KCD Future Developement?

Kingdom Come was a Kickstarter project. How many dollars did they collect via this campaign? I know there was a 37 million private investor, but the whole project has not cost so much. Also note in Czech it’s cheaper to develop a game than in the US.

If you want to know more…:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

lol me, thanks

The original point still stands however - numbers in isolation mean nothing.
With only a statement of one year and no other numbers to compare it to talking about numbers is a waste of time.

the KS was only to prove to their investor that there was interest in the game. He paid for the game… not the kickstarter money.

Moved into a new building, Tobi doesn’t travel for free, etc

Even at +37mil KCD is a helluva game

“Vávra stated the game cost them 750 million crowns, approximately $36.5 million USD, including marketing costs”.
“On 1 October 2014, Daniel Vávra had announced through a YouTube video that the game had raised 2,002,547 from a total of 38,784 backers”.
“A year after its release the game had sold over 2 million copies”

EDIT: I multiplied by $30 instead of $40 to account for sale discounts and what not, i have absolutely no idea how much steam takes from that but i thought 25% of the price should cover all the unaccountables

KCD is selling for $42.95 on steam right now.

$30x2,000,000= $60,000,000+$2,000,000(kickstarter)
= $62,000,000

$62,000,000- $36,500,000

$25,500,000 profit

It’s not record breaking but still nice, if there concerned about reception they’d just do another kickstarter and if they dont reach there goal they just wont start production.

No, Steam wants 30%.
Don’t forget Kickstarter they want 9%.(And you have to pay taxes for the kickstarter money).

No, that differs from country to country. Check the different prices!
And nobody buys an “older” game full price (maybe 5-10%) everybody else waits for a Steam sell.
At a sell it is 20-25$.

The profit is lower… maybe 5-10 million dollar.

Kickstarter is not an option for them… at least it would be only a kind of marketing (more costs).
Not start production, but pay 120-150 people and everything else???
Not a good idea…

It’s their own fault to release the game on Steam. As a Publisher I would boycott Steam and save 30 % profit.
And it’s funny. One year ago I was the one who said KCD cost 37 million and all people here said I’m wrong. It only cost the Kickstarter budget. And now, things are the opposite.

hm…
KCD release: 13 February 2018 // Epic Store Launch: 4 december 2018

1 Like

I also would boycott Epic Store. What’s Epic Store? Another DRM bullshit made by Fortnite people? I wouldn’t throw my money in their necks.

And as a player I would boycott any game out of Steam. Just don’t need another launcher mess anywhere on my PC. I have one game library, I’m satisfied with.

Well… those boycotts are getting out of hand, aren’t they?

You need not a single launcher. Buy on GOG.

Yeah, say a game company developing a game one had lots of interest in offered one the opportunity to beta test its game or latest DLC via Steam and was professional about reporting/triaging reported issues… boycott. Great mindset

Interest of some people doesn’t matter. They could buy the game on GOG or retail, or they simply don’t buy it. DRM-free is more worth than beta testing or auto updates. But it’s irrelevant how Warhorse think. This is how I think and how I would publish a game. If I would be the investor, I would boycott Steam. And when one million people don’t buy it, then don’t they buy it. The biggest problem and what ruins most franchises is when profit is the highest goal of game development.

That should be your tag line

Why? Can you explain your statement?

Pattern of behaviour. Yes.

How do you publish a game and save 30% for Steam / GOG or 18% for Epic Store?
(A own launcher is a bad idea…)

Any idea the cut for Sony and MS?

A little dated but…

Console Owner Fee: 11.5% (about $7)

This is why Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are laboring so mightily to make their machines to success: Each gamemaker that wants to roll out a new title has to fork over a fee for each unit sold. This may vary per console maker–some publishers say creating games for the PlayStation 3 is more expensive because of fees Sony charges to use its Blu-Ray DVD standard. “But that number can get smaller depending on the publisher’s status,” says Peer Schneider, vice president of content publishing at IGN, News Corp.’s gaming portal. “The fee can be waived for exclusivity to a platform–that will buy you a kickback.”

https://www.forbes.com/2006/12/19/ps3-xbox360-costs-tech-cx_rr_game06_1219expensivegames_slide_5.html