Lacks raw combat/violence

There are very few things that I can say about this game that doesn’t appeal to me, because almost everything looks wonderful. My only issue is the combat. I know the creators are going for realism, but perhaps it’s a little “too real.” The combat feels somewhat sluggish and uninteresting. I’m surprised by the little amount of blood; I would assume this game would feature more blood. The game is clearly going to be rated M because of all the profanity I’ve heard, so why not up the level of violence/blood? I also wish the combat could be more fluid; it really does seem sluggish

You could probably wait for modders to do something along the lines of adding extra blood + gore et cetera.

The game is going to support modding, and you can bet a pretty penny that a modder is going to have the same thoughts that you have and add that little bit of extra blood into the game.

1 Like

You are not alone with your wish (personally it´s okay for me). There are many comments at the videos like this

or

I´am sure, WH is aware of this…
Maybe we will see more in the beta…

If you are looking for more blood and gore:

Check Chivalry or this

2 Likes

It has been confirmed that your clothes will get visibly dirty and bloody overtime, which will impact how npcs react to you, so Im pretty sure that the lack of blood during combat is just a work in progress thing which will be changed. You might notice that your sword gets always bloody after a few hits, which wouldnt make sense if there wasnt more blood added to the combat later. There is also a lot of realisticaly looking dark blood on the ground in the burned Kolben estate, which shows that warhorse has no problem with adding blood.

2 Likes

I’m not big on RPGs, so maybe this type of combat is common in most RPGs, but it does seem a little too dry. Given that there’s going to be sieges, large-scale battles, etc…I would think the creators would want the players to feel the impact of combat; this includes limbs falling off, wounds, decapitations, and so on. From what I’ve seen, the player’s screen simply becomes blurry when attacked, and he he kills an enemy (or peasant), they simply fall to the ground like a sack of potatoes. It’s not very engaging. Perhaps I’ve been spoiled by “Chivalry: Medieval Warfare,” which I did play not too long ago. Is it difficult to implement limbs, decapitations, blood, etc…in RPGs?

the issue is realism. decapitation was rare on a battle field. dismemberment also does not happen with single swing like most movies and video games.

there are several topics on realistic gore id link to but im on the jhon at work, so try using the search feature.

I would suggest the developers sacrifice some realism in exchange for an engaging combat experience lol. I was watching the crime system gameplay on YouTube, and I was disappointed with the way the combat looked. Never mind the lack of blood/gore, it just seemed stilted and sluggish. I hope that doesn’t translate into the sieges and full-scale battles, because that’ll make for an uninteresting experience. I’m quite surprised more people haven’t brought this up. Am I the only one who thinks the combat is unsatisfactory? Again, I’m basing this off of what I’ve seen online. Surely I can’t be the only one who thinks the combat is a little lackluster, right?

This statement makes no sense to me, the most engaging combat experience is one that captures the feeling of combat and allows you to get lost in the immersion of the battle.
To date the combat system in the KC:D alpha is the most immersive combat experience I have ever played, this is of course a subjective opinion.

There have been some complaints but mostly about the control layout and the difficulty.

I was highly skeptical when I first saw the combat I didn’t understand how the lock on mechanic would work or feel and it overall looked disappointing.
That faded immmediatly the first time I tested it getting my ass handed to me repeatedly.

It plays far more smoothly then it looks, there are always improvements (minor tweaks) that can be made (will be made until release). Allot of the content out on youtube is of streamers that usually do not have very good PC’s on of that the latest alpha was not optimized causing FPS drops which makes for sluggish gameplay.

2 Likes

you are in the minority, likely because you didn’t do too much research into the game before you came here. most people here want realism and historical accuracy. there are plenty of frenetic hash and slash games out there with exaggerated blood and gore.

hi, ive been checkin out a couple vids of the game and im pretty excited for it, but im just curious if there will be atleast a bit more gore in the game later on. for example when you hit people in the videos it doesnt show much info on how badly you hurt them or any blood but instead you just hear a thud-like noise from what i saw.
sorry if im reiterating what others have already said which i seem to be after reading other threads :grin:

Hey mate,

Keep in mind that the extent of the footage that’s been released is for the most part from tech alpha versions of the game, and may not be fully representative of what we can expect from the final product.

There have been a bunch of discussions on this very topic, just type in ‘gore’ into the forum’s Search feature and browse away at some of the associated threads.

I think it’s safe to say there will certainly be more blood and gore than we currently see in the alpha. What that means in terms of the final game however, is something only the devs know :wink:

4 Likes

Honestly, i think that there needs to be more blood, Because i know as a FACT that if you are stabbed in your jugular vein in your neck, there would be blood EVERYWHERE. Same with the femoral in your upper thigh.

1 Like

I participated In some protests that there should be more blood and/or gore in the other mentioned threads started by other like minded folk. The developers are aware of this and I’m sure it will be implemented more further into development.

Glad to hear that more violence will be implemented into the game. I just want to feel the impact when using a sword and whatnot

If i see over the top dismemberment on people dressed head to toe in plate armour i swear there will be violence and gore right here on this forum…

As far as implementing realistic gore goes, i’m all for it.

3 Likes

Personally I’m hoping for blood stains\blood soaked clothes, breaking armor and blood pools on the environment rather than Chivalry-style beheadings and dismemberment.

Is there any official word anywhere on the planned response mechanics?

1 Like

Clothing will be able to get blodied and dirty.

As for the other aspects not much has been officially revealed.

From my time here on the forums the impression the development team has given is there ill be blood and gore but with a continued focus on realism.

I’m usually pretty cautious when devs say that clothes can get bloodied. It often means a few general blood stained variations that take more color when the char takes damage (think GTA IV).

Pretty sure that will not be the case with KC:D, but you never know

I will rewatch it myself to be sure but from the video update I recall hearing about it, the staining seemed dynamic or at least convincingly so.

Its one of those aesthetic features thats subject to change a great deal through development, I hope to see more in the beta.

Im all for super realism, but id expect you to be able to skewer a peasant in padded armor with a well placed thrust with your sword, or hit the gaps in plate armor and see some blood come out afterwards. Looking at a lot of the beta footage i saw lots of instances where the player would hit the enemy in the exposed head multiple times with a sword and only a soft thud sound effect would come out, without a real consequence. I am not talking about full on dismemberment either, but some gruesome effects would be a nice reward after a long drawn duel. If you go for realism, go all the way, and not just on some aspects. At the moment the combat in a whole seems like playing with padded swords, although i love the underlying mechanics, it just lacks that one extra step.