Livesteam, Thursday 8th of September 2016, 7pm CEST

Decision?! Uh… Ok.

I love realistic games, unfortunatelly I recently keep hearing about those “tactical” choices that are not logical. So I grown a bit alergic to that. It is second only to “its just a game”. Argh!
It is what brings me to this game, after I read “100+ resons why Dan Vávra hates TES V Skyrim”.

I understand that you cant effectively fight armed oponent, block or riposte his attacks. But would it be so OP to be able to stab/slash at least with minimal damage?

I know it is not end of the world, the game still does look amazing (even more with the castle wall paintings) and Im happy about the polearms. You just stomp on my toe with this as I actually do play sneaky guys mostly. I wonder what that man in the beta cut-scene wanted to do with that dagger then.

Well, if you dont have mocap then it is done I guess. No point struggle over that. Could it be changed in second part?

In real life you have much greater control than with M+K and those instant kills reflect that. I actually never liked how I could not grab the target and stab him and instead had to attack forvard, hoping he will not start to walk or turn suddenly.
Not mention it look silly. Though couldnt attack if the instant kill fail is even more so.
I think that having both is the best way.

I don’t know, but it will be far more realistic if all NPC have different HP based on their gender, occupation, profession, skill set and attire. Still, they all should go down and dead with 1 weapon strike to the head if unaware and unprotected.

Sorry but it is very stupid desing decision. If your instant kill fails, what would you do? You would try to stab and slash your enemy. I can imagine i will be very frustrating, if you have dagger in your hand and you can’t attack.

1 Like

Okay, I have talked with @Vik about this questions regarding the dagger. It will be more useful then we have said it before.
You have have the dagger in the left hand and the sword in the right hand at the same time. If your opponent noticed you, you will fight with your sword, instead of the dagger, and you will keep it in your left hand. If you have the dagger in your left hand, and the sword in your right, there will be some special move after a combo for the dagger.
If you have only the dagger, you can fight in the “unarmed” mode with the dagger too, and the dagger will give you a bit of advance above really unarmed enemies, so the dagger will not be just useless, but you will not fence with a dagger as you would with a real weapon.
Regarding the insta kill of armored opponents, they will be killed through a stroke in the gaps of the armor, most likely the neck.

7 Likes

You’d probably use the dagger in the right hand if only using one weapon, but would use both the unarmed hand and the dagger for joint locks, throws and breaks as well as the dagger for stabbing/striking whichever hand the weapon is in. Ringen usually focusses on immobilising and controlling the opponent and his weapon, before finishing off (or taking prisoner), rather than direct attacks - that said the controlling actions are often intended to cause dislocation or breaks and drilling must be done cautiously.

Armpit, visor or groin are other vulnerable and ‘easy’ locations, though top of the shoulder between scapula and clavical and to the side of the neck in this area is the target we are taught for our dagger work in unarmoured fighting - ribcage risks breaks in training, and knife sticking in ‘real’ use. You can also strike the chin with the pommel during preparation for or following withdrawal from the stab, which along with pulling the opponents’ wrist with the offhand is used to keep the opponent off-balance and slow to recover, which is important as ‘instant’ kills are rare in the real world, and wounding and disengagement or control is needed to avoid mutual injuries.

No, and that is the big difference, the dagger will aways be in your left hand, as a kind of support weapon. The dagger will never be your primary weapon, even if you fight with the dagger only, if you have only the dagger, you will most fight with your right hand, and use the dagger with your left if you have the opportunity.
So the dagger is not just a short sword, the fight with the dagger is possible, but fighting with the dagger is more like unarmed combat than armed combat.

1 Like

Still better than just insta-kill stealth weapon.

3 Likes

Now you can already see our livestream from Thursday on our Youtube channel. If you missed it, just watch. If you already watched it, you can even watch it again. Wow, so many possibilities! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In game, sure. In reality you use your strongest weapon in your strongest hand - dagger only in the right, dagger and buckler with the dagger in the right, sidesword and dagger with the dagger in the left.

Your dagger is your primary parry in the ‘unarmed’ fight - it can be used along the forearm or supported by both hands to stop or deflect other daggers or even much larger weapons prior to grappling with the off hand, while simultaneously being used to bar in the opponent’s wrist to give an elbow lock and drive to the ground or draw off balance opening an opportunity to stab to the upper openings.

[quote=“Lieste, post:49, topic:29664”]
In game, sure. In reality you use your strongest weapon in your strongest hand.[/quote]

Yes, this is how it is. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was a bit disappointed by answer on my question about dedicated dagger slot. Tobi explained that there is dagger slot, but sadly, it is shared with shields and torches - in that case, its not “slot” its called “hand” :smiley: And every sensible person would have his dagger always on his belt, not hidden in backpack, pocket or how you want to imagine inventory. No, it would be on belt, always ready to be used, and even adding some social aspect (beautiful decorated dagger would make you look wealthy and honored).
This way, I can´t have shield ready for use aswell as dagger ready for use, which to me is really strange and impractical, even if there will be some inventory “quick slots” (which I don´t remember anything about, so its even worse).