Letter to The Developers

Hey Guys,

Long time follower here. Been watching the development of this game from the beginning. Couldn't afford to become a backed back then but preordered the game soon as I could. 

I see a lot of negativity on the forums here regarding your game. It’s got to be disheartening for young see all this. Your vision, your dream, your time and effort, your love and care for this endeavor all being torn down.

I want you to know that despite how it’s looking, many of us LOVE your game. It’s addicting. It drives us. We see the nuances and revel in them.

We want the best from this game and know you do too. So I decided to make this post here so we could share our love for the game and let you know we stand behind you. Many of us understand the design decisions you made and agree with them.

1. Combat- the system is good how it is. It adds depth and tactics to dueling.

Can it be better? Yes, adjust the targeting so you can flick back and forth between enemies easier. Multi opponent engagements is where the real difficulty is.

1. Lockpicking - the system relies on player skill. For consoles it needs to be more clear in explaining the need to move BOTH joystick but the overall system is good. As it does rely more on player skill though, I do think I should be allowed to attempt a lock even if it’s beyond my level.

2. Archery - No crosshairs. Most of us like that. Again, it’s player skill. Also, unless I’m mistaken, as you gain skill levels the speed of your draw and the amount of sway changes. The only change would be giving us some perks.

3. Pickpocketing - I did the training for it. The mini game is interesting and makes me feel like I’m actually picking a pocket. It’s not supposed to be easy. Don’t change it. I am however having an extremely hard time doing it as you get seen almost instantly. I think detection is a little too strong in regards to stealth.

4. Crime - as I said in Pickpocketing, detection is too high and needs adjustment. If I rob someone without being seen, guards still approached me hours later about my stealing. I’ve also killed someone out in the wilderness with no witnesses and been approached by guards days later about being a murderer.

5. jail - realism is great but the jail time counter moves way too slow. I agree we need to wait. Sucks but that’s the consequences of getting caught. However, waiting 20 minutes to play the game again because you got sent to jail is going to annoy many people. Making it a shorter wait time would help.

6. Saving - beds and Schnapps. The main ways to save in game need to remain the same. They don’t explain it right but what people are asking for is a temporary save file only used for quitting the game and storing your current world state. Once the game is continued you shouldn’t be able to go back to that save manually.

7. Weapons - there are a ton of swords. Perhaps more variations of all the other weapons? Also, allow daggers to be wielded as a weapon.

8. Horses - love the horses. Need a way to rename your horse. Also possible breeding in the future? And perhaps a way to sell or own horses you steal.

9. Make the first Miller a fence. Add fast travel near current fence.

10. Crafting - Alchemy is great, love it. Need ability to experiment to make potions. Blacksmithing and armorsmithing/tailoring need to be added eventually.

11. #House4Henry lol, perhaps give a chance to rebuild skalitrz and let Henry have his parents old home. Then maybe later on in either DLC or in KC2 he can be made Lord of Skallitz and move to the castle.

Other then these things, just basic bugs. Look guys we expect bugs. They happen and thus was expected. We know you’ll fix them.

Keep up the good work. This game was worth every penny and can only get better with additions and tweaks.

Please don’t go in and change the base game because a few people are salty. We know this was supposed to be a hardcore game. Complaining that it’s hard core is as ridiculous as the people who complained that dark souls was too hard.

News flash, that’s the point.

Sincerely,
Avid lover of KC:D

8 Likes

Lots of good points here. Happy to you see not complain about archery, pickpocketing, and lockpicking too much.

As for the last part with Skalitz, Lord Henry… really don’t think you’d ever see a peasant rise to be a Lord. As cool as that would be. Would be a great place to spend my 60k Groschen…

Also the idea with that miller is a fine one.

1 Like

It surely wasn’t an easy thing. Basically throughout his life rising through the ranks to knighthood, winning tournaments, fighting in the war. Being granted a title is definitely an option.

Not against it, just not entirely optimistic of seeing it :grin:

1 Like

Right?! And speaking of Archery. Would love to see an option for shortbows. Maybe with a shortbows you could fire from a crouch where as longbows require you to stand to fire.

I’d say that the steam review of “mostly positive” is a good thing. People can be pretty harsh on there and tear a games rep down based on 1 or 2 small things. Its the fact that the game in itself is amazing, yes there are things that need to be iron out, but it hasnt made the community of players completely disregard it and poison its rating on there.

I know thats only one platform but thats a good sign for me. They are making their money off the game, all that hard work IS paying off for them and they also seem to be ‘listening’ to us because they are addressing its issues.

1 Like

Spot on comments… love the game

2 Likes

The only reason I dont enjoy the game is the bugs, they fix them and im 100% happy with it, but being at a point where my current game is basically Unplayable is totally unacceptable, and I think that they should have taken more care in the release of the game to iron this stuff out.

Yes, more quality control by actively testing the game on all three systems and on lower end Pc’s would have helped.

If only WH had another year to finish.

Regarding crime I agree about guards having some weird automatic sense of what’s going on and I think npcs are a bit to easy to wake up during their sleep, but I’d like to add that a lot of the npcs have too low detection in terms of seeing or hearing the crime itself or just bandits reacting to your presence. There have been numerous times where I see bandits at the side of the road with me standing almost right next to them without them doing anything and the same goes for villagers you’re robbing etc.

1 Like

Yes, while other times, while crouch with less than 20 noise and 30 conspic/vis and hiding behind bushes I’ve been seen by bandits.

ya i wrote a similar thread talking about it… heres the link so you can add to it. Almost Disappointing.... Almost
Overall would i recommend the game to people OF COURSE… the idea of it and so many of its aspects are fucking amazing… most of the problems i have are Bug related and i assume will be fixed…

Alot of necessary animations are missing like pickpokecting lockpicking, routine actions like eating from pot, puting ingridients and such,

2 Likes

Woulkd be awesome if fletching is added to (shopping different kinds of wood to make arrows/bows)

2 Likes

Yes they could shorten the time but than it is lesser punishment. Think about a way to balancing it like losing some skill progression permanently. A player shouldn’t like that his Henry has to go to jail.

Next time I will try to put some sleeping potion in their dinner and see if it works.