And no Henry won’t be able to smith in-game. As to whether or not he can is a different argument altogether. But from what we’ve seen and know, he can only maintain his equipment, sharpen weapons on a grind stone etc.

It was always initially intended to be in scope. So whilst I agree with what you’re saying about the realities of forging a weapon, all Wicker and I were debating here is about whether or not there are any particular story related reasons or justifications for Henry not being able to smith.

And @KarlosCV; Not really sure what point you’re trying to make about suspending disbelief… I’m simply curious, thus my question to the Doc.

At the end of the day, like I said above, KCD isn’t a game about blacksmithing. And I’m perfectly fine with the mechanic not making it into the final release. I would’ve used it had the mechanic been there, but I’m not going to miss it (because we never experienced it fully anyway). So it will have very little impact on my play time & impressions overall. But that doesn’t stop me from asking questions

@CWB @KarlosCV @Lieste, bringing you all in too.

From a logic perspective, yes, it makes no sense that Henry can’t blacksmith given his upbringing.

From a gameplay perspective, still doesn’t make sense but I understand it’d be hard to implement. I mean there would have to be different difficulties, then you’d have to do a minigame, let’s say once per day, so it’s made to seem you’re actually taking the time to correctly forge the arm/armour. After each minigame, Henry would leave the forge tired, sleepy, overall just affected of doing hard work all day.

From a story perspective, they could say because of the urgency of your quests, blacksmithing would be your least concern as you’re working to help end the Cuman invasion and your Lord would find you useless if you avoided your responsibilities he places upon you. He could even have men come from somewhere and tell you, ‘‘Our Lordship has sent me to say you’ve been given an order. There’s a dozen other blacksmiths around. Simply get one of them to forge your arms or else he’ll suspend you from his service.’’

I don’t like the idea of using illogical justifications. As I said, not everything needs some sort of justification, not every gameplay aspect can make sense. Do we need to have a reason why we can’t have a dog companion? “The dogs are very sleep at the moment…”

Based on side quests and other activities being a thing, I doubt they’re going to be enforcing a sense of urgency overall. That kind of thing would make doing anything but the main quest feel off.

Thanks for all the good info guys.

I doubt they’re going to be enforcing a sense of urgency overall.

Well…if you don’t find Reeky Day 1 of the BETA, he’s dead. And it’s pretty hard to get information from a dead man. So, I believe the quests are actually already made to be urgent and just fucking around is not a good idea, unless you’re going for that, then congrats! (I’m being sincere. If it sounded sarcastic, I wasn’t trying to be.) Me personally, I prefer getting the information while he’s alive, so I just go straight for him off the bat so that he isn’t dead and I can then fuck around. I’ve noticed that while playing the BETA, besides Reeky dying, nothing changes no matter how long you take to do the quests, but I could be wrong.