It was a boring evening and I had this screenshot

I made a screenshot and suddenly realized what it reminded me. This is probably how KCD would look in my childhood (click to enlarge). Just add some 8-bit music for the general mood. (If you are an old fart like me and understand what I’m talking about.)

7 Likes

I’m sorry but you want to notice the differneces between your actual version and other screenshots of 1.4.3?

It’s either I didn’t get your point or you didn’t get mine.

kk, sorry i want to ask something about your actual version but didnt know how to write it better.
Sorry for the annoy :slight_smile:

It’s 1.4.3. But this is not an actual game menu. In fact, now I’m looking at this screenshot on my laptop and realize that it might be not obvious what I meant. But on my desktop the pixelation and 8-bit colour was clearly visible.

Yeah the 8-bit colors are another problem… But first i would scared due of the Flag behind the KCD lago the differnt font style… the gamma, brightness… so many. Did you validated your steam files? Or do you play on console?

C’mon, you can’t be serious.

kk, i was trying to help. Dont know what’s the problem if you cant compare actual menu screens to yours. Bye

There is nothing to help with because there is no problem. It’s a screenshot from KCD stylized to look like an old 256-colour game.

:expressionless: kk, now i got it. I am stupid :

ahh damn, now i relaized… i thought there was a problem :expressionless: :rofl: :sweat_smile:
sooo…rry :kissing_heart:

No problem, dude. Sh’t happens :slight_smile:

But embarrassing. :sweat_smile::upside_down_face: Can you perhaps explain how to create such bit images? I would like to create such pictures to other but older titles

I had road and track presents ‘test drive’ for my 8086 (pre 80286/386/486/pentium days).
My 8086 ran at 4.77 mhz and could be pushed all the way to 9.5Mhz.

Whilst I had the CGA (colour graphics array) video card- I only had an orange ‘monochrome’ monitor.
It caught me out at one point- the kids at school would run a ‘CGA emulation’ hack on their hercules video cards (to run Marble Madness).
Wgen I ran the CGA hack -my screen didnt blank like it was supposed to (whilst I typed ‘mm’-the batch file created to make swapping directories and loading the executable for marble madness).

Gaming was serious back in the eighties. Consoles for kiddies sure (I loved me my Phantasy Star) but games like Dungeon Master on the stepdads Atari ST showed me what I was missing.
Whilst the Atari ran in colour and Leisure Suit Larry looked tremendous- using my 20Megabytes hard drive in the PC made figuring our ‘Larrys’ puzzles a much faster experience on the PC (in monochrome).
Then we would take our pre teen butts to the loungeroom to see the Atari render the same scene in colour.

Links Golf and Crimewave used ‘realsound’ to make the pc speakers beep more useful. Admittedly I had a creative sound card so I could do wavetable synthesis (suck it adlib/roland users).

Fun times.
Its crazy reading Richard Leadbetter and others talk about these times- how they wouldfigure out display drive modes that our displays and cards ‘could do’ and then push the boundaries.

Still love me some ‘Elite’ action.
Bards Tale nowadays even comes with the ‘classics’.

I recall getting a Dungeon and Dragons game -way back then- on several floppies; and the files were compressed:by this point I had a 20mhz 80286 but it took days to ‘unpack’ the game.

Like a 40mhz 386 rendering the coreldraw balloon. Have a nice wait.

Amigas were the platform to use through this time period.
Their arcade ports of Outrun and Double Dragon (and everything Psynosis with their parralax scrolling eg Shadow of the Beast) were all top tier.

Dungeon Master on Atari ST was the same- but all the other games had much larger Sprites on the Amiga. (Gary and Denise doing their stuff)

Most impressive moments from these days- Kings Quest V in VGA (256 colours) - still have the haunting music in my head from the weeping willow scene (was it greensleeves?).
Roberta Williams. Gaming goddess you!

3 Likes

3 Likes

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

Heroquest/quest for glory depending on world region, yes?
More classic Sierra games!

1 Like

Nothing too complicated, but you have to know your way around Photoshop or a similar editor.

1- The first ingredient is a screenshot. It shouldn’t have too much detail since the game could have been played at as low res as 320x200, but it should have a certain mood in it. A mystery, an action, or something.

2- Then I cropped it to 1440x1080 to have the proper aspect ratio,

3- downscaled it to 640x480

4- and then re-scaled it back to 1440x1080, but an important ingredient is to select the interpolation mode “Nearest Neighbors”, otherwise Photoshop does a very good job on enhancing quality, but this is not what we need.

5- Then change it to “Indexed Color” with “Windows (system)” palette. It will do the colour trick.

6- The next thing is to return it to RGB colour, if you want to add something. It won’t return the colours back, so it won’t spoil the 256-colour effect.

7- Now you can use some artistic filters. I used the Pixelate/Mosaic filter.

8- Any text and logos are added now and the process is repeated for them, but do it in their separate layers, otherwise the effect may be not uniform and you will have text too much pixelated, for example.

That’s basically it.

2 Likes

Funny, I’ve got so much to get done today but your post makes me want to dig the old Amiga 500 out of the basement and see if it still runs. I’m sure there’s still a c64 down there as well. Thanks a bunch.

1 Like

damn, was it “the pawn”? at least it somehow reminds me to my childhood

Reminds me of Defender of the Crown. :slight_smile:

(Though, obviously, looking loads better!)

1 Like