Kingdom Come: BUSHIDO

guys no mater what sword you use it all coms down to how good fast and strong the user is

1 Like

Gotcha i was just confused on how people could tell it was dull from that far away but apparently you can.

or you can just say nope. Third option damascus steel Kilij. Great slashing weapon plus i can stab around your shield. Also if you’re on horse back its like having a Sabre but with a better cut.

I do think they sharpened it… but I do think that is was made as a blunt training sword… not as a sharp.

But that is just based on the way it flex… no way I can prove it.

Eeeugh, please no. Can we for once have something made without someone going. “kawaiii, japanoruuuuuu, weee”

Yeah i wish someone would re create the test and do it properly im surprised no one has yet.

The Celtics and the Scandinavians, possibly others too. Are people whom have been using the same way of “folding” iron into blades as the japanese. Afaik the earliest Katanas are from the 10th century? Well, the Celts have been making longswords for over 2000 years. The vikings, about 300 - 200 years earlier than the 10th century.

So, at what point is the katana magically any better? Could it perhaps be years for Hollywood influences?

When did i say the katana was better?? I even said i preferred the longsword over the katana. Yes the katana is over rated but people now have this idea that it is the worst sword invented and i DO have a problem with that because it simply isn’t true.

No but you mentioned the way it was made with, “poor quality steel”.

Only point was, even though their raw iron might have been worse. It’s an old technique… Which I would doubt make any difference towards the quality of the blade itself.

It suppose it is connected with the mental picture of katana as a sword made by some mysterious old master smith and at the same time a highly expensive “a la mode” collector item. While the european sword is just the rusty old thing you can see in a museum.

I would argue it doesnt matter whether it is katana or kindjal or sabre or sword, what matters is the material and the craft. Every one of them was a highly able weapon used in some kind of martial art or highly successful technique of combat.

Steel swords are better than iron swords thats a fact. You dont want a brittle blade that can snap and break easily. Steel is flexible allowing it to take way more punishment before breaking. I also never said the katana or the longsword was made with poor quality steel i simply stated that the europeans had better quality steel than japan because they had more iron to work with. Japan had to improvise and make their own which was not as good as European steel.

Right, so I also wasn’t saying they exclusively used spears, just it was the primary weapon on the battlefield during the largest warring period in Japan. This isn’t because of a deficiency of the katana itself, just that two handed swords are a poor choice for tight formation battles. They obviously still used swords especially in smaller conflicts, during duels and as a secondary weapon. Much like how soldiers today have rifles and pistols for different situations.

People just like to interpret things to the extreme. But when people reference the katana not being the mainstay weapon of the warring period in Japan, this is what they are referring to (or what they should be referring).

Yeah i agree with you just like the longsword wouldn’t have been the primary weapon of most normal soliders back then. Nomral foot soliders who weren’t samurai wouldn’t have used the katana as a main weapon and the majority of the army would have been non samurai probably. Just like everyone in Europe wasn’t a knight everyone in japan wasn’t a samurai. But the majority of people i come across seem the think the katana wasn’t even used in battle and was just a decoration and of course they never have facts to back that up.

The celts and vikings didn’t use longswords…
Longsword= a sword usually used in two hands.

1 Like

Celtic longsword is just celtic swords that were unusally long for their time. Not refering to post iron age longswords.

Vikings did not use longswords either.

The point of my post was not even the type of sword but the technique in which these BLADES were made.

Vikings win for the best quality of steel in their swords. The Ulfberht had steel so high quality that type of steel wasn’t seen again till the industrial revolution.

if the ore quality is bad that meens you just need more ore to get the same quality. they explain this in the video.

I just scrolled through this thread and noticed the words Katana vs. X appear. People this will inevitable turn into a cesspit of misinformed and faulty opinions being presented as facts. No amount of youtube video’s is going to change this.

well the ting is that making the best steel is not that economic. like you se today. they only use the best steel on the tings that really need it. like airplane screws and bolts needs to have perfect purity steel. on the other hand body parts for a car dont need to that good quality. i do think it was the same back then.my guess is that the richer people of the time had the best quality steel and the middleclass used the more common type of steel

Oh in reply to the original topic, yeah sure id love a game about an earlier Japan.