Lullaby: What I have Learned

I’ve been getting into Farkle, and finding it fairly addictive. So I wanted to expand my collection of doctored dice. Presently I have “Odd Dice” and “Lucky Dice” both of which seem to function as advertised on the tin. I will try to avoid spoilers in this thread, so I won’t explain how I came to own those two, lets just say “exploration” is the key.

So I found a fellow in one of the villages with name “place-name_Player” and he was wearing nicer clothing that your avg peasant. Clearly the local Gambler. So i sat down to a round of dice with him somewhat trepiditiously, and kept the wager at the default level of 50 G. Managed to beat him, but I think the Farkle algorithm has a last minute probability roll on the round when your opponent is in easy striking distance of 4000 and there is an at least 50% (maybe higher) chance that the opponent will not make it across the 4000 point finish line if he is let say , below a certain threshold at the outset of the round. At least half dozen times I’ve seen the opponent lose with 3950 or 3900 points and me jumping up from 2900 ballpark to snatch a win from the jaws of defeat. Anyway a tangent . . .
Long story short, this guy had one of those cool “devil head” dice and I think maybe one other dice of the cheaty variety and I decided I wanted them.
I spent all day watching him from the corner of the courtyard and finally found that he bedded down at night inside the kitchen/dining room on one of the benches, Ishmael-Style. With that bit of intell gathered I decided I needed to raise up my pickpocket skill more, so I headed off to a more remote location than I was in to harass some of the rural workforce.

Found a worker’s camp with four workmen all still sleeping and pickpocketed each of them at least twice while the night lasted. My assumption here is: each time you interfere with them, their probability to become alerted is temporarily raised–that is what my observations suggest to me. So the routine I follow is: pickpocket one bloke and if there isn’t an item in an adjacent slot to the “door” exit, and move to the next guy. Repeat and only actually steal if an items is in one of the two adjacent spots. While this method is a bit tedious and more time consuming, I’ve found that I can manage to avoid getting caught much more reliably than if I just stay at one NPC repeatedly targeting him with pickpocket.

The other “method” of crime I’ve come up with (which is the main topic of this thread) is to wait until either morning or noon (they don’t seem to eat an evening meal) and drug them with Lullaby. Here is what I’ve learned.

For the rural workers (charcoal and woodcutters as well as Quarry): they wake up after a nights sleep sometime between about 5:50 and 6:15. They always wake up one at a time, and with time spacing between wake ups so that they don’t interfere with one another. So for example, if there are three guys in the camp, number one might wake up at 5:59, number two at 6:00, and number three at 6:01 (on real time scale, which would be more like 15 minutes of in game time between each wake up).
After waking up they go to the storage locker where clothing is stored and get dressed. Then they go to wherever their bowls are stored and get a bowl. They fill their bowl sit down and eat. Then they take there bowl back to the storage spot, and (without being drugged) go on about their day. In the few times I’ve examined the lunch schedule it is much the same.
The result of this is that, you get two or more NPCs mirroring one another’s behaviors in sequence and only a “few minutes” apart relative to the pace of events in the game. This is obviously a perfect opportunity to use Lullaby in (seemingly) one of the ways the designers intended it to be used: to drug NPCs in order to facilitate player mischief. Here is what I have learned.
You can place the drug into the pot as early as the moment you see the NPC starting to rouse from bed, it will still work. I have not tested whether you can do it an hour or more before they rouse. However, I have my doubts that it would work. My guess is, the potion “wears off” after an Hour or so in game. Much of the game’s behavior cycles seem to be reducible to the “one hour” in game time (around 4 minutes in player “real time”) so that is just a hunch on my part.
Placing two or more doses immediately before an NPC gets his food does not have a more prolonged or powerful effect.
After eating the drugged food, they take their bowl back, then instead of going on about their daily business, they go back to the nearest bed. They do not necessarily go to the bed they woke up from. They then sleep for around one hour (have not taken the time to check this thoroughly but it seems to be one hour max that you can knock them out. . .)
No matter how many doses you put in the pot, one hour seems to be the max, however in some camps, I’ve found that, after the drug wears off and they get up again, they will repeat their morning awakening routine and go for another bowl of stew. So it is in theory possible to drug them multiple rounds. I did not observe this with all camps however.
While they are drugged, they can still detect failed pickpocketing attempts. They don’t seem to be any less cognizant than when they are just asleep normal mode.
So that is one method to level up pickpocketing!
I have yet to try any of the other ingestibles, e.g., Moonshine or poison, to see how that works.

3 Likes

Is’t the dice throwing also tied to one of your stats (vitality or agility). I noticed the higher my stats are, the better dice i throw. I don’t have ay special dice, however i can get up to 2000/3000 points in one round

I think it must be agility. I have a perk which I’m pretty sure is under agility that is something like “perfect throw” which refers to dice rolls. I wasn’t sure if that was from perkaholic though.

1 Like

My favourite setup is three odd dice and a shot of Pribyslavitz Boar. I’d say I average 2000 points per turn. The Boar is extremely OP.

I’m guessing the boar is a potion I have yet to encounter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The odd dice is nice, but 3 is also an odd number and he does seem to roll that quite a bit too. Lucky on the other hand, he just seems to “know” what to do, and he also seems to do a good job of “pretending” he isn’t a funny dice. Of course, just anecdotal but: if I can whittle my set down in one or two sub-rounds to 3 remaining (two fair dice and “Lucky”) it seems pretty danged often I’ll get three scoring numbers and can re-roll the whole six a second time. I was kinda surprised when the first NPC pulled that on me! :astonished: The rules in the tool tip window don’t really seem to describe that mechanic but next time I had a chance to do it myself: EEYUP! That clearly is how the game is played masterfully: keep holding out for clearing the table and doing a re-roll of the whole six. I managed to score about 3300 in my first round on a recent match.

You have to do the After the Ashes dlc. It’s brewed in the Pribyslavitz Inn, and gives you a dice throwing buff.

Look for it in the thing that looks like an oven.

1 Like

Cool. I think I may actually take a step back from the game. What I’d like to do is mod “hardcore mode” so that it is REALLY hardcore, but adds a few things back in that to me are just silly to take away (e.g., a nutritional status indicator at all times, all this does is force the player to click more times, it doesn’t add a god damn bit of “extra challenge” to the game, just BS interface fiddling). I also find the “required disabilities thing” just not my type of “challenge” so instead of that, I’m thinking in terms of:
Marigold potion heals only 10hp and it takes 12 hours for it to take full effect
Lazarus heals only 30 and it takes 12 hours for it to take full effect

In sum, “healing up” from just swigging something will be NOT an option. the potions are there to keep you from dying but once you are injured, you are going to need convalescence to heal up. I don’t think i have EVER, in 250 hours of play actually had to sleep to heal, that is bad. If I find that actually sleeping to heal is too fast, I’d try to slow that down too. Not to actual “realistic” levels but to levels which make getting hurt much less of a “no biggie” issue and much more of a “Damn THIS sucks!” issue.

Prices: probably about 10x increase across the board in things which peasants would never have bought buy (fancy clothing, weapons from a swordsmith, armor, potions). The food and drink can stay the same, but basically anything and everything which allows Henry to operate like a D&D "Adventurer needs to cost a LOT more. Also the return on selling such items needs to be dramatically curtailed. Not sure . . . maybe /5? That might not be enough . . . Even with hardcore mode, I can toss most of my groschen into the chest, and keep only lets say 200 and head out in the morning, pick herbs or sell some junk I got, do some gambling and by end of day have 4000 groschen or so in my pocket. The idea that a peasant can just walk outside and through mundane lawful activities amass the wealth that a Lord would regard as a “good amount for a night on the town” is absurd. Lets say reduce the amount of selling items to only /8 That would reduce the hypothetical “one days take” I describe above from 4000 groschen to 500, which is still a LOT.

I think the fences should still buy at the same prices they offer in the unmodded game. This places greater “value” on being a crook, which right now, there is literally ZERO reason to be a crook, apart from just to see how it works . . . hmmm, no actually that wouldn’t work; then the player would just sell EVERYTHING to Pesheck and Wojckei . . . damn . . .

The alchemy . . . hmmm, not sure there. I think ideally, access to the alchemist benches should require having finished a fairly elaborate quest arc, but I’m certainly not even going to imagine “modding” something like that into the game. So with that said, I guess just reducing the sell rates which Henry commands is the best option.

2 Likes

thank you for the observations publication.

about the hardcore mode, amongst the ridiculously low prices*, too many places to eat for free. the food wasn’t a thing to throw out in these times, it was valuable, and even middle-class people weren’t used to eat each time they wanted to. as well, it wasn’t surprising for people to go sleep hungry.

*) a set of clothes had the price of a cow in England and pretty close to this in Russia, and it was a lucky day to buy pants for the price of a piece of bread. a horse suitable for combat had cost more than a mill with building and all tools and mechanisms. and at the same time, pigs were available for free: in towns, stray pigs were pest animals.

when played the first time, often had to sleep in camps etc outdoors. have never been robbed while sleeping, what looks disappointing: not much sense to book the inn bed if you can sleep for free and eat for free. inns were considered a safe place for travelers to sleep.

1 Like

Interesting! Feral pigs are a pest in many rural areas of North America now too! Many states have open season of some sort on them; I don’t even think there is a “season” to kill them, though there may be some sort of permit. Got a buddy who goes on pig hunts in Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas from time to time, and is always killing varmints on his cattle land.

Damn, that is an EXPENSIVE horse!

what does he do with killed animals? are those ok to eat? how’s the taste?

about the inns, I recall a normal inn was more like a modern hostel where guests are sleeping in the rooms together (several rooms were available tho to give a person a chance to sleep with people of the same social class/income level, but not gender - at least in western culture). servants were sleeping in the “stables” (stables, barns and maintenance structures) - it wasn’t free as well, but a place in a normal room has a way higher price, and a personal room wasn’t for a regular purse. so while 2 groschen is sorta ok for a bedroll in Uzhits, I think the price must be at least tenfold higher in Rattay and Sasau.

having a place to sleep, doesn’t matter an owned or a rented one, didn’ mean a person has a kitchen or even a place to eat (like a table with a bench). there was a demand for fast food eateries, especially in the cities and market towns, but numerous peddlers had sometimes cheaper food. in medieval Russia, street fast food was looking like pieces of boiled meat (cheapest possible, even the lard) and cheap bread served with guy’s bare hands to your bare hands. semi-stationery peddlers with big kettles offered the offal (or whole head) broth and bread (often stale: you had to soak it with the broth to consume). the hot broth was served in mugs you had to return after use. add to this the scarcity of clean water… aww, come on, a little spit has never killed anybody.

wolves were an important part of life. time to time it happened people who traveled from a village to the city were disappearing.

summing it up, it would be fun to play with realistic prices, and with hungry wolves instead of free food.

Mostly the ferals are just left for the carrion eaters to consume them. I think if one were to harvest them, it might breach the rules; not sure.

They are literally, one of the single worst environmental degradation factors in North America at present, or at least in the southern half of the U.S. The problem is: domesticated pigs having been getting lose and going into the wilderness for decades, but for some reason in the past 20 or 30 years, the populations of them have been growing substantially. They are extremely destructive to woodlands, shrublands, and grasslands/savannas, though especially in the former two.

Not sure all the details, but, must have been 15 or 20 years ago I met a caver buddy at a CRF expedition who worked for the Bureau of Land Management in Smokey Mountains region. This guys job was nothing but: drive around in a truck with a couple of hunting rifles/shotguns, and kill feral pigs.

1 Like

great sport! would like to participate :slight_smile:

1 Like

So a related set of questions about Dollmaker.

Finally got the recipe for that, and brewed up several scores of potions (as well as a lot of BANE!)

1. I see threads saying Dollmaker is quite effective on melee weapons if not also arrows: is this true?

2. Is it possible to put two or more potions on one arrow? For example Dollmaker + Bane?

3. It would seem that Lullaby was not really intended or use on weapons, and the vague consensus from the interwebs seems to support that speculation.

Back on topic :
Potions in cooking pot do not seem to wear off based on time, but more on (area) save/load.

In my Merciful achievement playthrough, I used to drop Bane poison in cumans’ cooking pot around midnight when they’re asleep (night sentries seem to go to sleep around 6), then wait for them to get up (around 8, except for the night sentries) and eat breakfast. They would die in a matter of minutes, which would alert their nearby friends, but they’ll then resume their eating routine, and end up dead one by one (quite fun actually).

BUT if I save then reload the game between the time I drop the poison, and the moment they wake up, the food is apparently no longer poisoned.
Same (IIRC) if I poison the pot, go roaming elsewhere then come back again. The game seems to “forget” that the pot was poisoned.

My take is that the game only remembers that the poison was dropped if you stay in the area, without reloading.

Also, this mods has an in-depths analysis of what different poisons do, game mechanics-wise : https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/504

1 Like

Good to know!

I guess the lullaby would work the same way then. However, I’m getting the impression that you used ONE bane to poison multiple guys? I might need to repeat my observations but my recollection is that Lullaby doesn’t work that way. One guy affected per lullaby put into the pot . . . could be wrong though.

ADDIT: I skimmed over the description for that mod. Based on my own observations, I don’t think the mod’s claims about how vanilla works are still valid. For example, the description says vanilla Lullaby doesn’t work when put into the stew pot and I am quite certain it does. I’ve watched at least a dozen civilian NPCs get up at around 6am, eat stew I had poisoned and go right back to bed for one hour.

Warhorse is to be applauded for having continued to make so many improvements and fixes to the game over the past year, and apparently having paid attention to the feedback from users and the things which mod makers were creating to address issues.

The down side of this is: there are a lot of mods which are either no longer necessary, no longer compatible or just plain won’t work right. Large numbers of mods came out shortly after release and then there was a wave of updates in late spring. A few mods have continued to be updated, but unfortunately (anecdotally observing) the rate of new ones and the rate of updates seems to have declined.

Indeed, usually one Bane was enough to clear a 4-6 people camp, but I think that sometimes, they did not all die. It’d need more testing though.

Also, you’re right about the rate of new mods and update. I really hope that Warhorse will release mod support before the hype dies totally out. :frowning:

1 Like