Inclusions, exclusions, and DLCs

I’m not referring to specific quests, I know they can be strict about time. I meant the main questline in general, the overall feel of it. Of course there will be urgent parts. I’m saying I doubt that will stretch across the whole story, to the point of your lord permanently banning you from blacksmithing things, which would mean he expects you to do nothing but serve him. Which would also make doing anything other than the main questline feel off, and inconsistent with the main questline.

You’re making an assumption that any justification provided would be illogical… whereas for me, any justification, no matter how weak it might seem, would be preferred to leaving it unanswered and unaddressed.

As @TheKnightinBlack highlighted, it really doesn’t make much sense given Henry’s upbringing, that he can’t blacksmith. But as @KarlosCV touched on, perhaps he does know something of the trade, but simply didn’t want to follow in his fathers footsteps and gives it up the first chance he gets… who knows. I’m just intrigued. It may seem trivial to some, but I think it’s worth understanding.

You’d really prefer something that straight up doesn’t make sense to simply ignoring it? I disagree completely, an excuse being wedged in, instead of just accepting “he just doesn’t happen to do it”, isn’t right to me.

There is no way to explain why you can’t do certain things, it simply isn’t possible. Why can you physically not take a step out of the map, why can’t you get a dog, why can’t I sharpen a wooden handle into a shiv, why can’t you- It doesn’t end the amount of things you can’t do, as it isn’t a simulation.

This isn’t any less illogical of a thing you physically can’t do, but I don’t see people discussing the fine details of why Henry can’t sharpen a handle. They said the female questline and some other quests they couldn’t finish would be free DLC for backers (said in above video update), they haven’t confirmed blacksmithing won’t be added later:P

We’re going to agree to disagree on this one then. Because the examples that you give are never going to require justification in game. You’re going off on a tangent, and we could sit here debating this til the end of days.

For me, the fact that the son of a blacksmith who can’t smith in a game where it was initially intended, just seems to sit a little bit odd if left unaddressed. So yes, I would like to see some form of narrative justification that makes sense within the realms of the story, as to why this is the case.

And they’ve never come out and said [quote=“Wicker, post:44, topic:32436”]
“he just doesn’t happen to do it”
[/quote]
Because even that is still something.

Who knows… maybe he’ll be able to in future games?

That’s pretty much a requirement for playing a videogame.

1 Like

It takes an accomplished blacksmith and years of experience to forge some fine and cool blades that we were all so looking forward to in the bs-minigame. Being an apprentice, Henry might be skilled enough to hammer nails, horseshoes or somesuch basics but nowhere near the craftmanship needed to make new weapons let alone armors. How does that sound for an explanation? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your argument is flawed. The guy doesn’t know how to use a longsword, a bow, let alone how to kill, but I’m pretty sure by the end of the game you’ll be super proficient at all of those skills… in game progression is normal and expected behavior. One can’t become a master swordsman in the space of a few months. And yet that’s more than likely what we’ll see and experience as we progress through various fights, encounters and battles. Why should a crafting mechanic be treated any differently…

Anyway, I feel like I’m going around in circles with this one. And whilst I appreciate the attempted explanation, I’d prefer to hear something straight from the Warhorses mouth so to speak

We don’t know if they’ll add it later via dlc or an update. Plus, maybe modders could make something for it.

You can roleplay a version of Henry that hates smithing if you want, but I don’t think making it canon is a good idea. If only because of modding potential, or it maybe being done officially.

warehorse explained it already, they couldn’t get it working to the level of quality they wanted, so they scrapped it. it’s the same situation with children. you win some you lose some. at the end of the day, this is a medieval open world rpg, not a blacksmithing sim, not a cooking sim, not a sword smithing sim. all those were bonuses that aren’t necessary to the experience. i’m glad we at least got to keep alchemy

3 Likes

The idea of the son of the blacksmith being himself a good blacksmith, etc, is an expected thing. We hardly ever read of the son of the local chandler being a crap chandler, or the local vitner having a son that can’t stomp a grape. It seems illogical.

But why must Henry have been good at blacksmithing? Just for the fact his Dad was a good one? Seems less than logical to me, despite the ‘continue the family tradition’ thing. Henry could easily be the world’s worst blacksmith, and that’s OK, becasue if he was a Master, why the heck is he not at the forge instead of being a Hero?

Crafting is in general overdone anyway in my opinion. Craft craft craft. They should make a crafting and fishing game set in 1295…craft a new rod. Need hooks! Bait? Weave an eel trap…oh no, you dropped the fish back in the river! Now you go hungry. Some would like it. I’d rather watch dust settle.

1 Like

“Continue the family tradition” was an important thing in Middle Ages.[quote=“WeeScot, post:51, topic:32436”]
why the heck is he not at the forge instead of being a Hero
[/quote]

Because Hungarian army burned Jindrich’s town, killed his father and now Jindrich wants revenge?

3 Likes

Sure. Fair points. But continuing the tradition doesn’t make him good at smithing, does it? It was not just important in the middle ages, by the way. It was important in much the same way as it had been for centuries until the Industrial Revolution. Please don’t assume what I know or do not. :wink:

And your second point, “Because Hungarian army burned Jindrich’s town, killed his father and now Jindrich wants revenge?” is exactly my own point. The man’s doing something else now. On this we agree.