Is the game poorly optimized, or is my system just shit?

CPU - Intel i5-6500
GPU - NVIDIA GTX 1070
Memory - 16 GB
Playing on native monitor resolution.

Installed on an SSD with plenty of room to spare. No idea why I’m averaging 10 FPS while moving and 20 while idle on “Medium” graphics. Maybe I’m clueless and my system is dogshit, I dunno.

Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

If those are your literal FPS there is something wrong with your setup because you should be getting much better.
I run an i5 and Rx 480 and get 60fps on medium most of the time.

SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE SYSTEM.

your system is very good. I have similar system and get 60 fps in ultra. 55-60 in towns.

1 Like

probably drivers that have been outdated for years

Even those shouldn’t average that low. Somethings gone really wrong with his system or he’s got the shittiest pc copy and I doubt it’s the latter.

I played with the microsoft drivers for a while (forgot to update when I reinstalled OS into new SSD) and you get better results than that. Something is going on there. If he has CPU-z and GPU-z or other system analysis app, it would be great to see a screenshot of it while in game.

I updated my NVIDIA drivers today: Version 391.01.

Can you get MSI afterburner and post a screenshot of the usage graphics while in play?

That’s just me standing still in Rattay.

I have a much weaker/older system and play the game smoothly on MED/HIGH setting on 1080p.
i5-2500k
16GB
GTX1050TI

So there seems to be something seriously broken in your sys…
From your GPU-data it seems you did not even wake up the card.
There must be a problem in other parts or some very bad driver problems.

Do you have any other demanding games on hand? A benchmark result should tell if it’s a problem with something specific to KCD or to your system.

I’d reset the settings in the NVIDIA control panel, or alternatively try a clean install of the drivers, not a regular install.

It would also be helpful to see the GPU usage % over time, maybe it’s not even being used to drive the game.

If all other games are working fine (although I doubt it…), then maybe it’s some mod that you downloaded?

1 Like

I think I’m just going to wipe my system and transfer the files that I want to save onto an external hard drive and start from scratch, because this computer used to run like butter, and I haven’t tampered with the insides apart from replacing thermal paste and dusting off in a year and a half.

@notom I’ve had a similar experience.
I’m on a PC, really been enjoying the gameplay so far bit the frame rates and popping textures do subtract from the total medieval bliss I long for. The in-game option to display FPS tells me that I usually only get 9-12 fps in towns and running about in the wild. The cut scenes usually jump up to 60 fps but everything else is low. I tried switching graphics settings between low and medium and didn’t see a change in the FPS. However, if it really was displaying at 10fps I think the gameplay would be horrendous but I’ve been able to do pretty much anything (lock picking, combat, hunting wascally wabbits) and the animations were smooth, not choppy. Could the in-game FPS be off?
Here are my system specs.
AMD FX9590 eight core (8 x 5.0 Ghz -16MB cache)
16 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
ATI Radeon R7 370 4GB video card
And plenty of space on the hard drive. Right now I’ve got game saved on the hard drive, I have room I could move it to a SSD but I didn’t think it would matter that much. Any ideas?

Here’s the afterburner shot while I was running near the bridge

Just out of curiosity, check your windows power plan settings.
Under PCI Express, turn off any power savings measures there.

1 Like

Nope. Power plan is not restricting anything.

For some reason your GPU is not being used almost at all… fucking weird. Can you show us your CPU usage?

And can you submit a Unigine heaven or forest result? Better yet, a firestrike result. Then we can see all the different usages.

I noticed my CPU usage was pretty high. It’s been taking me ages just to load into the game, about 5 minutes each time I want to get a reading on my usages. I’ll figure out what those words you just said mean and get back to you when I’m in the game lmao

Could be your disk. Is it a hard drive or SSD? If the former try deffraging it, if the latter, run some speed tests on it to see if it is beginning to give up the ghost.

I got this SSD only a few months back, I don’t think it’s that. My disk hasn’t been slow to write data or slow to compress either.