Livestream discussion

Yeah that’s something I noticed right away. It doesn’t bother me too much on some of the characters but some other ones just needed more work. Not too worried about it I guess…there’s still time for them to try fixing on details like that later on development~

Quite impressing, considering it’s an early alpha. Two things REALLY pissed me off, though.

1. GPS-like quest markers on your compass. For Christ sake, how developers can’t see they TOTALLY screw the fun of exploration!!!??? Is it really that hard to provide players with enough info to find their goals? Developers should look closely to good European ARPGs such Gothic, Risen or S.T.A.L.K.E.R., instead of trying to emulate Bethesda’s crap.
  2. No level cap? Are they serious? There is no thing as dumb (and contrary to the very nature of an RPG) as a main character able to master any skill in the game. Choices and consequences are supposed to be an important part of character development as well as the spine of narrative.

PS: also I’m not a huge fan of cutscenes in first person games. They break the immersion and the gameplay flow.

1 Like

The interface is still in a very early stage so I’m not too worried about that, but I agree about being able to master every skill. I’m not sure if level caps are needed, but the game mechanics themselves ought to make it very difficult, if not impossible, to do this.

Yeah what Helena says. The game they showed us is a prototype to entice publishers. I am fairly certain that final game will have good quest descriptions and all that to avoid having to rely on quest markers and other BS like that. Although since the game is out for consoles too, it is probable they will keep this stuff optional for people struggling.

1 Like

A few words from the developers on these topics would be appreciated

The faces and voices and all of that are obviously unfinished, I’m not worried about that. I like how the world moves and feels, I like the atmosphere. The map is very nicely drawn, and the menus and signs and everything done “medieval style” is just perfect. I didn’t like the compass on top of the screen, too easy and not really immersive. And I’m really wondering if all of the debates and suggestions we’re creating here will be taken into account, or we’re just describing our ideal game in these forums, and the actual Kingdom Come will have nothing to do with that. It’s just for knowing what to expect. :smile: But I really like what I saw!

The game looks real promising, i began to love it even more then before after the live stream. the lands look real natural to me, i have never seen a game make the fields like this before. i am itching to see more of this game.

Indeed, being impaled like that should be insta-death. Also, it’s normal that the gambeson wasn’t stopping the blows. It might be able to turn aside a weak glancing blow but that’s about it. A gambeson was a padded piece of clothing worn underneath other armour to act as, well, padding :wink: … i.e. it was never intended as to be armour in itself, although quite often that might be all a poor infantryman or archer could afford.

Yeah, mounting horses from the left side stemmed from the fact that most -if not all- swordsmen were right handed and thus wore the scabbard on their left hip. If you mounted the horse from the left side then, it’s near side, you wouldn’t have the scabbard interfering with that; getting in your way, banging into the horse.

Actually gamberson WAS an armor itself, probably the most common kind in a XV century battlefield. Quite useful considering how cheap it was to produce, especially against piercing and blunt weapons. Sure, it was also worn under other kind of armor, but due to his inherent effectiveness.

As I said. It was most prevalent with the poorer type of soldier but it wasn’t terribly effective. It would do bugger all against a thrust and would have limited effectiveness against blunt force trauma.

Absolutely loved the textures(even for an alpha) and the grass effects looked really great. Another thing that really stood out was the road textures which had holes filled with mud mixed with water. Living in a place with a LOT of rain, I can safely say that the road textures there looked exactly like they would in real life. Dialogue-wise, its understandable that the animations are stiff even though it felt really out of place due to the amazing level of detail shown to us outside of the dialogue. The voices, even as placeholders, did very well and I can only imagine the quality of the actual voice actors being much better.

However, there is one slight doubt that I have(don’t flame me pls ;-;). It’s something to do with the script and the choices you can make from what I’ve seen in this build. This is in the beginning of the game I’m not sure if they’ll address this in a future update or further in the story but basically, the choices you can make in the dialogue seem rather few, unremarkable and don’t really branch out enough. For example, when someone asks you about your past, I wouldn’t like to have my character spurt out everything, but rather have a choice as to whether or not I want to tell him/her of my true past. I wish you can lie and cheat your way through almost all situations, and become better at it as you go along. This would add alot of depth to the bard and even the thief class. And if the person you lied to finds out the truth(maybe if you committed a crime and someone saw you and told that person or spreads it such that that person hears of it), your relationship will worsen drastically. Of course I hope for even more branches of dialogue. Again this is the beginning of the game so hopefully these choices are already in the game, but in a later part.

TL;DR Looks amazing for an alpha but dialogue choices seem limited, but its the beginning of the game so hopefully more choices arise as the game goes on.

I think this stream just showed us that this game has so much promise!

I’m fine with a compass in the game, but I’m also fine with players having to refer to their map to orient where they are relative to where they need to go.

It’s easy to say “just let people learn how to determine where they are and what time of day it is based on the sun,” but we live in times where the vast majority of the people out there probably couldn’t do that without at least having some familiarity with landmarks and so on.

Maybe it could be learned in-game for those who aren’t used to doing that, or the compass could be an option players can either turn on or off at their choosing.

This is one of those things where it’s usually in there somehow for purposes of keeping a game from just being too difficult to navigate through, but I can see why some people would not want it in automatically. It would lead to more immersion in the world but there’s still a balance that needs to be found between that and something more people will want to deal with. I don’t think a compass dumbs a game down.

4 Likes

The poorer type of soldiers were the prevalent type of soldiers at the time.
That being said, few kinds of armor are effective against trusts, but few kinds of armor are better than gambeson against impact weapons. Having a gambeson under your chainmail would have made all the difference of the world against a mace blow. Actually the primary function of this kind of armor was to cushion impacts reducing their momentum.

This is exactly the problem that developers face when making new games. The average gamer now is lazy and unwilling to truly explore a game. If they weren’t able to find the quest easily they would complain the game was “unclear” or “poorly designed” when in fact it just emphasizes exploration. I know that was a sweeping generalization but one I believe to be true unfortunately.

After the black death the number of “poor” soldiers in most armies got drastically reduced… Their combat value compared to the fact that a poorly trained and equip soldier eat as much as a proper men-at-arm. So it was simply better to have fewer men-at-arm than larger numbers of militia…
And by this time we see some early use of mass produced munition quality armor…

It’s just part of the balance that needs to go into most games. I don’t mind trying to learn things as I go, but the learning curve ought to be reasonable. As much as we might want a game to be as realistic as possible, sometimes concessions need to be made or, at least, options given so it’s not TOO much of a niche game.

Difficulty aside, I think that’s why it’s important to give people enough options and room to play how they want to play, within reason. I mentioned L.A. Noire here recently in the sense I turned off all cues and clues when I was playing detective and trying to find evidence at a crime scene because it immersed me a lot more in the game. I might miss something, but it was more authentic than just walking around until I got a sound or a vibration that told me I was standing in front of something I could pick up.

They also had a creative way of incorporating a version of GPS into the game: your partner in the car told you to turn or keep going straight if you asked him for directions. Maybe that’s still cheating a little, but the guy could really know the streets or have his own map. :wink:

I don’t mind making a player work at it to find satisfaction - and having to refer to the map more often in this game would be good because it looked so great during the livestream - but everyone has different points where they’ll simply say “Not worth it” and move on to something else. Limiting that chance is not a bad thing. Again, so long as there are options for people who want varying degrees of challenge.

They probably would have been able to answer some questions if people weren’t too busy trolling during the actual lifestream. However, some things probably haven’t been decided yet.

I like this nice video, the game looks very well, but i not like the cutscenes and dialog camera. This third person cameras brake the inmersion. I think first person camera without fixed focused angles is much better.
Thanks for good work.