KCD and RPG cliches

Our local police reports also mention gravedigging. Yeah, we do it everyday. Every time I need new clothes I just go to the graveyard and loot some. But first I sell my old torn apart clothes at the local store, because why not. Also my ancestors fought with enormous armed rabbits and snails, known fact from manuscripts. And people from biblical times wore 13th century armor as depicted in maciejowski bible - proves that they had time travel machine.
Medieval cliches are just as dumb as RPG cliches. Whatever

Now you are just being facetious.

We know from history scolars that some of the monsters depicted were based on descriptions being misinterpreted. “Yes it had great teeth like a rabitt”. “It was slimy like a slug”. And some of the descriptions were merely bragging or warning people off.

The clothing depicted in bibles are understandable, because people did not know that people of ancient wore different clothing. Or they weren’t supposed to know. And I strongly suggest you actually know this. Like they almost always depict Christ as a caucasian, when we know he wasn’t. Or Adam and Eve with navels (Adam should have a scar and Eve should not have a navel).

When it comes to looting, is is frowned upon in some later texts, when the church and novelists tried to impose some decency and shame upon us.
In reality historians have shown us that they lived in those times, where everything was used and reused. There was absolutely no reason to leave armour and weapons on the battlefield if it was better than what you had or could be melted down and reused.

It is the same argument we hear when they talk about the bronze tools used to carve the stone blocks used in ancient buildings and how unlikely it was because “we would find thousands of worn down tools and we haven’t”.
No we wouldn’t. They would have been melted down for reuse.

3 Likes

I have to say that there was not reason to dig out corpses buried in christian way, because they did not have many things of value with them. Christians just did not practice any gifts for the dead. Maybe you could find something valuable in graves of rich nobles, but they often had tombs of some sort, and it was not easy to get there. It might be possible, but it did noty worth the risk, because neither them took many treasures to their graves. Maybe some little jewellery and probably rich clothing, but not more.

Different situation was with pagan lords, who were often buried with many riches, and we can also see that their graves were often later dug out and looted. Ask ancient Egyptians for example. It just DID worth to break into a pyramid.

1 Like