Kingdom Come: BUSHIDO

well you are welcome to share your expertise

For the last time. I was talking strictly and only about blade forging technique. Not sword design, not ore quality. Nothing else.

It’s a sword and it cuts quite well. That is all there is to know right? In the end we’re just comparing sharp bars of metal.

well the steel quality have somthing to say on the overall quality of the weapon. so its very relevant

sorry i quoted wrong person, i ment SirWarriant

When did is say steel quality was irrelevant??

lol its been a mix up. i wrote this:
well the ting is that making the best steel is not that economic. like you se today. they only use the best steel on the tings that really need it. like airplane screws and bolts needs to have perfect purity steel. on the other hand body parts for a car dont need to that good quality. i do think it was the same back then.my guess is that the richer people of the time had the best quality steel and the middleclass used the more common type of steel.

as an anser to this:
Steel swords are better than iron swords thats a fact. You dont want a brittle blade that can snap and break easily. Steel is flexible allowing it to take way more punishment before breaking. I also never said the katana or the longsword was made with poor quality steel i simply stated that the europeans had better quality steel than japan because they had more iron to work with. Japan had to improvise and make their own which was not as good as European steel.

1 Like

This could be cool… But what about VIKINGS!!! :smiley: Now that could be brutal :smiley:

-sub-40 inch sword hewing through pole arm haft.
-unnecessary spinning
-delivering a lethal cut through armor
-flashy sword twirling
-clearly based on movies and “martial arts” that end with dō

0/10 would not want to see in a Kingdom Come spinoff. was kinda cool tho

They only spun once.

The guy who was killed was a monk warrior unit and he pretty much no armor on.

Not really

Are you qualified to make this criticisms? I thought you took European martial arts not Jap martial arts.

Unlikely but not impossible.

This cinematic does not represent the game very well i suggest you play Shogun 2 its a very good game much better than Rome shit 2 total war.

I hate to be a necro poster, but I just feel that I should share this information with you. The Japanese equivalent to a full harness of plate armor, the o-yoroi, weighed 60 pounds or so, had many more weak points than field plate, the weight was not as well distributed(even with a haramaki dō), and its loose box-like shape severely hindered swordsmanship.sauce

Now I’m not trying to just bash Japanese medieval armaments or anything, but let’s be honest here, European plate blew Japanese plate/lamellar out of the water. Now the more common Japanese armors were lighter than o-yoroi, but they covered even less of the body, and still had less weight distribution than the European stuff.

I’m not an anti-weeaboo or anything, but pound for pound European armor was the best.

Completely agree. I don’t think you understood my comment though i was just defending the game and i never brought up European things

Completely agree

Im very very anti Weeaboo i was defending the game because it happens to be one of my favorite games i was not in any way defending Jap weapons or armor.

I agree
Btw the game in the video is an RTS not a first person rpg in case you were wondering

Don’t worry about that post, it was just a joke. I actually quite enjoyed the video, and nothing I said should be taken seriously, I actually had to watch it 4 times to find enough criticisms to make a comment on it.

I actually have practiced some kenjutsu with a friend who is a practitioner, but by no means am I a practitioner myself. I just like making jabs at modern sport fencing, such as kendo or Iaido.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your intent. But you did say “much lighter than european plate and you wouldn’t die of suffocation/heatstroke”

Lastly, when I said “anti-weeaboo” I didn’t mean someone who dislikes weeaboos, I hate those guys, I meant someone who is the opposite of them and glorifies the west over the east against all logic. Perhaps my wording wasn’t the best, I’ve never had much of a way with words.

P.S. I’ve played Medieval II: Total War.

I must have been wrong about the weight but i have read from many sources that there would be people in full plate dying of heatstroke or suffocating in their armor. One battle i could name off the top of my head where that happened was Agincourt and i remember reading about some battle in the war of the roses where that happened

Yeah i can assure you im not a Weeaboo in the slightest the only anime show i think ive ever watched is the last air bender and im not ever sure if that’s anime. I like western things much better than eastern. Im obsessed with longbows and my favorite sword is the Messer. When ever somone says the east is better than the west i just like to bring this up…

1 Like

Since I’m here I suppose It is only right that I say something related to the original topic.

I would love such a spinoff! There is no medieval region I adore more than the good ole HRE, but Japan is also very historically interesting and with neat aesthetics to boot.

And I think many of you would be surprised by how similar historical kenjustu is to longsword, many of its guard positions are strikingly similar, if not identical, to the western stuff. It makes sense, the weapons are similar (two handed swords that are light enough to be one handed and be worn on the hip) and the human body is almost the same no matter where you go, so of course in such conditions the martial arts will be similar. Remember, Kendo is like Olympic foil fencing, it is a modern invention and should never be used as examples of how the real weapons were used during their time.

3 Likes

Katana > Longsword
Samurai> Knight

Kingdom Come - The Rap Game of BUSHIDO :laughing:

Gatling Cannon > Samurai

3 Likes

I find the whole Knight vs Samurai debate to be a pretty pointless venture anyways, because both were expert and oftentimes veteran warriors who could not only spear their foes with a polearm or hack their opponents to bits with their swords (Supposing that their enemies were lightly armoured of course, otherwise they would try to pierce the armour or target a weakpoint or a place not defended by armour et cetera), but they would also be quite happy to wrestle or grapple their opponents into the ground and beat their foes to death… supposing that they lost their backup weapons of course and had only their hands left.

Therefor, i find all the Samurai>Knight or Knight>Samurai bullshit on this thread to be fairly nonsensical. Even without venturing into what selected time-periods or nationalities/clans of the Knights or Samurai are selected when considering the outcome of a fight, you have to also consider many other factors that frankly could have such an impact on a fight that you would actually have to pull out a time-machine and a teleporter and have real Knights and Samurai fight in order to have any basis on figuring out who would win.

Alternatively, people also have to think about weapon versatility, and frankly a given Knight, say from the 1400’s such as in Kingdom Come ought to have a more versatile arsenal than a contemporary Samurai from the 1400’s as well. While you can do many things with the Samurai sword for example, and i have even seen techniques similar to half-swording with a Katana, the lack of a sufficient crossguard means that the Knight will be able to pull off mordhau techniques and use his longsword like a hammer, as well as using the crossguard to hook his opponents sword or get his opponent’s weapon trapped or ‘caught in the cross’. The possibility of pommel strikes will also exist for both sides though it would probably be far less effective or efficient from the Katanas pommel then it would with the pronounced, and possibly spiked pommels that existed in the Late-medieval and early renaissance period for longswords.)

While the Samurai can draw upon a varied list of weapons for different jobs as well, such as the Ono axe or the Kanabo for delivering bludgeoning impact’s through armour or to hack through flesh, or the Yari to keep an opponent at distance and to also pierce through armour, the same also exists for Knights. A Knight can for example draw upon a polearm such as a billhook or a poleaxe and these can perform multiple roles in combat, from being able to hook an opponent or his weapons, to having an axe/chopping blade or hammer head as well as a spearhead or pointed spike for piercing through armour.

Versatility is important, because while a given Samurai might have to rely on using a Kanabo or a Yari to defeat his opponents armour, the Knight has a singular weapon that can perform in multiple roles, if perhaps not as efficiently in certain roles as a truly dedicated weapon. Why carry three individual weapons if you are capable of wielding a singular weapon that can perform the actions of all three, whilst having nowhere near the weight of all three individual weapons combined.

The creation of versatile weapon types was something that many European, Arabic and East Asian nations were developing on mainland Eurasia whilst Japan remained fairly Isolated within its own borders and confined within its own system and code of warfare meant that Japan lacked some of the key innovative features that European, Arabic and Asian weapons featured, from backspikes to spear-and-axe type weapons.

You then have physique, training, experience and armour to talk about as well, and i shall not speak on those if only to keep my post short.

To sum it up, i think that any assertions of Knights kicking Samurai asses or Samurai kicking Knightly asses should be left out of this thread, even though this thread has been around for longer then a year and is probably largely abandoned. I have seen Knight Vs Samurai thread wars break out before, and there is a lot of shit-posting and misconceptions that get propagated and thrown around from all sides that really shouldn’t be.

And finally, now that i am here… i would not mind seeing a mod such as this for Kingdom Come.

3 Likes

The Samurai would tear a Knight a new ass hole. The Samurai has better training, better armour, better weapons, ect. Lets not forget all he would have to do is push the Knight over and watch as he can’t get up. The Katana is probably the best sword the world has ever seen, nothing matches it in cutting power, or speed and I’m willing to bet it could cut through plate armour.

Also Japan was way ahead of Europe in terms of Technology, their steel still is the finest in the world. It took guns to finally bring the Samurai down, meanwhile the Knight was defeated by peasants with bows. Samurais are extremely quick and could land a killing stroke before a knight even knew what was going on.

This video show cases how shitty a longsword really was.