KCD and RPG cliches

Realistic would be boring tho. You wouldn’t want to carry more than 12kg around with you at one time realistically. So the realism thing doesn’t really float with me because the more realistic the more boring.

1 Like

Reading that gave me visions of Santa (Henry) Claus and his sack

Yeah. Personally I envision this is what RPG characters really look like:

I like the idea, though not reasonable, of making an inventory like Resident Evil or Diablo, where you could only carry what you can fit. Makes more sense in a game aimed toward realism

1 Like

Yesterday, in HC, I made about 100k in 1 game day. In HC, should I be limited to 5, 10, or 15 pieces of heavy armor? Or, should I be limited to 200, 1000, or 6000 in weight? Or, should I only have 30 or so inventory slots? Or, should Henry’s load be applied to the horse carrying capacity?

My preference is definitely the last one, but I really don’t care about the specifics. It’s the concept more than anything else that I’d like to see applied to HC.

Additionally, I wish vendors had caps as well. The current mechanic has the effect of zilching out the vendor’s treasury; that’s wrong. Again (as expressed elsewhere), I wish there were something like what you mentioned limited (shelf) space, and a behind the scenes inventory clearance mechanism (to open up space after some time). That said, my preference is less important than the implementation of some reasonable and playable mechanic.

Like, realistically (especially in HC) I think you should be limited to what you can wear, and if you decide to take your armor off then you can store that but be it equipped or in your inventory you can only carry what you can wear; at least until you movement is slowed to allow realistic transport of loot to your horse and not just magic transfer.

Or, say you have a total amount allowed to carry after what is equipped and if you unequip something it goes into that pool of what you can carry, which is realistic and levels up with strength as it already does…it would take some figuring out and idk what the limits should be but I know I shouldn’t be able to carry 4+ full sets of armor and the same amount of every style of weapon the game has to offer as well as piles of food and stuff

I like Capons hunting missions where you get stuff from certain pouches on your horse. Give me specific saddle bags with specific weight limits and when theyre full theyre full…it wont come from this game but it is a great start but I want a realistic, immersive, liveable medieval simulator

So dig this threads topic.
Having that list in text form (@Offler thankyou)- I showed the lost to my daughter as we often bemuse the cliches used in games. (Undertale bit her hard as RPGs go, and naturally I introduced her to my hidden stockpile (under the bed in the guestroom), many years of collecting ‘cream of the crop’ titles…

Games like ‘the world ends with you’, gems…
We dug that list and had a laugh.

It really highlights an aspect of KCD that is so refreshing.
@Kirksty- weight limits being imposed and potential tediousness it brings is actually a great part of roleplay.

Sure our hometown gets destroyed but at least we dont have amnesia.
Imagine if the game gave us reason we have no blacksmith skill (after apprenticing for 6+ years) was the hit on the head at start! (?)

KCDs world is better for all the dirt and disease.
Rather do medieval times digitally, and be able to go to fridge for a sugared beverage whenever the want arises.

Not much call for home theatre installations back then, but then neither would I have to lament Microsoft/Windows products…
I’m on the fence. Maybe it wouldnt be so bad.

Sorry for digging out an older post, but something about robbing every dead you find … I have just recently read Homer’s Ilias, and can say that during siege of Troy both sides did exactly that. Every Greek hero when he managed to kill some enemy, he forgot whole war, draged the body behind front line, striped it of armor (the most expensive thing they had), and stored the armor in his ship. Only after that he returned to fight. And Troyans were not better … there was a huge battle over dead body of Patrokles, just because he had the most valuable armor around, and Hector wanted it.

As KCD is in medieval times … how long do you think that dead body in full armour would lie on the field? After every battle, common folk would go to battlefield and scavange everything valuable they could find. Because why not? You can get a lot of money from it, and those things were just lying there.

3 Likes

Homer’s illiad is fantasy, too. Minotaurs, medusas, corpse-looting - seems like an ancient D&D edition. Strange choice of historical source.
To christian medieval people touching corpses was even more forbidden than for us today or to ancient pagan people. And everyone kinda knew each other so… And you can’t get a lot of money for it because no honest trader would buy it. Either because it’s too shady or because they simply don’t need all this crap (videogame logic where you can sell any amounts of useless stuff to vendors don’t work IRL). And dead bodies on the field would be buried immediately if possible. And major battles didn’t happen that often
Sure looting existed but I can’t imagine it be normal like in retarded fantasy RPGs - something that you do automatically and roll dice for loot pieces. Come on, it’s not ok IRL even today

I was one way the common foot soldier could get better equipment. and the common peasant get something to sell that might yield food/fuel/money for months to come.

Common soldiers were paid good enough to buy their own and equipment wasn’t that expensive. And whom peasants would sell that and how they will explain it? This is all stereotypes

Present historical references proving your point not just statements of your belief. I am talking Levey soldiers. what to stop a man-at-arms from a free upgrade. If you think they didn’t do looting you are uninformed.

1 Like

If so, treasures of the past DLC intentionally forces us to break tradition to obtain (somewhat) cool gear. Such a design intent is :zipper_mouth_face:. Refuse to do it in playline 2.

does anyone find it odd you meet Peshek to do a grave robbing mission literally right after you go to bury your parents…what kind of person is Henry where he can survive a massacre, go through it again to try to bury his parents honorably and then to immediately go grave robbing…

I skipped that mission in my original play, didn’t seem to fit the scenario for me.

1 Like

You, first, because what you’re saying can be proven only with video games and dumb stereotypes. Yet even today people don’t rob the dead often IRL
As I said, touching corpses was forbidden. If that’s not enough for a man-at-arms to stop him from ‘free upgrade’ then there’s no upgrade. Chainmail is a chainmail, helmet is a helmet and man-at-arms should have his own by this point. They’re not even that expensive to even bother. This doesn’t make any sense

It was common practice to strip everything of value from a battlefield. This is illustrated in manuscripts and tapestries. The practice was so common, it can be difficult for historians to find anything of value on well-known battlefields, because it has been so thoroughly scavenged. Battle of Wisby is a notable exception, because the peasants buried there were wearing extremely out-of-date armor.

Reusing material was an almost zealous practice in the Middle Ages…everything, from metal, to leather, to cloth, was reused and recycled until all that was left was tattered scraps.

4 Likes

It is odd and I think it was done on purpose. It is a great character test.

1 Like

I’d like to see at least one example

Exactly. I did it on later play throughs but my first play through I think I came back to it later when I was a little more morally flexible

You really don’t think battlefields were stripped of gear and food after a battle? You’re insane.

1 Like